Author Topic: A cervical fracture at c7  (Read 115 times)

trc1962

A cervical fracture at c7
« on: July 30, 2020, 01:24:41 PM »
I have posted here lately about my neck making popping sounds. I saw the new rheummy who took over for my long time rheummy and he said x-ray when i told him about my neck sounds. After 10 days with no results from dr. office i called. After 3 calls the nurse said she would read it and i have a chronic fracture at c-6, or it happened over a year ago. I have no memory of any accident or trauma over a year ago, although i had minor trauma last fall, but not my neck. I was shocked by this news and the fact that the dr. hadn't seen it. I had tons of questions; is this why neck is popping, does the fracture need fixing and a million others. I asked for her to please ask the doctor what I should do next. I am shaken by this.

jazzlover

Re: A cervical fracture at c7
« Reply #1 on: July 30, 2020, 06:18:37 PM »
Yikes! So sorry to hear!!!

I have stenosis in my neck and it pops sometimes. I had an MRI several years ago but not recently.

You give me pause!!

I would definitely ask your Dr about an MRI.
Mast Cell Activation Syndrome (MCAS), Salicylate Sensitivity,  Interstitial Cystitis,  gluten intolerance, Raynaud's, Sjogren's, A-fib; cytomegalovirus, recovered from Lyme disease

meirish

« Reply #2 on: July 31, 2020, 03:40:38 AM »
I don't know how old you are, but a fracture in an older person (whatever older means-lol) could be causes by a fall or some other sudden jolt that was not direct to the cervical area.

I would make sure to see the doctor and if need be get a referral to an orthopedic doc that specializes in spine. So far you have been living with it, but it might be something that would need to be re-evaluated every so often. Good luck. meirish

Linda196

• Administrator
« Reply #3 on: July 31, 2020, 03:46:37 AM »
It's understandable that this would cause you some concern, but I'm amazed that that anyone other than your doctor would give you this news. To clarify, was the person who told you this a nurse or the office assistant/receptionist? Neither would be qualified to "read" an xray so I'm hoping they just read the radiologists interpretation of the xray itself.

A chronic fracture is any fracture that shows complete non-union after 12 months, and they aren't as uncommon as you might think. There is some benefit to enhancing bone healing in symptomatic non-unions, even after a long period, with low intensity ultrasound pulses, and the healing rate is pretty good, but not always necessary.

In the case of a vertebral fracture, there are so many variations, some of which are considered benign, that a doctor would have to determine if "popping" (non-painful from your description) is enough of a reason to begin a lengthy treatment program.

If the fracture is in the body of the vertebrae I'm sure there would be something done, but if it's in one of the spinous processes or pedicles (the prong like projections from a vertebrae) it may not be necessary. In the facet, it could be dependant on precise location and whether it interrupts the actual surface that connects with the next vertebrae.

Even though you don't remember an accident or trauma, remember that a fracture to the delicate spinous process of a cervical vertebrae can be caused by something as simple as that jolt you get when you underestimate a step, or by sitting down hard on a solid surface, it's a very fragile structure.
Please check out our home page at http://www.sjogrensworld.org/index.html {{INCLUDES A LINK TO AMAZON SHOPPING!!}}
; and live chat at https://kiwiirc.com/client/irc.dal.net/#SjogrensWorld

Joe S.

• Fibro, Sjs, RA, CNS, Diabetes, TIA's, ADHD, ptsd
    • Chakra Force
« Reply #4 on: July 31, 2020, 08:33:51 PM »
Fractured neck vertebrae are no fun. I have had two, and every now and then I have to sing "back in the collar again" to the the tune of "Back in the Saddle, again". It has become old hat and so I try to laugh with the pain. Laughter generates endorphins and endorphins help to block pain. Heal well. Stay safe. Shelter in place.
bkn C4 & C5, herniation's 7 n, 5 t, 4 l, Nerve Damage
Lisinopril, Amlodipine, Pantoprazole, Metformin, Furosemide, Glimepiride,
Centrum Silver, Cinnamon, Magnesium, Flaxseed, Inositol, D3, ALA, ALC, Aleve, cistanche
Reiki, reflexology, meditation, electro-herbalism

meirish

« Reply #5 on: August 01, 2020, 03:07:33 AM »
I am going to mention something else that has occurred with my thoracic spine. Now this has gone on for years and with all the scans of every kind that I have had nothing has ever shown up.

I Have done a lot of lifting, nursing in geriatrics with tons of lifting over many years, lifting hay bales for a couple years during summer baling, etc and just other lifting from being on a hobby farm. I would have a snapping sound in my upper back probably 3-4 inches below my neck. This is not painful and occurs occasionally with no noticeable activity causing this.

Because I have Sjogrens and have a lot of trouble with my tendons it occurred to me that this might just be something being moved because of tendons that have stretched on occasion. This is something my strange mind has considered because so many things that happen to us never seem to have a reason that shows up on tests. These situations are why we get so many "I don't have any idea what is causing it." from our doctors.

Just a thought. Disregard if it doesn't hold water for you. Thanks for reading. Good luck. meirish

trc1962

« Reply #6 on: August 03, 2020, 10:47:36 AM »
I finally got a copy of the x-ray report. The person who gave me results over the phone just looked at the report and gave me a little information. There is a small amount of bone loss, but nothing more than they saw on my 2016 mri. The chronic fracture occured at c-6 and was the long spinous process bone, not the entire vertebrae. I have fairly severe facet arthrosis and of course that is concerning. The alignment is correct and there is no instability. The doctor referred me to a spine clinic here in Spokane and because of family history (mom) I will probably get a second opinion at U of Washington.

My mom has what they thought was degenerative disc disease, but now her doctors call it seropositive rheumatoid arthritis. She had had her entire back fused twice and it isn't fun. I and 57 and very active and I have 7 years before I can retire as a fitness teacher so I need to be able to work. I feel some of my mom's damage could have been prevented it her doctor's had been more proactive. She was on plaquenil but nothing else until recently when her knees swelled and her hip needed replacing she demanded something more and is on methotrexate. I want to be proactive and do all I can because I have her genes. Any ideas any of you have would be appreciated! Thanks.

trc1962

« Reply #7 on: August 03, 2020, 10:48:54 AM »
Woops! My mom has seronegative RA diagnosed due to ongoing damage.

meirish

« Reply #8 on: August 03, 2020, 11:14:17 AM »
I don't know what the outcome will be with this, but am wondering if wearing some type of device (maybe soft versus hard) would help keep that area or joint from being over used to the point that the cracking is initiated. Might help you be able to do your job for a longer time. Just a thought. Good luck. meirish