Author Topic: Spider Bite and Staph  (Read 627 times)

Judie P

Spider Bite and Staph
« on: March 07, 2019, 02:42:53 PM »
I am not looking for a response (unless you need to)  but just to let everyone on the forum know about my latest "SJS drama".  I started feeling lumps and pain in the area of my xiphoid process (breastbone area).  It progressed to red areas.  Then the underskin  lumps got worse and the pain was happening even if I tried to bend over.  Soon the redness was in the entire area and I tried to use cortisone cream to stop the itching.  Needless to say, it developed white caps in four places and then it opened up.  I knew at that point the tea tree oil was not going to stop this.

On top of the whole experience, I was feeling more tired than SJS fatigue.  I could not think and was making some really stupid decisions (bought hair conditioner when I needed shampoo, etc.)  It was time to go to ER.  I saw an ER doctor who told me it was staph.  She put me on three antiobiotics and told me to put warm compresses on it several times a day to draw out the infection.  I had an appointment two days later, early in the morning, with a nurse practitioner.  First, the  antiobiotics just made me feel worse and I was so tired yet hyper during the day.  Now I was nauseous. 

The nurse practitioner was wonderful.  She looked at all of the notes from ER, and then looked at the area.  "You got bit by a spider", she said.  "Your compromised immune system could not handle it, so it turned into staph."  I have noticed that when I get misquito bites, they swell up and sometimes open.  They look like giant pimples.

I am on day four of the antibiotics, still feeling lousy from them, but I will continue with them for 10 days because I am seeing results in the area.  I still feel extremely tired and have decided that I no longer wish to be nice to Charlotte and her spider friends.  LOL
Primary SJS, SS-A >8, fibromyalgia, neuropathy, asthma, Effexor, Vitamin D 1,000mg, magnesium, Motrin, Ayr Nasal Gel, Ayr nasal mist, Optique 1 eye drops

irish

• Global Moderator
Re: Spider Bite and Staph
« Reply #1 on: March 07, 2019, 09:44:47 PM »
I am sorry to hear you had this lousy experience. I have had staph also and it can be a bugger.  Hopefully these 3 antibiotics will do the trick. Get out the probiotics and eat yogurt.....keep you out of the bathroom. :D

It seems that having these autoimmune diseases can really cause us to have some weird stuff. Doctors don't always know what to do with us. Im glad you posted as it is a good warning to all of us to watch out for these spider bites. I remember my toddlers getting bitten by spiders during the night around their ankles and having such red swallow areas. Good luck and keep us updated on how you are doing. Irish

Deb 27

Re: Spider Bite and Staph
« Reply #2 on: March 09, 2019, 02:50:54 PM »
Hi Judie, Sorry you got this nasty infection ? spider bite. Of course, spiders, like other creepy crawlies can carry bad bacteria.  I've heard it's quite common for a spider bite and staph to be confused.

I've had a few incidents as well with staph. I worked in a health care environment and feel like I picked it up from there. Once, I got this huge carbuncle under my chin. It was really disgusting. I got some hibiclens and washed myself down with it to make sure if I had any staph, I was not carrying it. Yes, tea tree can only go so far but it's really good stuff. I hope you get better quickly!!!!! Antibiotics are such a mixed bag.......... A lot of them I can't take.
Sjogrens and RA,  Morphea (skin scleroderma), Hashimoto's, 
Nexium, synthroid, HRT, plaquenil,  Restasis, Maxi-tears supplement, L-glutathionne, CoQ10, folate, trintillex,  multi vitamin. lisinopril.