Author Topic: Am sick of WINTER---vent  (Read 18062 times)

irish

• Global Moderator
Re: Am sick of WINTER---vent
« Reply #15 on: April 11, 2008, 09:31:29 PM »
Just another weather report from Minnesota. It has rained in southern Mn since yesterday and is in mid 30's and overcast and humid. The sump pump is running a lot and water is standing in the yards. We really needed the rain in this part of the state.

Our son lives 100 miles north and has had snow since yesterday but only about 4-5 inches. It is really wild and wooly in Duluth with 19 foot waves on Lake Superior and 60 mile an hour winds plus snow. My hubby is to go up fishing the end of June about 50 miles south of Canadian border. He just talked to someone who said that the lake they fish on up there has 3 feet of ice on it and they don't expect it to be open for opener. The first day of fishing season is usually around the 12th of May or so.

I havae a hard time beliving all this global warming when it gets like this. The pollution is another story though. I know that the air is really yukky down here cause on these cloudy days the heavy air holds in all the pollution and my sinuses just go crazy. Anybody else have that problem???? Irish ;D

Pooh

« Reply #16 on: April 12, 2008, 11:42:41 AM »
Oh Happy, Happy, Joy, Joy, Frankie is alive! :D :D  I was out in the yard a bit ago and happened to pull some trash from one our bushes.  There was Frankie's little house, so as I usually do, I tipped it up and there was not only Frankie, but another frog (or toad) with him.  This one is smaller so I can only surmise it's Mrs. Frankie. ;D

Oh I am so pleased to know that the cat didn't get him.  It was evidently a poor toad from across the road at the farm below us. 

Look's like I might need to add on to Frankie's clay pot abode. ;D

Happy Spring everyone,

Pooh

eyeamdry

« Reply #17 on: April 12, 2008, 12:41:29 PM »
I am glad Frankie is o.k.  Today took a turn for the worse, weatherwise, as we knew it would.  Rain is forecast for several days in a row.  It is also cold.  Not a nice warm spring rain, but a chilling to the bone rain. 

You see, we are getting those rain clouds after they leave Minnesota.  Due east.   If global "warming" is true, it ain't hitting Michigan.  At least not this spring. lol.  ......I'm still happy because I know summer is close.  However, if it rains every day.......well, maybe it will be one of the cold summers in the midwest. We'll have to wait and find out.  Be sure and protect Frankie from the cold.  Lucy

P.S. Coming home from a late event tonight, it was SNOWING. ::)
« Last Edit: April 12, 2008, 10:17:13 PM by eyeamdry »

Shari

« Reply #18 on: April 12, 2008, 05:03:38 PM »
Oh, the wonders of Spring Pooh!! :D

I have a large basket full of stuffed animal frogs here that the kids love to play with.  We have weddings, river trips on a raft, game shows,dances, plays,ocean adventures, etc.

There are big frogs, small frogs, dark green frogs, light green frogs, boy frogs, girl frogs, princess frogs,and even a super hero frog.!  And then there is FRED, the very first of the collection.  We have a ball.

So glad Frankie is home safe and sound.  You must have been so happy!

Take care~~Shari~~

Rania

« Reply #19 on: April 12, 2008, 05:37:41 PM »
Weather isn't good here either. We've had a very green winter, but now it is supposed to be spring, with lillys and tulips and daffodils in the garden. But what do we have? Snow!!!  >:(
I try to be positive through it all, but it is hard when the body feels like someone has fired a gun with hail through every single muscle and joint.

I've tried to write some articles on the net today, to keep my mind off the weather and such, but I think my computer hates me. I constantly loose what I just typed.

I'm not friend with my computer today.

I just have to go to bed, and hope it will all feel better tomorrow. Sigh.

Gentle hugs from Rania, ready to jump to bed.
« Last Edit: April 12, 2008, 05:39:17 PM by Rania »

irish

• Global Moderator
« Reply #20 on: April 12, 2008, 06:55:32 PM »
Pooh, Maybe you can put some paint or fingernail polish on the back of your toads so you know which ones really belong to you. lol Something non-toxic doncha think!!!!

Glad to hear that your little buddies are still alive and kicking. Get ready for some wooly weather. Irish ;D

LenV

« Reply #21 on: April 12, 2008, 08:11:40 PM »
Rania,
I love your little pictures, especially the one of the person bopping the computer on the top with the bat.  Don't you just wish sometimes!!!  Mine makes me talk to myself my husband says. 

Weather here was georgeous!!!  Just georgeous!!!!  Tomorrow night we get frost and cold weather again.  Bahhhhhhhhh!!!!!!  Texas!!!

