Author Topic: It's Monday 3/16. How is everyone dealing with virus threat?  (Read 342 times)

rudytudy1

It's Monday 3/16. How is everyone dealing with virus threat?
« on: March 16, 2020, 03:43:04 AM »
Good morning all.   What's the latest with everyone with where you live or your family situation dealing with the virus threat? 
Lupus arthropathy,  fatigue, Sjogren's Syndrome , cutaneous Lupus,  osteoarthritis with lumbar fusion surgery.  

diclofenac dx-2009

Carolina

• —if it ain't one thing, it's another." Roseanne R.
Re: It's Monday 3/16. How is everyone dealing with virus threat?
« Reply #1 on: March 16, 2020, 06:28:30 AM »
I'm in self-isolation, since March 12.  We live in a Senior Community.

I stay in our apartment.  My husband is here and goes down to the dining room to bring me meals. He also picks up RXs and stuff. (If he gets sick, of course, so will I, but what can I do?).

I do go out after 9 pm down to the fitness center to exercise for an hour, wiping everything down as I go, including elevator buttons.

No one is out at that hour, so I am all alone except for the receptionist at the front desk.  I wave from 10 feet away.

I'm even cancelling non-vital doctors appointments.  And no hair cuts and manicures, for the next three months. 

Will three months be long enough?  Who knows. 

Regards, Elaine

Female-Elaine,76-CVID-pSJS-IC-PN-CAD-Osteoarthritis-COPD-SFN-Knee/Shoulder Degeneration-SIBO-Intertrigo-Act.Purpura-Anemia-Copper Def-Raynaud's-Meniere's-Hiatal Hernia-Achalasia-IVIG Gamunex-Medrol-Gabapentin-Atenolol-Pilocarpine-LDN-Nasonex-Lipitor-Estrogel-B-12-Iron-D-Mannose-NAC-Co-Q10-D3-Omega 3

araminta

« Reply #2 on: March 16, 2020, 07:23:45 AM »
I'm in the UK, I went to do our weekly shop this morning, I would say the shelves were two-thirds empty, and there were far fewer people walking around.   It seems you can't get a time slot for home delivery within several weeks.

My main worry is my 93 year old mother.who is in a nursing home.   It is still open to visitors but I guess that may change in the next week or so.

I heard from a friend that the hospital where her daughter works has had all the hand sanitisers wrenched off the walls, all the toilet paper stolen, and even a delivery of surgeons' face masks had been taken.   Charming.

My brother-in-law is considering cancelling his wedding in May, as there will be several guests in their eighties.
Dry eyes (MGD), nose, mouth, labyrinthitis, rashes, dry skin (occasional eczeme), mouth ulcers, constant but fluctuating fatigue.  Blood tests and Schirmers negative,no Sjogrens dx yet.   Flax oil, multivitamins,  saline nasal spray, Hylo forte, Lacrilube, organic castor oil for eyes, moisturisers.

Deb 27

« Reply #3 on: March 16, 2020, 08:21:23 AM »
Since I have diabetes and asthma, I am staying away from stores and restaurants. I live in a small town and currently we do not have delivery for groceries so my husband has to go to the grocery store. As of today, we don't have any cases in our county. I am sure it's just a matter of time.  I think if people would stay strong and isolate, this thing will get over much faster and affect fewer people. I am trying to do some things around the house that are long overdue like cleaning up spare bedrooms, cleaning closets and drawers. Luckily, we can still go for bike rides and to the beach and enjoy the outdoors!!!!

Sjogrens and RA,  Morphea (skin scleroderma), Hashimoto's, 
Nexium, synthroid, HRT, plaquenil,  Restasis, Maxi-tears supplement, L-glutathionne, CoQ10, folate, trintillex,  multi vitamin. lisinopril.

Carebear

« Reply #4 on: March 16, 2020, 08:23:44 AM »
I live in western Canada. It's dizzying how rapidly things have changed on the last 48 hours. 

All schools, K-12 and universities, are closed indefinitely.  We were last told they may not open until September at the earliest but it's too early to say.  All licensed daycares are closed. They are preparing to check all hospital visitors for fever and symptoms before being allowed to enter.

