Author Topic: Hydroxychloroquine dangerous for people with sickle cell trait  (Read 179 times)

ghostkiwi

Hey everyone,

I haven?t seen any posts about this and I thought I?d make a post about it. My mom was telling me that  Hydroxychloroquine can make people with sickle cell trait go into sickle cell crisis. My mom and I were talking about it and she went on about how I should never take hydroxychloroquine because my dad had sickle cell trait and it could make me really sick. But it was too late as I?d already tried it several years ago and got really sick with just one baby dose and changed to different medication. And at the time my doctor had not mentioned anything about sickle cell trait and had tried to convince me to keep taking it even though it clearly made me sick and I even tried for 2 weeks and became a vomiting zombie. I even brought up sickle cell trait as a reason it was making me sick and she said she had never heard of anything like that. In fact all the rheumatologists I?ve met with have tried to get me to take it and none of them have mentioned sickle cell trait or knew how it interacts. The information seems to exist though. My mom learned it from watching M*A*S*H decades ago(not the most scholarly reference). I looked it up and found this
http://blackyouthproject.com/testing-hydroxychloroquine-on-black-covid-19-patients-is-more-medical-racism/
Which corroborates what my mom was saying. Has anyone else heard anything about this?

25 years old, Sjogren's, Syncope, chronic parotitis, Anemia, Pinched nerves in Neck, arthritis, Plaquenil, Methotrexate, Evoxac, Triamterene-HCTZ (for potential Meniere's Disease), Vitamin B 5, Iron Supplements, Restasis, Lotemax, artificial tears, traumeel, arnica

Linda196

• Administrator
Re: Hydroxychloroquine dangerous for people with sickle cell trait
« Reply #1 on: July 20, 2020, 03:21:08 AM »
This is a known effect, since the mid 50's due in part to actual events depicted in a somewhat dramatic fashion on M*A*S*H.

Chloroquine is still used almost exclusively to treat or prevent Malaria, either as Plaquenil or Primaquin, and in numerous rheumatological diseases as Plaquinil; however, it has hemolytic effects, especially in people with glucose-6-phosphate dehydrogenase deficiency (G6PD). The deficiency is found most prominently in those of African or Mediterrean descent.

Unfortunately, the medical approach seems to be try the medication regardless, and if symptoms develop, stop treatment. This is probably based on the fact that genetic testing prior to treatment, in order to discover the deficiency if it exists, is very expensive, and can't really be limited to specific patients for several reasons, one being the "medical racism" statement int he article you posted, and another being the possibility of the trait existing in just about anyone due to lost, unknown, or hidden genealogy records. I think the theory is, if symptoms develop, look to genetics as a possible cause, otherwise, be grateful that it's working.

Of course anyone with Sickle Cell Anemia, or with a first degree relative with it, should probably be considered at higher risk for the deficiency and more caution taken.
Please check out our home page at http://www.sjogrensworld.org/index.html {{INCLUDES A LINK TO AMAZON SHOPPING!!}}
; and live chat at https://kiwiirc.com/client/irc.dal.net/#SjogrensWorld

ghostkiwi

« Reply #2 on: July 21, 2020, 01:08:04 PM »
Thank you for confirming! I think it?s useful information to know. My doctors have acted like it?s news to them and I think that?s dangerous.
25 years old, Sjogren's, Syncope, chronic parotitis, Anemia, Pinched nerves in Neck, arthritis, Plaquenil, Methotrexate, Evoxac, Triamterene-HCTZ (for potential Meniere's Disease), Vitamin B 5, Iron Supplements, Restasis, Lotemax, artificial tears, traumeel, arnica

jazzlover

« Reply #3 on: July 23, 2020, 06:57:34 PM »
Good to know and I'm glad you found that out!

It is pretty safe for most people. It's also used to treat babesia, which is similar to malaria and is spread by ticks.
Mast Cell Activation Syndrome (MCAS), Salicylate Sensitivity,  Interstitial Cystitis,  gluten intolerance, Raynaud's, Sjogren's, A-fib; cytomegalovirus, recovered from Lyme disease