Author Topic: Crazy allergies!!!  (Read 103 times)

Deb 27

Crazy allergies!!!
« on: May 20, 2020, 10:36:16 AM »
So, I had a bad allergic reaction last night out of the blue. Around 11 pm, I started itching and then broke out in hives. I took 75 mg of Benadryl but it wasn't helping all that much, so I went to the ER. They gave me more meds and the hives went away pretty quickly!!

Now, I just have to be careful and not eat crab!!! My PCP didn't order allergy tests but I might think about checking in with an allergist. I know I won't be eating crab any more.

It's always something, isn't it? I think I've read that others here have strange immune systems and allergies... 

Be safe everyone!!!!
Sjogrens and RA,  Morphea (skin scleroderma), Hashimoto's, 
Nexium, synthroid, HRT, plaquenil,  Restasis, Maxi-tears supplement, L-glutathionne, CoQ10, folate, trintillex,  multi vitamin. lisinopril.

jazzlover

Re: Crazy allergies!!!
« Reply #1 on: May 21, 2020, 06:42:23 PM »
Have you had bad reactions before?

I have MCAS (mast cell activation syndrome) and have to be very careful.

Seeing an allergist might be a good idea.
Mast Cell Activation Syndrome (MCAS), Salicylate Sensitivity,  Interstitial Cystitis,  gluten intolerance, Raynaud's, Sjogren's, A-fib; cytomegalovirus, recovered from Lyme disease

Deb 27

« Reply #2 on: May 23, 2020, 02:40:49 PM »
Thanks Jazz. I have not had such a severe reaction before. The closest thing I had was a reaction to  CT contrast dye. As soon as I started getting a few hives, they gave me shots, so it didn't get that far. I was right there in the hospital, so there was no lag time!!!

I've had allergies all of my life. I've read about the MAST cell activation and wondered if that was happening. I hope allergists know about this.

Seafood is pretty notorious for allergic reactions, so I am interested to see if my skin test is positive. I hope I don't break out like I did when I ate it. I have diabetes and do not want steroids if I can avoid them!!!

Nexium, synthroid, HRT, plaquenil,  Restasis, Maxi-tears supplement, L-glutathionne, CoQ10, folate, trintillex,  multi vitamin. lisinopril.

jazzlover

« Reply #3 on: May 25, 2020, 06:51:42 PM »
SOME allergists know about MCAS .. probably about 5% of them.

Keep arming yourself with knowledge.
Mast Cell Activation Syndrome (MCAS), Salicylate Sensitivity,  Interstitial Cystitis,  gluten intolerance, Raynaud's, Sjogren's, A-fib; cytomegalovirus, recovered from Lyme disease

Deb 27

« Reply #4 on: May 25, 2020, 07:42:15 PM »
Thanks Jazz, will do. What do you take for your MAST? I've heard Singulair was good for it and I've taken Singulair for asthma but it made me depressed. Have you ever taken Quercetin??

jazzlover

« Reply #5 on: May 28, 2020, 04:36:37 PM »
I never tried Quercetin because I'm so sensitive to natural things. Nearly all herbs are a problem and most quercetin contains Vit C also, which I can't take.

So I take Zyrtec and Pepcid for my H1 and H2.

I also find great relief with cromolyn sodium.  It helps my gut issues big time.

I have never tried Singulair because my breathing issues are not that bad. I use Symbicort for that. I have heard some bad stories about Singulair.

I hope you find something that works for you!