Several stores are reducing their hours now too, but that makes sense because no one is shopping and the staff need to be kept safe too.  All recreation centers and attractions are closed indefinitely.

You can't find toilet paper anyway, but most other things are well stocked.  We're fine here because being raised by children from the Depression, I am always prepared for at least a couple months.

Personally,  I will not be leaving the house unless I go for a walk or need to pick up essentials.  We will be relying on deliveries wherever possible. My spouse is working in healthcare and may expect to be redeployed sooner rather than later.

I have family in both education and healthcare so it is hitting close to home. I am more concerned about them right now than myself.
Sjogren's syndrome, RA,  Raynaud's phenomenon, Celiac Disease, Hashimoto's Thyroiditis, Grave's Disease, Fibromyalgia, Osteoarthritis, Osteopenia, Cervical Stenosis

Gabapentin, Methotrexate, Synthroid, Dexilant, Domperidone, Metronidazole, Pennsaid, folic acid.

Scottietottie

• Global Moderator
« Reply #5 on: March 16, 2020, 05:32:31 PM »
Hi  :)

I'm in the UK. Boris says that the Gov. will soon be telling the over seventies to stay indoors for 4 months. My husband is over 70. He does all the driving. no kids live near. we will be going food shopping regardless  of what the government says.
  We'll keep our distance from people - no bars - no theatre - no meals out - but we don't do much of that anyway.

Stress is no good for autoimmune stuff. My attitude is kinda whatever will be will be.

Take care - Scottie  :)
http://sjogrensworld.org/   (our home page)
http://www.sjogrensworld.org/chats.htm   (find our chat times here!)
https://kiwiirc.com/client/irc.dal.net  (way to chat + nickname and #Sjogrensworld)

Never do tomorrow what you can put off till the day after tomorrow!

ohiolady

« Reply #6 on: March 16, 2020, 05:32:39 PM »
I am in Florida and in our particular county no cases yet.  In the last eight days we have been to the store twice. We are going tomorrow hoping to get enough to last for awhile. We have a pool and have nice walking areas in our neighborhood.

We have no plans to go anywhere except the grocery store.

Stay safe everyone! I am hoping we get thru this sooner rather than later.

Anna
SJS  Hashimoto's   Mild Raynauds  GERD  Gastroparesis
Restasis, Evoxac, Dexilant,  Domperidone, Zofran and Synthroid. Fish Oil, Vit D and B12  R lipoic acid,  Acetyl L Cartnine, Vitamin B1, and The Perfect Food Green and Fruit supplement

Kidney Cancer Survivor   
Female   Age: 62

Carolina

• —if it ain't one thing, it's another." Roseanne R.
« Reply #7 on: March 16, 2020, 08:46:38 PM »
Our dining room at the Senior Community is now closed....meals are delivered to our door.

Assisted Living and Memory allow no resident to leave the bldg, and only 'end of life' and emergency personnel' can enter. NO family..

In Independent Living, where I am, residents can leave the bldg, and those who drive can go who knows where?    Which is why I'm in self isolation.

I hope my infusion nurse will be allowed to come into the bldg. to administer my IVIG every 4 weeks, assuming I still have it delivered?  Will to donors keep going to the donation sites (actually they sell their blood since it has to be really 'clean' and they donate regularly)??

Exercising for 90 minutes at 9 pm every night, with nary a soul in sight, and wipes in both hands at all times, is the only thing keeping me sane.

There will be no housekeeping for our apartments, which we usually have weekly.

I wonder what the housekeeping staff is doing?  And the dining room staff?. I guess they are disinfecting hall rails, elevators, bath rooms, etc.  And delivering meals.  Dunno.  I don't answer the door if any knocks, and I need to put out a sign about that.  My husband does if he's here, of course.  And then I go into another room.

In the meantime our entire savings is just melting away.  Almost 13% of our savings are gone in one week.  Fortunately my husband's savings (the larger amount) are conservatively invested or the loss would be much higher.   My portfolio is down 19%.

It seems surreal, really. 

