Author Topic: My skin is getting thicker or tougher.  (Read 206 times)

sixty

My skin is getting thicker or tougher.
« on: September 03, 2020, 06:19:48 PM »
Hi:  I've been having adult acne for the past year or more and it's horrible.  I'm 65 years old.  I'm wondering if my skin has thickened up to the point of not letting natural oils escape, thus causing acne.  I know that can happen when you get sun tanned.  How do I deal with this?  I also am noticing I have a ton more ingrown hairs on my legs, which must be caused by thicker skin?  Of course I'm not sure of why this is happening, but I'm assuming it has something to do with sjogrens.  Anybody have any thing similar?  I hate this stupid disease!  :(

meirish

Re: My skin is getting thicker or tougher.
« Reply #1 on: September 10, 2020, 01:27:02 AM »
I don't haver anything like that and am sorry that you have to deal with it. And, yes, it is always something with these darn autoimmune disease. I am wondering if you can get to a dermatologist/ There is always a possibility that a medication could be causing problems with your skin. Sometimes a person can have an overgrowth of their skin because of a skin disease that can be unrelated to the Sjogrens. We always blame new things that come up to Sjogrens and with good cause as it does make for misery.

However, it might save you money and misery to see what a dermatologist says. Many times our family docs can help us out for a fees visits and then we still need to see dermatologist anyway so might as well go there to begin with and save time, money and misery. It could also even be from a chemical or hormone the body is producing. We live longer these days and that means that we develop these strange things that didn't show up years ago when people didn't live as long. I am 77 years old and still kicking but not as hard as I used to. My 5 autoimmune diseases plus the other weird things I have are catching up with me. ::)

Let us know if you get this figured out. All the things we learn that can be passed on can really help others. Thanks and good luck. meirish

sixty

« Reply #2 on: September 10, 2020, 04:27:43 PM »
Thank you for the response Meirish.  I probably will go see a dermatologist.  The reason I thought it might be sjogrens was maybe the lack of moisture affects my skin.  We never know which organ it may attack.  Anyway, thanks!

meirish

« Reply #3 on: September 11, 2020, 12:42:57 AM »
It probably is from Sjogrens but many of us have blamed a lot of things on Sjogrens only to have it turn out to be something else. The main thing is to get you feeling better. Good luck meirish