Author Topic: chewing chewing gum  (Read 198 times)

bluegardenia

chewing chewing gum
« on: July 01, 2020, 04:21:31 PM »
ciao everybody, after some not bad months a part the COVID that struck Italy as first country in Europe, I think that my dry mouth is worsening. I cannot take salagen or evoxac due to heart arrhythmia', so I managed with wATER, BIOTENE PRODUCTS and thats all.
 two days ago for the first time  since diagnosis, I tried to chew xilimelts and it was great, lots of saliva  but yesterday while I was eating, with no pain  my left Cheek started to swallow, I was like a  frog. I called immediately my friend dentist and by the time I arrived to his office and had to wait 20 minutes, my cheek was better. so I went back home and in the evening while I was eating, that happened again, no pain, just discomfort , I was feeling like my neck was becoming enormous. I booked an ultrasound for to day and when they made it they could not see any stones or any enlarged channels that could justify that. I told them that ha I had had chewing gum and they told me that its possible that I moved some thick saliva that could not find his good way.
 so my question is, if chewing can provoke this, is it good to chew?? any experience? thanks
60,primary sjs, diverticulosis,ibs,atrioventricular blocks 2 degree first type, acid reflux.
omeoprazole, vit c, flack seed, omega 3, b complex, nac,systane ultra, pineapple seeds

Carolina

• —if it ain't one thing, it's another." Roseanne R.
Re: chewing chewing gum
« Reply #1 on: July 02, 2020, 05:55:21 AM »
Chewing sugar free gum is good for you, generally.

https://blog.ochsner.org/articles/5-reasons-chewing-gum-is-good-for-you

The main reason I don't chew gum is that many people consider it 'bad manners' to chew gum in public.

I also 'snap and pop' my gum unconsciously, which makes me even more uncivilized and annoying.

But I KNOW chewing gum provides more saliva, which for us is a blessing.  More saliva protects your teeth, as well.

But now that I am mostly in my apartment, I guess I should look for the packages of sugar free gum that we have in a drawer in the kitchen.

Regards, Elaine
Female-Elaine,78-CVID-pSJS-IC-PN-CAD-Osteoarthritis-COPD-SFN-Knee/Shoulder Degeneration-SIBO-Intertrigo-Act.Purpura-Raynaud's-Meniere's-Hiatal Hernia-Achalasia-IVIG Gamunex-Medrol-Gabapentin-Atenolol-Pilocarpine-LDN-Nasonex-Lipitor-Estrogel-D-Mannose-NAC-Co-Q10-D3-Omega 3-Naltrexone-Omeprazole-

jazzlover

« Reply #2 on: July 02, 2020, 07:07:01 AM »
Maybe you are reacting to the ingredients in the gum? I know I can't have mint or cinnamon. Nearly all gum makes me react. If it's not natural ingredients, it's the  artificial ones.
Mast Cell Activation Syndrome (MCAS), Salicylate Sensitivity,  Interstitial Cystitis,  gluten intolerance, Raynaud's, Sjogren's, A-fib; cytomegalovirus, recovered from Lyme disease

bluegardenia

« Reply #3 on: July 02, 2020, 08:00:51 AM »
hi jazz, chewing made a little stone move, I had not an allergic reaction. I was chewing xylitol
60,primary sjs, diverticulosis,ibs,atrioventricular blocks 2 degree first type, acid reflux.
omeoprazole, vit c, flack seed, omega 3, b complex, nac,systane ultra, pineapple seeds

meirish

« Reply #4 on: July 02, 2020, 12:42:23 PM »
My first impression is that when one chews gum the salivary glands are stimulated to produce saliva. We stogies make saliva (everyone is different as to amount) and if it is really thick it could be sort of plugging up the salivary ducts. This would cause the saliva to back up and could cause the swelling. Also, as you said the gum can stimulate saliva also.

Maybe the people on here can think of other foods that would help thin your saliva. I am really sorry you can't take those 2 meds. I would assume you are drinking plenty of fluids. It may be that you will have to limit your gum chewing if it is adding to the problems you have when you eat. Are yoyo chewing the sugar free gum? Tjhat might make a difference. Good luck. meirish

araminta

« Reply #5 on: July 03, 2020, 02:39:59 AM »
Hi Blue, I always have some sugar free chewing gum in my mouth, but I don't chew it all the time, I just keep a small piece in the side of my mouth.   It really helps with the dry mouth, and I've never so far had a bad reaction to it.

I notice you say it wasn't when you were chewing the gum that your cheek swelled up, but when you were eating a meal.   Maybe there was some problem with what you were eating?

If there was a stone that needed to move, isn't that a good thing?   It would have to come out some time.
Dry eyes (MGD), nose, mouth, labyrinthitis, rashes, dry skin (occasional eczeme), mouth ulcers, constant but fluctuating fatigue.  Blood tests and Schirmers negative,no Sjogrens dx yet.   Flax oil, multivitamins,  saline nasal spray, Hylo forte, Lacrilube, organic castor oil for eyes, moisturisers.

Jenny

« Reply #6 on: July 03, 2020, 04:09:39 AM »
I am addicted to chewing gum! If I?m not drinking or eating, I have a piece in my mouth. I buy the huge packs at Sam?s Club. FYI...the one I?ve found to have the flavor last the longest is Extra in the flavor Polar Ice. I tear a piece in half so they last longer. It?s funny, my grandchildren know if they get a piece from me, they tear it in half also.
65 year old female with back, shoulder, neck and knee pain, dry mouth, losing teeth, dry sinuses,Blood test positive for Sjogrens. Fibromyalgia, Osteoarthritis .
Maloxicam, Lisinopril, Norco, misc.vitamins
4 discs in low back fused. Shoulder replaced 2015 & 2017 Need knee replaced.
4 hand surgeries