Author Topic: Killer headache centered around my eyeballs and outer cheek?  (Read 290 times)

Peanutbrain

I was diagnosed with Sjogren's Syndrome many years ago due to dry eyes but chose not to take medication for it after having an allergic reaction to plaquenil (trunk rash) as I didn't want to go on that az... med.  I had MS-like symptoms in 2002, with cranial nerve palsies and all sorts of other MS symptoms, culminating in status epilepticus 1.5 mo later, that docs were never able to diagnose. A more recent neuro who specialized in neuroimmune diseases said that Sjogren's can cause neuro problems and it was likely the cause of my 2002 issues since they never were able to confirm it was MS. That's the quick background.

I was put on an antibiotic earlier this week and 24 hours later, came down with a fever and splitting headache. I went to the ER to make sure it wasn't a worsening infection but they didn't think so so I came home. The fever went down but I've been having the same ongoing killer headache since Tuesday night. It's unusual in that it's focused around my eyeballs and outside cheekbones. It was initially pretty intense over my entire upper head/face but has since narrowed to this pressure-like pain behind my right eye. Tapping my outer cheeks still hurts, too. And my right eye (both eyes to some extent but it's gone down and is mostly in my right eye) feels like there's sand under my eyelid.  Hurts!  This reminds me of the time I was experiencing MS-like symptoms (much worse that time but similar).  Does this sound similar to anyone else's experience here? 

My bp was a mess and was probably contributing to my headaches and dizziness-it was elevated supine and would go down upon standing (hence the dizziness and increased headache when moving about). I ended up with a mysterious fever (higher) the last time I was put on this antibiotic so now I'm thinking maybe it's an allergic reaction of some sort (to macrobid?) but, at the same time, I did notice that my gums have been inflammed and my teeth have been hurting this week, all common when I feel like my body is being attacked.  Just haven't had this kind of headache or eye pain since 2002...  Thank you for thoughts!

sixty

Re: Killer headache centered around my eyeballs and outer cheek?
« Reply #1 on: July 10, 2020, 05:49:04 PM »
Could it be a sinus infection?  When I had them they were incredibly painful and I couldn't even touch my face without extreme pain.
Antibiotics got rid of it.

meirish

« Reply #2 on: July 11, 2020, 12:10:07 AM »
This sure sounds like sinus issues and the humidity lately really can kick up sinuses. However, I am wondering if the Macrobid could be adding to these issues. Now I am not a doctor but I have taken a ton of macro bid years ago for urinary tract issues and I know that this drug does have some weird side effects in some people. I would suggest seeing the doctor who put you on it.

Just wondering if you had a cat scan or x-rays of your sinuses to give doc an idea what was going on. I know Sjogrens can give some killer headaches but when they last a long time and seem to affect the eyes so much maybe getting assessment is necessary. Eyes can do strange things for strange reasons and since they are precious it is wise to address issues.

Your doctor may have another medication that would work better. Sometimes this medication can cause unusual issues and one common issue is that pneumonia seems to be related to drug therapy with this med. It does work well so hopefully there is no untoward reaction going on. It is so frustrating to have all the health issues we have and then accumulate reactions to many drugs. Also it is a challenge for patient and doctor to sort reactions to drugs out to rule out allergies.

So, hope that I didn't confuse you too much. So many of us have to deal with things like this and it is frustrating. Hope you can figure it out. Good luck. meirish

Peanutbrain

« Reply #3 on: July 11, 2020, 06:47:24 AM »
Thank you for your thoughts. Interesting you mention sinus infection because I did have a stuffy nose at the beginning of all this and my husband had been joking about how could we get sick when we've isolated from the world for months :o I don't know if I've ever had a sinus infection (he has) but when my whole face hurt, it ran through my mind but now it's the outside of my face (eye socket and outer cheekbone) and not centered around my nose. I recently bought a cold pack and that helped this morning! (also because I'm experiencing light sensitivity so blocking out light helped)

meirish

« Reply #4 on: July 11, 2020, 04:48:38 PM »
It is very common to have pain in the face and in the sinuses above the eyebrows. Sinuses can just pound like the dickens. Keep track of symptoms. Sometimes one can just have the stuffiness and swelling in the tissues with sinus infection and not blow out much fro the nostrils. If  treating with another med, such as an antibiotic (macro bid isn't an antibiotic which kills bacteria but it is an antibacterial which prevents the growth of bacteria.

If this is hard to get rid of you might want to ask the doc to culture your upper nostrils to make sure the right antibiotic is being used to kill the organism growing. This is assuming it is sinus infection. Good luck. meirish

araminta

« Reply #5 on: July 12, 2020, 03:01:33 AM »
Trigeminal neuralgia can cause horrible facial pain.   I have had that when I've been sitting in a draught, or sometimes for no apparent reason at all.

I hope you soon find a solution to this.
Dry eyes (MGD), nose, mouth, labyrinthitis, rashes, dry skin (occasional eczeme), mouth ulcers, constant but fluctuating fatigue.  Blood tests and Schirmers negative,no Sjogrens dx yet.   Flax oil, multivitamins,  saline nasal spray, Hylo forte, Lacrilube, organic castor oil for eyes, moisturisers.

meirish

« Reply #6 on: July 13, 2020, 05:41:54 PM »
The trigeminal neuralgia is also a possibility. Generally a neurologist deals with the aches, pains, and other pains and loss of function resulting from nerve damage.

This is something that is caused by the autoimmune issues much of the time and medication can be a ig deal in calming this type of pain and inflammation down. Good luck Irish

Peanutbrain

« Reply #7 on: July 17, 2020, 11:01:16 AM »
Thank you! I was taking the medicine for a UTI (not sinus infection) and it's the second time I've had a fever after starting the medication and I rarely have fevers. This time, the fever was not as high but I had the killer headache overlap it. Luckily, the headache went away...around the time I stopped the medication. I thought about trigeminal neuralgia because of the pain behind my eyeball. I hadn't thought about any of this when I saw my doc for follow-up, we only talked about the fever of unknown origin.  Next time I will though! Thanks!