Billye

Rania

« Reply #22 on: April 15, 2008, 04:57:52 PM »
I felt those pictures reflected my feelings, so I put them in here. Glad you liked it Billye!! :) I will try not to put in too many of those who move inthe future, because of dizzyness and other health related issues we have. It is not so good for the eyes (and not to forget the head) to look at them.

I'm back complaining about winter again. Blah. I was ready to change the tires on my car, but then the white stuff came. again!!! Snow Grrrr!!!! It is melting right away, but I'm a bit scared if it comes in the evening, because then it might be cold and slippery because of temperature or wind. So I have to keep the winter tires on for some more days to come and I hate it.

The weather is constantly changing. One day it is hot and sunny, the next it is snowing and with an ice cold wind from the north. Daffodils have grown and are about to bloom, I just did not notice before now because it had been cold and awful weather for a long time. The deer has eaten my tulips right down to the ground, but snowbells are still blooming.

Well time to go to bed. I'm up because I cannot sleep because of the pain in my body. Always like that in the spring.

Take care, see you.

Rania  :)

irish

• Global Moderator
« Reply #23 on: April 15, 2008, 07:12:59 PM »
Rania, Sorry that you are having so much pain. I know you said it happens in the spring, but you sound like spring has not really come yet. The weather doesn't settle down and is not as good as it was when I was a kid.

Today in Minnesota it was 64 degrees and the winds were like 30-60 miles per hour. It just howls when it is like that. Can make a person really on edge. I always told my hubby I could never live further West or closer to the flat plains where the wind is even worst. I knew a gal from Tracy, MN who said that when the wind blows out there her dishes in her newer, very sturdy house would rattle.

Tomorrow I go to the doctor for recheck on the toe nail I had removed and it is to be windy again. Hope that you have a better night and that your weather gets better. I hope those darn deer enjoyed your flowers. The rabbits are really bad in our area. They just breed and the babies will be all over the flower garden. I want my hubby to buy me a pellet gun but I think he is afraid I will hurt myself. lol Irish ;D

eyeamdry

« Reply #24 on: April 15, 2008, 08:03:15 PM »
We are expecting those same winds here tomorrow, Irish.  No fishing for the hubby.  Lucy

Rania

« Reply #25 on: April 16, 2008, 03:57:39 AM »
Minnesota has a climate and a nature that is quite similar to where I live Irish! Two centuries ago, a lot of people emigrated from here and went to USA, and quite a lot settled in Minnesota and the surroundings. I also remember weather being different nopw from when I was a child. Something has definately changed. I'm happy Al Gore were among the Nobel prize winners because he (and others too) really understand how dangerous the global warming is. The glaciers has melted dramatically over the 30 years. The maps I used in school are totally wrong now.

I'm sorry about your toe. I hope it works out well. Nail removal is painful, but hopefully you have less pain now than before the removal. I hope the weather will behave and that it will not be very windy. We just watched the episode with the tornado on "Desperate housewives" on TV last night. It is dramatic how much damage wind and espescially tornados can make.

I'm sorry to hear about the rabbits. Yes they multiply right in front of you, and they eat whatever there is. We doesn't have that problem here, but we see rabbits sometimes. Deer and elk/moose is the main problem here right now. They hav arrived from heaven know where from the deep forrests, and they come to the roads in the evening when the dark comes. And sometimes they decide to run over the road too just in front of a car. Many of them are killed. The deer are kind of small, but the elks are dangerous because of their long legs. Not a good thing to get one of those in front of the car. Sedans often have then in the car, and the driver usually get badly injured or even killed.

Sounds like you really need that pellet gun! We have an airport closed up north, because a lot of birds, and then I mean  lot of them, hasjust arrived from south, and they are keeping themselves on a runway at the airpost. It is no use to use a gun, because the gun make them fly, and in 10 seconds they're back again. It isn't safe for planes to land, because they get into the engine. So it has to be closed this week, and maybe some days next week.

It's time for a nap again. The fatigue is horrible. I'm kind of proud that I managed to write this long post. I'm usually not able to do anything else than read these days. I wish I could post more. The board I'm a moderator on, is thankfully being repaired. The server has some errors and it takes time to fix it. I'm a bit happy about that! (Shhhh......!)
Bad thing to say really, but it would be hard for me to be a moderator the last days.

See you around here,

God's Blessings,

Rania   :)

Mark54

« Reply #26 on: April 16, 2008, 04:39:20 AM »
Irish,
     We have the same problem in Indiana with the rabbits. I caught 15 rabbits in my live trap last year and have already caught 4 this spring. Between them and the cats that are allowed to roam free they tear up my vegetable and flower gardens.
      If you get a pellet gun, make sure it is powerful. It almost takes a .22 gun to kill a rabbit. It's suppose to get to 70 degrees today! I'm ready!!!

