Author Topic: Has anyone been to Mayo for eye treatment?  (Read 2393 times)

eyeamdry

Has anyone been to Mayo for eye treatment?
« on: August 25, 2008, 03:19:47 PM »
I saw my long-time ophthalmologist today.  We are at the end of the line as far as treatment.  He doesn't know what else to do for me.  (This is a long story and involves lasik surgery, dry eyes, cataract surgery, Sjogrens..etc. etc.)  I went in wearing my goggles and with an icepack over my left eye.  I've been in excrusiating pain for 4 days.  I'm also on the autologous serum drops.

He is sending me for an MRI of the brain/head and this will be the 3rd in 8 years.  He'll have them to compare to see if anything shows.  He spoke of referring me to another ophth neurologist in Lansing.  He also mentioned Mayo and I'd been thinking of it.  Does anyone here have knowledge of eye clinic at Mayo Clinic?  I'll also do some research on the internet.  The idea of this pain is that it's from a nerve or nerves and there is just no way of knowing for sure.  I've spent the past 4 days taking extra Vicodin and lying around with ice on my eyes.  No way to live.
Lucy

Pooh

Re: Has anyone been to Mayo for eye treatment?
« Reply #1 on: August 25, 2008, 03:25:53 PM »
Aww Lucy, you can't seem a get a break no matter what you do.  I wish I had some information for you, but my knowledge of this type of eye problem is nil. 

I hope you find the doctor soon that will know what this is and how to cure it.  You will be in my thoughts and prayers as always.  Hang in there girl, I pray there be better days coming. 

{{{{{{{{{Hugs}}}}}}}}},

Pooh

genko_b

« Reply #2 on: August 25, 2008, 03:42:22 PM »
Ouch ouch ouch! I'm so sorry you are having to deal with this.

While it sounds nowhere near as bad as yours, since July I've had a headache behind my left eye as well. The neurologist and rheumy between them put me on a prednisone taper for it since they assume it's auto-immune in nature. Before that I was on massive painkillers including vicodin, and ended up in the ER for demerol shots as well. They did scans and MRIs and ruled out temporal arteritis, but have no further ideas. The prednisone has helped, but now that I'm almost done the taper I can feel the headache breaking through again. So my thoughts are with you.

I would be very interested if you find someone who knows what is going on with your eye.

Genko

eyeamdry

« Reply #3 on: August 25, 2008, 06:07:19 PM »
I'm pretty sure it's trigeminal neuralgia.  This is the kind of things that lasik surgery can cause and no one acknowledges it or knows what to do about it.  At one point the ophehalmologists "didn't know" that lasik can cause dry eye.  It took several years of patients like me yelling and saying "oh, yes it can" for them to acknowledge it really does at times.  It's now put in informed consent. 

LenV

« Reply #4 on: August 26, 2008, 08:36:26 PM »
Lucy,
See my post to you on dryeyezone.  I'd type it again but moving and packing has destroyed my hands.  Swollen bad.  Good luck.

Billye