Author Topic: Am sick of WINTER---vent  (Read 18075 times)

eyeamdry

Am sick of WINTER---vent
« on: March 27, 2008, 08:31:51 PM »
Hi All:
I want to say that I am sick, sick, sick of winter.  Here it is, just a few days away from April and guess what?  It's snowing out.  The ground is covered AGAIN.  We have piles of snow that are all dirty and black from earlier snows that have been plowed into piles.  Yuck.  Michigan has been a joke lately.  We can get a bunch of snow in the southern lower peninsula and "up north" gets none.  And vice versa. 

We had a couple of days a few weeks ago where the temp went to about 50 and I almost had major Spring Fever.  It didn't last.  That's all, just wanted to crab about it.  (Better than hollering about the price of gas--can't do much about either.)
I will post when summer, or spring, is in the air.  We may not have a spring and it just might go from winter to summer.  That has happened before too.  Lucy ;D

Pooh

Re: Am sick of WINTER---vent
« Reply #1 on: March 27, 2008, 08:56:02 PM »
Lucy do you mind if I rant along with you.  It started out today with temps in high 50's.  The sun was out and the birds were singing their little hearts out.  I went to the store and came out to find the temps had dropped about 15 degrees and it was raining.   :-\

Then I came home and found my frog that has lived in my garden for years lying dead by the flagpole.  I'm pretty sure it was the victim of our local Tomcat.  "Frankie" frog was my constant companion when I was out pulling weeds.  He sat a ways off and watched any insects my weeding would stir up. ;D  I guess he thought I was a dinner bell and he was ready to eat. 

I shall miss him this summer.  No........I'm not angry at the Tomcat, it's the natural of the beasties.  I just wish he had picked on the field mice in the barn or our garage. 

Here's hoping the sun shines steady soon.  Not hot, just pleasantly warm.

Hugs, Pooh

irish

• Global Moderator
« Reply #2 on: March 27, 2008, 09:37:43 PM »
Pooh, This is a really stupid question but where in the heck do the frogs live in the winter? I never thought about this before.

I have to say that we have had a long winter also, but we have had very little snow. We live in MN and have lots of storms forecast but they seem to split and go south and north of us. One friend in Waterloo has had 60 inches of snow this winter.

Pooh, Our snow finally melted and tonight the sun came out for a while and I looked at bare fields and I could almost feel spring---but not quite.

Lucy, I got an email from a Michigan friend who live close to your area and she mentioned all the snow they have had this winter. They are farmers so they are thankful as they had drought and a really bad crop last summer. Take care all. Spring is a coming--just a matter of when. I remember years ago when the boys were younger and my hubby took them fishing on Memorial Day and had to come home because it snowed. Yuck! Irish ;D

Sandra

« Reply #3 on: March 28, 2008, 07:38:24 AM »
Me too. I'm close by in Ontario. Enough already with the snow and cold. At least once in a while the sun has come out but the snow sits here...all over my gardens. Pooh so sorry about your garden buddy, I hope a new one comes along. I had one last year in my big planter pot that sits by my pool. He was in the pot all snuggled down he would peek out when I watered the plants. The pot is about 18 inches off the ground so how he got there is more than I know. He must have been a tiny baby in the soil of the flowers when I planted them.
I miss the spring and the gardens so much it hurts, literally! And it's supposed to snow again today! :(  My birthday is the 4th and it sure would be a nice gift to see the spring.....hear that Lord? ;D Sandra

Shari

« Reply #4 on: March 28, 2008, 08:13:26 AM »
Happy Birthday in advance Sandra!!  And I hope for all of us that you do get Spring for your Birthday!!

Pooh~~I'm sorry about your frog friend.  I know how I enjoy stepping out of the door and usually go right to the inground small fountain where the frogs love to hang out.  They are so cute!

I do not have any bare bits of ground here.  It is spitting snow.  Yesterday was sunny and 50 degrees.  I wish I was lounging in the hammock in the warmth of summer.

Hope all of you are having a good day~~~Shari

wordnerd

« Reply #5 on: March 28, 2008, 10:33:56 AM »
Pooh - Sorry to hear about your frog  :'(

Sending so Southern California warmth and sunshine to all of you... well today its only in the mid 60s, but a few days ago it was in the mid 80s!

Take care!

-Lauren

Pooh

« Reply #6 on: March 28, 2008, 10:42:25 AM »
Happy Birthday Sandra.  

Lucy, how are you doing today?  I was telling my son last night about your rant on the snow, snow, snow and he ask where you lived.  I said "You should be real familiar with where Lucy lives".  He said "OMG Michigan".  I had to laugh at him because he knew immediately.  He was stationed at the air base in Marquette for about 8 yrs.  When he moved in there he had to get a snowplow to clear 4 ft. of snow off the area his trailer was to be set.  This was the 21st of April.  He said there are 4 seasons in Michigan - Winter, Winter, Spring/Summer (all of maybe 3 or 4 wks. tops) and Winter.

