Author Topic: COVID-19 Symptom: Loss of Taste and Smell  (Read 168 times)

Carolina

• —if it ain't one thing, it's another." Roseanne R.
COVID-19 Symptom: Loss of Taste and Smell
« on: April 02, 2020, 05:49:12 AM »
Dear Sjogren's Angels,

This was in the New York Times this week:

Almost 60% of patients who were subsequently confirmed as positive for COVID-19 had reported losing their sense of smell and taste, data analysed by the researchers showed.

That compared with 18% of those who tested negative.

These results, which were posted online but not peer-reviewed, were much stronger in predicting a positive COVID-19 diagnosis than self-reported fever, researchers at King’s College London said.

https://www.nytimes.com/reuters/2020/04/01/world/europe/01reuters-health-coronavirus-taste.html?searchResultPosition=2

My 27 year old grandson, Matthias, lives in Paris, and worked with people who tested positive for the virus before the ‘lockdown’ started over a week ago, and now he has lost his sense of taste and smell.   Otherwise he feels OK, so far.

So now, in all likelihood, he has the first case in our immediate family.

He is living with his girl friend and his sister in the family apartment in Paris.  My son and daughter-in-law are at their vacation home on the beach in Brittany.  The family wants to be together in Brittany, but the ‘kids’ can’t leave their apartment without permission, much less travel by train to the coast.

This was in the New York times on Tuesday:

As many as 25 percent of people infected with the new coronavirus may not show symptoms, the director of the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention warns — a startlingly high number that complicates efforts to predict the pandemic’s course and strategies to mitigate its spread.

https://www.nytimes.com/2020/03/31/health/coronavirus-asymptomatic-transmission.html

I wonder if one infection with COVID-19 confers future immunity?  I guess the jury is still out on that one, according to a Google search I just conducted.

What would be the best possible scenario for me would be a new vaccine that I could have, and that would actually give me immunity.  Since I get almost no natural immunity from the Pneumovax, I’m not sure the vaccine would really protect me.

I wonder if there were a vaccine, could I have it and then be tested to see if I have immunity?

I have the feeling I’m going to be in isolation for a very long time.

What has protected me from infection for 7 years is the immunity I get with the IVIG from our donors.  So, I guess that  once enough donors have had the virus, recovered, and donated antibodies which can recognize and fight COVID-19, then life can go on as ‘normal’ for me.

My mind is boggling at the awareness of how vulnerable I am, at least I think so.  Not taking any chances until I have some idea.

I would contact my Immunologist, but she is probably overwhelmed right now, as it is.

And this can all wait, since I’m taking life a day at a time, and staying in isolation.

Hugs, Elaine

Female-Elaine,78-CVID-pSJS-IC-PN-CAD-Osteoarthritis-COPD-SFN-Knee/Shoulder Degeneration-SIBO-Intertrigo-Act.Purpura-Raynaud's-Meniere's-Hiatal Hernia-Achalasia-IVIG Gamunex-Medrol-Gabapentin-Atenolol-Pilocarpine-LDN-Nasonex-Lipitor-Estrogel-D-Mannose-NAC-Co-Q10-D3-Omega 3-Naltrexone-Omeprazole-

Kathy57

• Primum non nocere - "First do no Harm"
Re: COVID-19 Symptom: Loss of Taste and Smell
« Reply #1 on: April 03, 2020, 11:40:53 AM »
Elaine,

You pose some excellent questions which I don?t think anyone has the answers to right now.  I hope your grandson recovers quickly and without incident!

I am glad that you are safe and yes, you are particularly at risk.  One day at a time will turn into one week at a time.  It?s good to hear how people are doing.  We will all get through this.

Kathy
62 yr old female - Diagnosed Sjogrens Aug. 1st 2014.  Plaqinil, Evoxac, Prevacid, Lexapro, Hypothyroid, Esophagel Reflux, Gastritis, Barretts Esophagus, failed sinus surgery with 3 nasal septal perforations.  (Can't see it from the outside)  Asthma, albuterol, Dulera, Nebulizer, Osteoporosis.