God's blessings,

Mark....

Pooh

« Reply #27 on: April 16, 2008, 06:23:43 AM »
Good Morning Rania, I hope you are feeling better today.  Please take it easy and stay well. 

My daugther is having problems with the squirrels digging up her vegetable plants.  She said if they eat them, she wouldn't be as upset, but they just dig them up and drag them away.  Rabbits you can fence out, but the squirrels will get in no matter what you do. 

Those elk and deer are also a menace to those that ride motorcycles to.  My hubby had one jump down in front him about 10 yrs ago and he had the thing almost in his lap.  Thank goodness, he wasn't hurt badly, but it sure didn't do his motorcycle any good. 

I hope the weather over there comes right with the season and you get those tires changed.  Maybe you could get A to do it. ;D

Hang in there, there be better days coming.

Hugs, Pooh

Linda196

• Administrator
« Reply #28 on: April 16, 2008, 09:39:41 AM »
The "varmint" problems seem universal, just slightly different species in various places. Locally it's squirrels, and last year Hubby declared war on them...we live trap and turn them loose way down the road, but it's possible to trap and release 3 or 4 a day all summer. The ranger says if you don't take them at least 5 KM away, they come right back, so it meant a lot of lovely country drives LOL. I don't garden any more, so I have no problems that way, and I do sort of enjoy watching them, they are so busy! But if they get into your attic or basement, they can do considerable damage, so we evict them promptly.

The biggest problem on our highways is moose! Much like your elk, Rania, they tower over a car, so if they are hit, they topple over and land on the roof of the car, crushing it...not good for the passengers. Hubby's niece and her boyfriend were killed about 15 years ago in a moose collision, and there is constant work along side our roads to fence them out, with one way gates to allow them back into the forest if they happen to get onto the road somehow.

I love in a rural area, and have to drive a little over 30 KM on the highway whenever I venture to the city. When I was working, I had several close calls with deer, and actually hit one (the insurance company says he ran into me!). Just a medium size deer, and a big old car, and it did a lot of $$$ damage! Luckily for me, I was alone, and wasn't hurt, but the poor deer wasn't very lucky at all. I've also come close to hitting foxes, bears, feral cats, and a multitude of rabbits. I've had all of the above, including the deer and moose, wander through my back yard. Don't get me wrong, I love nature, but I prefer to watch from afar! And I never again want to relive the adventure of having an ermine (white weasel) in my kitchen!

I do hope you are feeling better Rania, the fact that the forum you moderate is "down" is a great chance for you to get some rest (coincidence, or is "someone" looking after you).
Please check out our home page at http://www.sjogrensworld.org/index.html {{INCLUDES A LINK TO AMAZON SHOPPING!!}}
; and live chat at https://kiwiirc.com/client/irc.dal.net/#SjogrensWorld

irish

• Global Moderator
« Reply #29 on: April 16, 2008, 09:33:52 PM »
It sure sounds like spring is coming because the animals are moving. The skunks in this area came out and about close to 1 month ago and so many are dead and flat lol on the road. Also, we have a lot of racoon around here and they love to get into a dogs food in the dish. My son shot a lot years ago as they would hang around in the trees close to their house waiting for the dog to go away so they could eat. Racoons in this area are frequently rapid.

I have a place in the road about 2 miles from our house by a cemetery. It is on the way to town and the cemetery is on a hill with lots of maple trees and evergreen trees. The deer cross here. My oldest son's friend has hit a deer 3 times there in the last 20 years. I always worry about it as people are killed so easily.

Linda, I had an experience I will never forget on the way to work in the dark many years ago. I was on a narrow country road that wasn't traveled that much. There is a stream there and several bridges on the road. Kind of an old short cut road and area. It was a little foggy and I was going about 40 mph or so and all of a sudden 2 very small deer twins crossed the road in front of me.

I hit the brakes and one deer went across the road and the other one stayed on the right side of my car. I kid you not I had slowed to about 20 and I held that steering wheel and almost closed my eyes cause I thought for sure I would hit them. I went between them and when I got to work you could see the lines in the dirt on the car where the hair of the deer had scraped on both sides of the car. It was like a dream. That will never happen to me again I know that for sure.

My sister says that she can buy a large bottle of cougar urine( I think that is the kind) from a trapping and hunting outfit. She says it is about 5 $ which is a lot cheaper than the commercial remedies. Cougars are a natural predator of the rabbits and I guess it works well. May have to try that. Irish ;D

P.S. Linda, I had a muskrat in the house for about 3 days one time. Yuck, these wild creatures that can get in the house make me really want to throw away all my carpet etc.