He has nothing but great respect for all the people of Michigan.  He calls Marquette, "The Polar Capitol of the USA".  

Take care gal, Spring is coming, HONEST!

Scottie, I don't know where he was during the winter, unless he was in his Toad House (please note, hubby says "frankie" was toad not a frog.) I had a large clay pot that cracked and I chipped it down to a half lengthwise and laid it in the garden with mulch covering all but the opening where the top of the pot was.  Much like little cave.  Whenever I tipped it up, there he was all snug, so I guess that's where he spent his winters.  

Our weather man is promising us 70 degrees for the weekend.  I sure hope he's right, so much to be done outside, what with the horrendous winds of the past few weeks.  Time to gather the neighbors things that are caught in the bushes and return them.  :D

Thanks Shari and Word, I will miss him but I'm sure something else will take his place before summer.  Just hope it isn't a snake.  Ewww

Happy Spring everyone,

Hugs, Pooh

« Last Edit: March 28, 2008, 10:50:15 AM by Pooh »

quiger

• Sjogrens Staff
« Reply #7 on: March 28, 2008, 03:39:40 PM »
((((Lucy))))  I know how bad it has been up there this winter. Hopefully it won't last much longer and spring will be just around the corner.  :)

Still don't miss it,
quig
Check out the info on the home page  http://www.sjogrensworld.org/index.html

YICKelly

« Reply #8 on: March 28, 2008, 04:57:12 PM »
Sorry about your friend toad(or Frog), Pooh.  Winter has been long and hard in Ohio this year too.  But, since I grew up in Rochester, NY - it wasn't that bad to me! LOL 
Happy Birthday Sandra!

eyeamdry

« Reply #9 on: March 28, 2008, 11:06:48 PM »
Our snow totals for the winter are from 96 inches to 134 inches within about a 40 mile radius of our home.   This winter has set records in some of the cities.  We are used to this in Mich, but this winter stands out in recent times.  Next week has weather forecasts of about 40 high, some rain, lows at night in the 20's.  I'm not putting away the flannel gowns yet. 

One Memorial Day, years ago when our kids were little, my sister and I plus our families got together at a park for a picnic.  Well, we ended up with everyone in winter coats and we built a bonfire to keep warm.  We had roasted marshmallows and hot dogs among other things.  My sister just bought a house in Fla where they will live 6 months and back here 6 months starting this coming winter.  Lucy

eyeamdry

WINTER SPELL BROKEN!
« Reply #10 on: April 05, 2008, 05:33:40 PM »
Today was a wonderfully beautiful day in Michigan.  At least my part.  You can have about 12 different kinds of weather going on at once in the whole state.  This has been a long, hard winter for us, and many in the north, east and midwest.
It wouldn't be unusual to see snow again before it's over.

But, today was SUNNY and 64 degrees.  Tomorrow will be the same.  It will rain most of next week and be about high of 50.  Two days of sun gives us a little wind in our sails.  I hope some others are enjoying good weather.  Lucy

irish

• Global Moderator
« Reply #11 on: April 05, 2008, 10:17:09 PM »
Lucy, Today was 66 here and sunny and very nice---except for the wind which was blowing like crazy. We get such terrible wind that blows in from the Dakotas. It was blowing in rain up North and snowstorm warning was out for around Duluth.

We are soooo dry here and need a good series of nice gentle spring rains. I am amazed at the amount of snow you have had in Michigan. It never snowed that much when we lived there. It has always snowed a lot in MN and the past 10 years we have had some pretty wimpy winters here. This winter was colder than it has been in a long time and this was still wimpy. I remember 1974 when we had 35 below just about every night in February. After a while you get so used to it that it doesn't bother you that much. But when the wind blows and the wind chills hit 80-90 below --- that is when it is really cold. Hope all is well with you. Irish ;D

eyeamdry

Spring is in the air
« Reply #12 on: April 06, 2008, 09:10:18 PM »
We had another wonderful day on Sunday!  It will be chilly in the morning and likely rain most of the week.  Things are actually starting to "green up" just a little and I saw some pods (of something) popping up around the garage.  I think I can stand a few weeks of rain off and on now that I've experienced a flash of spring.  Even cleaned out both cars (on the inside only) and hubby and I went for a walk in a nearby park.  Lucy

Shari

« Reply #13 on: April 10, 2008, 08:22:15 PM »
My yard is solid full of snow and the 4 mile road is solid full of mud...calling for showers and possible snow flurries this weekend.  All of this together equals= GOING CRAZY !

eyeamdry

« Reply #14 on: April 11, 2008, 04:48:45 PM »
Today (Friday) was a good, mild day among the week of much rain.  It rained only briefly today and we caught a few rays of the sun.  No winter coat needed.  We are due for more rain and rather chilly temps, but a few days with a whiff of spring does give me a big lift.   The ground is still frozen, there are piles of black snow in parking lots and when it keeps raining, things go into flood stage for some people near the river.  (Not me.)  There was a tornado 3 nights ago that touched down about 5 miles from us, that blew barns and trees down  Hurry up, spring.