Author Topic: Corona Virus / Flu  (Read 1411 times)

Carolina

• —if it ain't one thing, it's another." Roseanne R.
Re: Corona Virus / Flu
« Reply #30 on: March 11, 2020, 01:16:06 PM »
Dearest Sjogren's Angels,

I am now 'self isolating' in my apartment.  I can't imagine doing this for three months or more but I'll take it a day at a time.

This is why I'm isolating:

I thought I would be just as fine as any other person, when it comes to the Corona Virus. And my 'systems' (heart, lungs, liver, etc) are very strong.

BUT I have an Primary Immune Deficiency.  My immune system makes a very inadequate amount of both IgG and IgM.  So every four weeks I am infused with donated IgG from thousands of donors.

And when I get their IgG, I also get their immunity to whatever is circulating around in the world.  HOWEVER, my donors have NO immunity to the Corona Virus (Covid-19).

And MOST IMPORTANT, donated IgG CANNOT learn to fight the Corona Virus in my body

The IgG of normal people will be able to 'learn' the virus and fight it once it invades the body.

My donated IgG cannot learn the virus.  So, if I contract the virus I will become critically ill.

I began IVIG 7 years ago and I have almost NEVER been sick, since.  So I thought I would be as OK as anyone when it comes to the Corona Virus. But I was wrong.

My husband is a Research Immunologist, and finally last night he got me to understand why I am so at risk.

I am a highly social person and I live in an active retirement community: bridge 4 times a week, Scrabble 3 times a week, socials, trips to the Symphony, and on and on.

Now I am not doing any of those things.  I guess I will go to doctor's visits.  Can I have my hair cut?  My nails done?   I guess not. 

My husband is picking up my meals from the dining room, and generally interfacing with the world.  BUT if he picks up the virus, he will infect me even before he knows he's sick.

Alas.

Sending virus free hugs,  Elaine
Female-Elaine,76-CVID-pSJS-IC-PN-CAD-Osteoarthritis-COPD-SFN-Knee/Shoulder Degeneration-SIBO-Intertrigo-Act.Purpura-Anemia-Copper Def-Raynaud's-Meniere's-Hiatal Hernia-Achalasia-IVIG Gamunex-Medrol-Gabapentin-Atenolol-Pilocarpine-LDN-Nasonex-Lipitor-Estrogel-B-12-Iron-D-Mannose-NAC-Co-Q10-D3-Omega 3

irish

• Global Moderator
« Reply #31 on: March 12, 2020, 12:41:56 AM »
I will pray that the virus avoids your hubby, Caroline. I am in pretty good place and at least my kids don't have to come in and do things for me....especially if they get sick.

Regarding the toilet paper situation in the world. I was shopping in Walmart tonight standing in the empty toilet paper isle when my DIL sends me pictures on phone of 2 stores she visited that were out of toilet paper. She texted that she did not know anything about this shortage and she needed TP tonight!!

Next picture is 3 packages( all different brands) of TP sitting in your living room. She was thrilled to get a stash! She keeps her emergent supply storage full at all times and I am surprised she ran out of TP.

A little story on my middle son. I was always a hoarder.. living in the country and I always had TP in abundance in my storage. My son married and lived very close to us in the country. One day he walked over and went to the basement and came up with a roll of TP and walked back home. His wife was laughing later. She said he would get very anxious when the TP would get low. Guess he didn't trust her to get to town soon enough. :) Irish

irish

• Global Moderator
« Reply #32 on: March 17, 2020, 10:19:37 AM »
Yesterday I had my infusion. I am getting it now at a medical clinic closer to me and I don't have to drive up to my sons. I was getting older and it was harder for me to do the trip. The driving was ok but the packing up and loading the car and having to walk up and down stops at sons house was getting harder for me.

Ayway, I walked in to register at the desk and they know me well. But, I had my N95 mask on and explained that was was being active in protecting myself. The gal told me that that the infusion center had set up the protocol that we (their patients) should just walk in and go directly to the infusion center. This way we would not be exposed to any people that could jeopardize out health.

When I got to infusion center I told them that I was being proactive in all aspects of life because I was trying not to get wiped out by this virus. When I was taken back to the infusion area I put into the room that was used for infection control. Patio door, tv, etc. and across from the bathroom. I told the nurse that I didn't need the room if they had someone else that needed it. She told me they had heard what I said about trying to avoid the coronavirus and that is why they put me in the room. Very nice of them I thought.

The nurse informed me of all the meetings they are having and of some of the changes being made. They are being very proactive which was very comforting. So many changes we go through and with all our illness and health events and changes life seems to become more complicated. We just do the best we can. Irish

jazzlover

« Reply #33 on: March 17, 2020, 07:58:00 PM »
Makes you wonder, "sixty!"

I do know of a few who are sick, but they have not been tested yet.

Mast Cell Activation Syndrome (MCAS), Salicylate Sensitivity,  Interstitial Cystitis,  gluten intolerance, Raynaud's, Sjogren's, A-fib; cytomegalovirus, recovered from Lyme disease

sixty

« Reply #34 on: March 17, 2020, 11:30:10 PM »
How things have changed since I wrote that!

jazzlover

« Reply #35 on: March 18, 2020, 10:48:26 AM »
I guess I was replying to a comment on page 1?

