Author Topic: Anxiety  (Read 157 times)

Cindy

Anxiety
« on: June 24, 2020, 09:53:25 PM »
I hope everyone is having a good day. I’m sure this is part of being sick, but now that I’m home all day I’m the type of person who overthinks and fears the future. My anxiety lately has been getting worst, Im constantly worrying about my kids getting sick and my sjogrens getting worst. I know worrying doesn’t change the future but I can’t help it.  Do you stop ever stop your plans in fear of the future? Like buying a house because you have fear you will get sicker and will not be able to afford it, fear of not being able to work in the future, or not being able to afford the medicine you might need in the future?

Carolina

• —if it ain't one thing, it's another." Roseanne R.
Re: Anxiety
« Reply #1 on: June 25, 2020, 05:28:44 AM »
Dear Cindy,

Worry and anxiety are partly nature's way of protecting us from harm.  If we didn't care about what might happen, we wouldn't watch out for danger.

So some worry and anxiety serve a good purpose to keep us on guard to protect us.

That said, too much worry and anxiety can spoil life.  It is hard to find the right balance.

I have been 'blessed' with the opposite personality.  I really don't have much fear, anxiety or worry.  I think it is partly just my 'set point', my basic personality.  I do have a basic underlying depression that is also part of me, so I use many techniques for my depression, that would also apply to fear, worry and anxiety, I think.

I'm sure you have tried all of the 'techniques' for helping with your worry and anxiety:

1. Medication

2. Counseling/therapy

3. Exercise

4. Relaxation/meditation techniques

5. Writing out your fears, worries, anxieties. Categorize them by what you can change and what you cannot change.  Accepting what we cannot change is one key to peace of mind.  The Serenity Prayer is a great meditation tool.

6.  Writing a 'gratitude list' helps focus on the positive, as well.

7. Helping others is healing and takes you out of yourself, as well.

I'm sure I've missed many of the tools for dealing with fear, anxiety, worry and depression.

Recognizing that there is another way to 'view your world, and your future' is the first step to finding greater peace of mind.

Do keep us posted, Cindy.

Love, Elaine

« Last Edit: June 26, 2020, 05:22:41 AM by Carolina »
Female-Elaine,78-CVID-pSJS-IC-PN-CAD-Osteoarthritis-COPD-SFN-Knee/Shoulder Degeneration-SIBO-Intertrigo-Act.Purpura-Raynaud's-Meniere's-Hiatal Hernia-Achalasia-IVIG Gamunex-Medrol-Gabapentin-Atenolol-Pilocarpine-LDN-Nasonex-Lipitor-Estrogel-D-Mannose-NAC-Co-Q10-D3-Omega 3-Naltrexone-Omeprazole-

meirish

« Reply #2 on: June 25, 2020, 03:25:33 PM »
Be aware that when one gets a chronic disease we are really facing the unknown. Of course, the worse examples of a disease is always the one that gets plastered all over the news.

The one thing to do first is to understand that this anxiety is not unusual but one can't let it take over our lives. Basically keeping busing and trying to find things to be interested in will help life be better. Be aware that being "sick" dorenn't stop us from doing things. The deal is we may have to invent new interests that we are more able to enjoy.

The best thing you can do for yourself is to go for counseling to get ideas on how to recognize your anxiety triggers and new ways to cope with the anxiety. I would guess that a very large proportion of us have had to go for counseling or deal with depression plus the anxiety with subsequent antidepressant meds.

The really hard thing we have to adjust to is accepting out health status. WE may have to change our social activities and www find out who our real friends. Many people don't want to hang around people with chronic disease because it makes them aware that life could hand them the same issues. The deal is that learning to cope, adjust, find new things to entertain us, change our life style, etc will make a person stronger. WE all have times of panic and "What am I going to do" but letting go of this and moving on will make ones life so much better. People who spend all their time upset about the future will really cause enough stress on their body to increase health issues.

The one thing about Sjogrens is that it is a fickle disease and can have symptoms that will linger and make your life miserable and then when you least expect it the problem can disappear and we can have some days, weeks, months, etc when we feel a little better. Just roll with the things that plaque you and keep on plugging along. Sjoggies are tough people. WE are made..not born. Meirish

Cindy

« Reply #3 on: June 29, 2020, 12:00:15 PM »
Thank you for your kind words. It’s hard not to worry when your kids are so young.

meirish

« Reply #4 on: June 30, 2020, 12:34:04 PM »
I think we were all born with a "worry" gene and we all have different triggers that see us off worrying. Just having kids of all ages gives us permission to worry. Worry is hard on our health though so anything we can do to calm the worry gene down is worth pursuing. I am 77 years old and still worry about my middle aged kids (youngest will be 48 and oldest 54) and then the grandkids...especially in this day and age. Take care all. MEirish