Author Topic: General anesthetic and Sjogren's  (Read 234 times)

sunflower

General anesthetic and Sjogren's
« on: June 24, 2020, 04:08:25 PM »
Hello all,

I learned something recently.  I had a consult with an electrophysiologist a few weeks ago.  He recommends a heart procedure for me that would be done under general anesthetic.  I had provided a page of health notes for him and mentioned my suspected Sjogren's and my sicca symptoms.  I specified that my mouth dries out completely during sleep. 

To that he said I may need to stay overnight in the hospital because of the tube that's placed in my throat.  I'm glad I mentioned it.

Thought this might be of interest.

Sunflower
Sjogren's - eyes dx Feb/06, variety of new symptoms 2015, seroneg, lip bx 6/16 neg; early AMD; chronic lymphocytic leukemia dx 2006; kidney disease stage 3; breast ca - surgeries, radiation 2014
Rx:  coversyl+, amitriptyline; supps: Vitalux, Omega 3, calciuim

meirish

Re: General anesthetic and Sjogren's
« Reply #1 on: June 24, 2020, 06:59:41 PM »
With those of us with autoimmune disease or conditions that may make cause us to have some unpredicted issues it is not at all uncommon to have to stay overnight after a general anesthetic. Generally the doctor has to order this and insurance pays because it is needed treatment. Sometimes I call my insurance company to check and see if there is anything unusual I need to know so that I am not surprised by an unexpected bill. So far, over all these years and many surgeries my insurance has paid.

Just something I wanted to mention cause so many things to think of with surgeries. Good luck and keep up posted. Meirish