France is locking down everyone.  A Centralized Government makes these decisions for the entire country.  My son's base is in Paris, but they just bought a vacation/retirement house on the Brittany coast, and he and is wife are there.  Their kids are stuck in the Paris apartment and cannot leave to join them in Brittany, at least for two weeks.

I just don't see how groceries are being produced, and shipped?  I keep thinking about farms, and places that bake bread and such?  Or drug producers, unless they're all in China?  Ships bringing stuff in?  Planes aren't flying and they transport a LOT of stuff.

Oh, well, I guess we'll find out how things work or don't work.

Regards, Elaine
Female-Elaine,76-CVID-pSJS-IC-PN-CAD-Osteoarthritis-COPD-SFN-Knee/Shoulder Degeneration-SIBO-Intertrigo-Act.Purpura-Anemia-Copper Def-Raynaud's-Meniere's-Hiatal Hernia-Achalasia-IVIG Gamunex-Medrol-Gabapentin-Atenolol-Pilocarpine-LDN-Nasonex-Lipitor-Estrogel-B-12-Iron-D-Mannose-NAC-Co-Q10-D3-Omega 3

susanep

• Each Day Is A Miracle !
« Reply #8 on: March 17, 2020, 01:30:57 AM »
Me and my husband live in a small town in TN. We don't have any with the virus that we know of yet.

I am going to the local doctor Wednesday.
We stay home except for food, doctors, and pharmacy.

We have both had more aches and pains than usual, and I think some of it is the overwhelming info on this virus, and trying to process it all.

We have some extra food and cleaning supplies.

We are trying to live in faith not fear.
susanep
Sjogren's, Lupus, Rheumatoid Arthritis, Hypothyroid, Fibro, Sleep Apnea, Diabetes 2, Asthma, and Gerd.  (Meds I take) Omeprazole, Pilocarpine, Levothyroxine, Effexor, Cpap, Aspirin, Mobic, Prilosec,, Xanax, Restasis, Systane,Vitamin D3, Plaquenil, Gabapentin, Provigil , Advair, Nasonex, and Proventi

Linda196

• Administrator
« Reply #9 on: March 17, 2020, 03:55:31 AM »
Hubby and I are sort of loners anyway (more him than me, but whatever  ;) ) so our weekly trip to town for supplies can easily become biweekly or monthly, and we usually have plenty of stock on hand. We keep an eye on the status of local shops and plan accordingly. Many local box stores and grocery stores have instituted "seniors" shopping hours, a 2 or 4 hour selected time period in which seniors and vulnerable population are given dedicated access, to ensure that they can shop undisturbed in smaller numbers, and still find the supplies they need. Before I do go shopping, I do a quick canvas of the neighbourhood, and take lists from as many households as I can, to reduce the numbers of people who actually go to the stores.

Social distancing is becoming a real thing. No handshakes or hugs, and it's kind of funny to see people calculating in their heads just how far 2 M is from someone.

We had just seen our family doctor a week or so before the restrictions started, and I understand that, although still open, his office is limiting appointments so that there aren't more than 2 patients in at one time, and he will talk to people on the phone to see if he can handle issues remotely or has to see them. Other than that, if we do need medical appointments, we will simply follow the guidelines of that particular office.

All public gatherings are suspended, so kids and everyone who can work from home, are home, and the streets and shops look like ghost towns. Most places that are still open are placing sanitizer stands by each check out, and I've noticed many cashiers don't handle cash without gloves, or cards at all, asking customers to place the card in the machines or scan them themselves.

Hospitals, nursing homes and residential facilities have limited visiting. In one very unfortunate case, a visitor to a veterans residence blatantly violated the government imposed rule about self isolation for 14 days following an international visit, and as a result that facility has been locked down, absolutely NO visitors, and the staff is living onsite for 2 weeks! We are very serious about protecting our elderly. The visitor has been placed in supervised isolation for the two week period as well, while ranting about his rights, From what I understand, the rest of his travel party has been isolated since their return without problems.

Our province had one case last week, an international traveler who self isolated automatically but was screened when she showed symptoms. Over a week, that one case has expanded to 7 last night (probably more this morning) all of whom had had contact with the first one either on the trip or after her return. None are hospitalized as yet.

