Author Topic: Discovery Health Channel--Sjogrens  (Read 24746 times)

genko_b

Re: Discovery Health Channel--Sjogrens
« Reply #60 on: April 27, 2008, 08:25:55 AM »
Rheumatic fever, hmmm. Both my brother and I had that as children, and then as a young adult I had a bout of pericarditis that came out of nowhere. It was immediately after that I began developing the symptoms that were diagnosed as rheumatoid arthritis. Is there any connection, or is it just a very common childhood disease for people our age?

Genko

Linda196

• Administrator
« Reply #61 on: April 27, 2008, 09:16:09 AM »
Genko, I don't know how common it was considered to be, but I've always wondered if it had any bearing on my health history as an adult. After all, who knows if it was even correctly diagnosed back them. I, too, have had a couple of bouts of pericarditis (enough that now I don't even go to the doc, just take the NSAIDS for 2 weeks...I know, not the way to handle it at all  ::) ).

I'm sorry if my memory is faulty about this, but is the brother who had RF as a child the same one you referred to as having had sarcoidosis? I worked with a medical resident who was fascinated by my history, and used it in one of his studies...he seemed to think there was a strong link between the RF, the Sarc, and all the AIs. Too bad he was "only a student" and not in a position to actually do some real beneficial research...last I heard he was a medical missionary, so I doubt that he has time for much of anything but his practice.
Please check out our home page at http://www.sjogrensworld.org/index.html {{INCLUDES A LINK TO AMAZON SHOPPING!!}}
; and live chat at https://kiwiirc.com/client/irc.dal.net/#SjogrensWorld

genko_b

« Reply #62 on: April 27, 2008, 10:39:45 AM »
Hi Linda:

Yes my brother who died of sarcoidosis had rheumatic fever. He was very ill with it and almost died. He was also a preemy, though, and his lungs never did work right. He had asthma and frequent bouts of respiratory infections as I recall.

Genko

Tamik

« Reply #63 on: April 27, 2008, 05:11:46 PM »
I never thought about my leg pains as a kid being related -I had "charlie horses" all the time as my grandma would say.  She would prop my legs up and bring me icecream!  My daughter (11) complains all the time of being thirsty and her legs hurting -the pediatrician refused to test her. I am switching her doctors.  He was doing labs on her anyway!  Arrogant kind of guy.  TamiK

genko_b

« Reply #64 on: April 27, 2008, 08:12:19 PM »
Good for you switching to a doctor who will listen. You may be able to save your daughter some discomfort by treating things early.

Genko

Shari

« Reply #65 on: April 28, 2008, 04:53:30 PM »
Celticgoddess~~~My sympathy on your Moms passing.  My Mom was also deaf..the four days my sister and I were at her bedside in the hosp. involved touch and singing with her hand on my chest so she could feel me sing.  Thinking of you.

Keep up the gardening~~!!  Yes, just when things have leveled off and adjustments are made some other ailment rears it head~~especially after a stressful time.

back on track~~~~can someone give me a time when the documentary will be re aired?/  Thanks

~~Shari~~

Pooh

« Reply #66 on: June 15, 2008, 03:46:51 PM »
Just thought I would let everyone know that missed this.  It will be repeated tomorrow night Monday June 16th, on the Discovery Channell at 10:00 P.M. 

Pooh

sunamie

« Reply #67 on: June 17, 2008, 03:45:55 PM »
Pooh

Was switching channels and found it on last night. Caught the last half of it.  Hoped they would talk more about it. I recently was diagnosed (3 months)and am just starting to deal with my symptoms. Last year I had extreme heartburn and pancreatitus (sp). Sounds like things were brewing then.

I also have had what I thought was hot flashes from menopause for three plus years now. Is anyone always hot and have flashes? If I do not have "moving air" with a fan at my desk I cannot stand to be in the office. Of course the air cannot hit my eyes!   My husband says I am the only one with air conditioning on in the car in the winter. Thank goodness we have dual control.

Sunamie

Pooh

« Reply #68 on: June 17, 2008, 04:00:52 PM »
Sunamie,
I'm sure it will be back on soon, it made the rounds the last time.  Keep an eye on your channel listings.

I had similiar problems with the hot and cold phases, but then they suddenly quit.  Don't know why, but I wasn't going to inquire either.  I sure didn't want them back.   I sometimes get a spell where I can't get warm, but it doesn't last very long. 

I hope you can get your "thermostat" regulated, it's very uncomfortable when you go through this.

Pooh

mcdreamyfan

« Reply #69 on: June 22, 2008, 08:34:09 AM »
I was very disappointed in the show. I recorded it last night and had my husband watch it with me.... There was NOTHING new in that show.  Maybe it was good for someone who has Sjogerns and didn't know it, but for a person with Sjogerns it wasn't 'enough'.... sorry but I was disappointed in the show... :'(

Nathan

« Reply #70 on: August 26, 2008, 02:36:15 PM »
This is on again this weekend. I missed it the first time. (And I'm a Mystery Diagnosis junkie too...)