Author Topic: metatarsalgia and subluxtion  (Read 168 times)

trc1962

metatarsalgia and subluxtion
« on: June 23, 2020, 02:51:52 PM »
My index toe at the base on my right foot has been sore and swollen for 2 months. Prednisone helped it, but not a long term answer. I had an x-ray today just to check for fracture, but I am sure it isn't. PT seemed to think it was "subluxing" or moving. I also had a subluxation of my biceps tendon after a watermelon slipped out of my right hand (crazy I know). Has anyone here dealt with either? Now my neck is making popping sounds (no pain) and who knows what else next!

meirish

Re: metatarsalgia and subluxtion
« Reply #1 on: June 24, 2020, 07:24:58 AM »
I'm no expert on this but people with autoimmune and Sjogrens have so many tendon issues and joint issues that anything is possible. It could be that you tendons have changed shape causing the toe to "slip". Toes are so touchy and so many people have had surgeries on toes that have not turned out the best so it is something to sit and think about.

About 2 1/2 years ago I was trying to put up a curtain rod in my shower using just a very little stool. My foot slipped and hit the floor of the shower end of toes first. The joint on my 2nd toe on left foot did something and hurt a lot. I just ignored it for a week or so and then ignored longer. It hurt off and on, Well, it has continued to hurt and is bent crooked and probably is dislocated or broke. I just chose to ignore it cause I am stubborn and I can live with it. I have had more problems that affect me more that I have to deal with and have surgery.

It is really hard to know when to holler help and know that one has done the right thing. I have not had one doctor notice it so I just hold me breath when I have to take my socks off. Good luck. Meirish

trc1962

« Reply #2 on: June 24, 2020, 11:45:04 AM »
I believe the tendon issue you brought up is valid. Not long after the toe issue developed I had a watermelon slip out of my right hand and I subluxed my biceps tendon...crazy for sure! Maybe check on your toe as I have done a little research and a toe that is deformed or clawed can effect your foot in a bad way over time. Thanks for the answer.

jazzlover

« Reply #3 on: June 24, 2020, 04:56:22 PM »
Have you been evaluated for EDS?
Mast Cell Activation Syndrome (MCAS), Salicylate Sensitivity,  Interstitial Cystitis,  gluten intolerance, Raynaud's, Sjogren's, A-fib; cytomegalovirus, recovered from Lyme disease

trc1962

« Reply #4 on: June 26, 2020, 10:33:29 PM »
No work up for eds, at least not yet. Besides the subluxed toe I picked up a watermelon and it slipped out of my right hand and my arm kept going so my biceps tendon left its groove. Now my neck is popping weird with no pain. I am not accident prone and haven't really had any injuries besides a fractured finger. I am coordinated-I teach coordination/motor skills for younger students. I was a premature baby, had developmental delays in coordination and development and was pigeon toed-I wore special shoes and had therapy and was normal. I have a chiari that is non symptomatic, except ringing ears which could be from anything. Do rheummies deal with eds?

Jenny

« Reply #5 on: June 27, 2020, 04:34:15 AM »
I too am constantly having tendon issues. I thought my hip and knee were going. But alas, it was my IT band which runs from your outer hip to outer knee. Months of PT and it?s somewhat better, but still gives me issues. I constantly get hip bursitis as well. The joys of Sjogren?s!
65 year old female with back, shoulder, neck and knee pain, dry mouth, losing teeth, dry sinuses,Blood test positive for Sjogrens. Fibromyalgia, Osteoarthritis .
Maloxicam, Lisinopril, Norco, misc.vitamins
4 discs in low back fused. Shoulder replaced 2015 & 2017 Need knee replaced.
4 hand surgeries

trc1962

« Reply #6 on: June 27, 2020, 10:13:44 AM »
Jenny my IT bands were really bothered a year ago, especially on the left side. When it got really bad I did a 5 day stint of prednisone which helped, but after that ice and stretching. Now it hurts below my knee on the side of my calf and across my foot. Yuck.

meirish

« Reply #7 on: June 27, 2020, 11:43:38 PM »
Im just wondering.... I have a lot of tendon issues and remembered all the trouble I had with my feet years ago when I was working. Now this is just a thought...I wonder if doing the exercises for the feet would help the tendon in the knee.

I would lie in bed with both feet just hanging over the end of the mattress to just above my heel. I would slowly raise my feet with my toes pointed toward the head of the bed. Very slowly  and not over extending..gently. I did this mor months and my heels pain got better. This was an exercise put in Dr. Donahues column in the paper years ago. It works.

Also, I fell in both bees twice within a couple hours on marble floor at one of my nursing jobs.Wrecked my knees. Pain and more pain that ended up lasting close to 5 years and many doctors trips. I had a torn meniscus and tendons on the inside of my knees were inflamed to badly. I had trouble putting pressure on the car brake when I drove.

Sooo, I decided to check out PT on line and found exercise that works the leg muscle and tendons on inner side of lower leg up into the knee to increase strength. You lay on your back os even sit up with legs extended. One leg at a time you attempt to tighten the muscle above and below the knee. If you can get your knee cap to move up towards your foot and then back up towards where it came from you are tightening the correct mucle and tendon.

I would do this every night when I went to bed and worked up to 100 times each leg. It took months but my knees and tendon area became less painful and more strong. Able to step on car brake with no pain. I think it also helps with my ability to stay on my feet and not fall as much when I lose my balance. Sometimes we just have to "heal" ourselves. The other thing is the doc said not bad enough for surgery and my nurse sister who worked as a surgical; nurse told me to avoid surgery as often our ailments go away with time. Just some thought... from a person who has done this on my own...Not my nursing order or any doctors order other than what I read in the paper.Good luck all. Meirish

jazzlover

« Reply #8 on: June 28, 2020, 09:09:38 PM »
trc .. I'm not sure who would handle a diagnosis of EDS. Probably not a rheumie.
Mast Cell Activation Syndrome (MCAS), Salicylate Sensitivity,  Interstitial Cystitis,  gluten intolerance, Raynaud's, Sjogren's, A-fib; cytomegalovirus, recovered from Lyme disease

trc1962

« Reply #9 on: June 28, 2020, 09:23:33 PM »
I too have bottom of the foot discomfort when I press the accelerator or brake, it was one of my first symptoms. You are so right about healing ourselves. It took a long time to understand what foods made my face red or my hair to fall out, but I kept a journal and it was histamine and I try to keep that low. I need to look at exercises for tendons and ligaments and keep at it. Thank you.