My work history involved high risk for contamination due to the patients I saw so Universal precautions and PPE (personal protective equipment) are second nature to me, although sometimes I find it difficult to limit handwashing to only 20 seconds, I'm used to 30 seconds!
Please check out our home page at http://www.sjogrensworld.org/index.html {{INCLUDES A LINK TO AMAZON SHOPPING!!}}
; and live chat at https://kiwiirc.com/client/irc.dal.net/#SjogrensWorld

irish

• Global Moderator
« Reply #10 on: March 17, 2020, 09:42:05 PM »
I don't have much exciting except that the first person with coronavirus was found last week. That made it much easier for them to close the schools in our area. Thankfully there are no small kids in the family anymore. Don't know how they will handle credits if school is closed through May. I have a grandson graduating so this could get interesting.

The co-op I live in has just closed the building to visitors and canceled the monthly meals and weekly coffees. This is a small apartment building so it won't be much of a problem was no "crowds" occur. I will not be going to the library anymore. Have to go out of town now for my liquid meds such as eyedrops, inhalers, etc but otherwise they can mail them to me. Can also shop for groceries at the same place so that is handy. I have the mask and gloves so will make quick trips.

It will be interesting keeping busy. I have always been able to entertain myself  and keep busy with crocheting a little, reading, computer, phone info. I can also walk 9 steps to my car and go fork a ride and stop at the drive thru at DQ and McDonalds. None of us know what will happen to the businesses that we frequent as we are all left at the mercy of the virus.

I wish all of you a safe spring and summer as we all deal with this strange virus. It surely has different characteristics than the flu we know. Take care all. Irish

Carebear

« Reply #11 on: March 18, 2020, 08:25:53 AM »
Wow. So much has changed here again in the last 48 hours. The important thing for all of us, is that we stay calm and support on another.  I live in a small condo complex and we are all looking out for each other, picking up groceries or medication for those unable to get out.

So now we have many, many changes. All restaurants, coffee shops and bars are closed indefinitely.  Takeout and delivery are still allowed, even alcohol if you can believe it! 

No gatherings over 50 are allowed.  That means that services including weddings and funerals will be postponed. 

Last week, a dental conference was held in Vancouver with 15,00 in attendance.  To date, 6 people from that conference have tested positive in our province.  Yesterday, all nonemergency dental services and treatments in the province are canceled.  I had an April appointment and can you believe that I am sad about missing this?

All elective surgeries in the province are canceled.

Public transit has been significantly reduced because ridership is down. No students, people working from home.  They are still working out the best balance between safety for passengers and economics.

Hair salons and all retail stores are closed. Grocery stores and pharmacies remain open.

We still have mail delivery which means I get to read my junk every day. Our biweekly newspaper is expected today.  Fingers crossed we get it because it is important we have a local perspective on everything.

As they have said - Stay Calm and Wash your Hands.
Sjogren's syndrome, RA,  Raynaud's phenomenon, Celiac Disease, Hashimoto's Thyroiditis, Grave's Disease, Fibromyalgia, Osteoarthritis, Osteopenia, Cervical Stenosis

Gabapentin, Methotrexate, Synthroid, Dexilant, Domperidone, Metronidazole, Pennsaid, folic acid.

Linda196

• Administrator
« Reply #12 on: March 19, 2020, 03:22:08 AM »
Sounds very much like our restrictions, Carebear, which makes sense, provincial decisions are being guided by federal ones overall. Elective surgeries and outpatient clinics are all postponed, and doctor's offices are screening before entry and offering virtual appointments when possible. Non-emergent dental services are closed.

Public transit is still operational at this time, but offered free, and riders are asked to use the rear bus doors, bypassing the drivers, and seats have been blocked in strategic patterns to impose social distancing.

Small business and services are really going to suffer through and after this crisis. One way of helping I've found, is buying gift certificates for services like hair styling and aesthetic services that we may be missing, and use them for our regular routines when the restrictions lift, enabling some cash flow for the independent providers. The gal who does my foot care was very pleased when i offered, and made everything happen via email. Local independent restaurants are in the same boat,and if its a place you frequent, a gift certificate instead of your usual "date night" now can be used when we are turned loose, eventually.

Lots of local people have started new online social groups just to "have coffee" with friends every day, very much like our Thursday evening chats. There are various platforms available. Many zoos, museums and art galleries are offering free virtual tours. one of my favourite new things is the local "help groups" I'm seeing on Facebook. Groups where someone who's is able to be out posts that they are going to a particular shop or generally shopping, and asks if anyone needs anything they can pick up and drop off. I've seen people post desperately that they are out of a necessity but cant get out, and within minutes someone will answer saying they are on the way to the grocery store and will drop the item off in a couple of hours. No one seems worried about reimbursement either, if you have the ability to e-transfer, that works, but to be honest no one is taking cash from someone on isolation, even self imposed protective!

Speaking of Thursday evening, we will remain open for the duration for our scheduled chats, and the chat room is always available if you felt like dropping in to see if anyone is around, or arranging to meet someone from here at a specific time. https://kiwiirc.com/client/irc.dal.net/#SjogrensWorld
« Last Edit: March 19, 2020, 03:29:47 AM by Linda196 »
Please check out our home page at http://www.sjogrensworld.org/index.html {{INCLUDES A LINK TO AMAZON SHOPPING!!}}
; and live chat at https://kiwiirc.com/client/irc.dal.net/#SjogrensWorld

Bucky

• Global Moderator
« Reply #13 on: March 19, 2020, 10:46:13 AM »
Who would have thought back as we ushered in the New Year 79 days ago that the world would be turned upside down so quickly in a matter of weeks!

Here in Central IL many businesses are closed and employees who are able to, are working from home.

I work for a company that includes a restaurant, banquet facility and a golf course.  The restaurant/banquet is closed down.  We're still able to run the golf end of the business (at least as of right this minute), but the weather hasn't been cooperating, so we're pretty much at a stand still right now.   :-X  My work schedule has been reduced down to one day a week to keep up on entering invoices and getting the mail and doing the banking for what little income we are getting.  They say we can apply for temporary unemployment which I am looking into.

I feel sorry for the couples who had wedding receptions planned in two weeks who are now scrambling to re-schedule their wedding or whatever plans they are looking into for the situation right now.  I have the capability to view our company event calendar at home, and I see that at least one of our brides has rescheduled their reception from April to late May.  This will be a test for their marriage to see how they weather the ups and downs that come with daily life.  I wish them all the best!

I prefer to be a homebody during "normal" circumstances, so being at home now isn't really any different for me - other than the fact that I don't run errands like I use to.  As of today, my husband will be working from home once his company has all the details worked out.  He'll go to his sisters house to use their high-speed internet as ours at home (in a rural area) probably won't work for him.  (at least that will get him outta my hair for a little bit . . .  ;D ).

Whenever I see a quote I like, I write it down (I have many notebooks with them written in) - so, here's a quote of the day for you:  "Be the person that makes others feel special.  Be known for your kindness and grace". 

Wishing all of you a safe, healthy time as we all deal with a lot of unknowns that we've never experienced before.  Be well and look for the positives sprinkled in each day and don't let the news bring you down.

Bucky
Come sit a spell and join in live chat - we serve non-fattening, zero calorie goodies while discussing all kinds of things.  ;D

http://www.sjogrensworld.org/chats.htm   (find our chat times here!)

araminta

« Reply #14 on: March 22, 2020, 08:39:24 AM »
Things have got more stringent here in the UK.

My mother's care home has been closed to visitors for the past four days.   Supermarkets now have special priority shopping times for the elderly and for NHS staff.   All pubs. restaurants and many other public venues have been asked to close.

A lot of people are working from home  or have been sent home, and over 70's are being asked to stay indoors.   Schools are closed except for vulnerable children or children of key workers who cannot be at home to look after them.

Doctors and nurses are complaining that the protective clothing they have been given is wholly inadequate.
Dry eyes (MGD), nose, mouth, labyrinthitis, rashes, dry skin (occasional eczeme), mouth ulcers, constant but fluctuating fatigue.  Blood tests and Schirmers negative,no Sjogrens dx yet.   Flax oil, multivitamins,  saline nasal spray, Hylo forte, Lacrilube, organic castor oil for eyes, moisturisers.