Hope you are doing well!
Mast Cell Activation Syndrome (MCAS), Salicylate Sensitivity,  Interstitial Cystitis,  gluten intolerance, Raynaud's, Sjogren's, A-fib; cytomegalovirus, recovered from Lyme disease

sixty

« Reply #36 on: March 18, 2020, 10:46:06 PM »
yes, I'm hanging in there.  I'm also fine staying home cos I'm a natural hermit.  I hope you're doing well also Jazzlover.  I hope we all come out of this with bells on.  I'm happy Trump's wanting to send the unemployed money quickly.  That's a great thing and it's a substantial amount, sort of.  I wonder if retired people will be included in those that receive it.

Navigator

« Reply #37 on: March 20, 2020, 07:12:59 AM »
I get the flu shot every year also.  This Jan I got the pneumonia vaccine when this corona virus kicks in .  I too do not often get sick but when I do it can linger for a long time and my lungs get involved.  I've been told not to fly but my daughter just had baby.

I am so bereft. She could use my help but she lives in NYC area and my doctor is just telling me not to go up.   It is SOOOOO sad.

With respect to this virus I believe the doctors are super concerned about it because it is quite easily caught and we have no herd immunity to it.   Measles are the most infectious but with the vaccine it is quite rare because so few people are susceptible.  Viruses need a base level of vulnerable humans to start spreading. This is why some illnesses in the past would come through an area and infect a lot of people and then a few years would have to pass before it came back.   There were not enough vulnerable people in the population to sustain transmission,.  Left to its own devices this virus would run rampant through the population and we do not have enough Hospital beds/ventilators to take care of the percentage that would get REALLY Sick.

Our health care professionals would have to triage care...because of a lack of ventilator or beds.   Not something Americans are used to.

We also are now a more elderly world and a more urban world.  Look how hard it is to get people to stay at home or even social distance.    This is our WW2. 

Hashimotos thyroiditis, Primary SJS, IBS, autoimmune hearing loss, leucopenia, arthritis,asthma.
Synthroid, Plaquenil, Crestor, Evoxac,Vit D , Fish Oil, Restasis, Daily Walking, Sleep, Baby aspirin, Probiotic, avoid gluten,dairy and sugar, hearing aide, gratitude, big dog

irish

• Global Moderator
« Reply #38 on: March 21, 2020, 01:17:21 AM »
It is expensive to treat the health issues and financial issues of this virus and its onslaught.. The thing we need to stop and think about is that our country is a Republic and we recognize the importance of our citizens. We all have a number of people whom we love and are close with. We also have many acquaintances whom we cherish even though we don't see them often.

Our country goes even deeper than that as we can get into friendly conversations with people no matter where we are. We also tend to take care of our neighbors and watch out for each other without being asked. Lately I am almost moved to tears to see how we have the freedom to drive where ever we want and we are allowed to roam freely and trusted to obey rules and stop lights, etc.

It is only the people who have no respect for others, and probably non for themselves, who do not follow the rules or be kind to others. We have such a great country and it is shown to the world that we care for our citizens when we move heaven and earth to prevent illness and death from a disease. It would be so much cheaper and less cumbersome to work so hard.....but we live in the best country in the world. This is my humble opinion as a citizen of the United States of America. This may take longer than we care to admit, but we will make it through and we will be a stronger nation than we were going into this situation. Irish

Sooki

« Reply #39 on: March 25, 2020, 11:17:20 AM »
In Seattle, we've had a lot of time to get used to this new situation.  COVID19 is a bad disease, but the most dangerous part of it, is that it could hit so many people at once, swamping the emergency/ICU resources.  We're pretty serious about sheltering in place here. 

In the ICUs in Seattle, half of the COVID19 patients are 18 to 50.  The initial statements that it's a disease of the elderly have not borne out.

My daughter's housemate got the disease and shut himself in his room for 2 weeks, with housemates leaving him food outside the door.  It was so hard for us as parents not to be able to go there and help or even to tell her to come home and quarantine in her room.  I think that's the worst part of the disease - you can't be with your loved ones who are in danger, except by video chats.

The unsheltered are the hardest hit.  There is sometimes literally no place for them to go inside, even in the daytime with the libraries, stores, and restaurants all closed.  When this is over, I think the world may be a changed place.  I hope we can make that a more humane place with more of a safety net.

68 yo, Sjogren's, Lupus, Hashimoto's, fatigue, MGUS, peripheral neuropathy, ocular rosacea
Plaquenil, CellCept, Synthroid, Atorvastatin, Xiidra, doxycycline, D3, biotin, B12, ALA, DHEA, Ubiquinol, CPAP, D-mannose, Paleo AIP, fish oil, Cliradex wipes

irish

• Global Moderator
« Reply #40 on: March 26, 2020, 11:21:09 PM »
In regards to Plaquenil .... I have been on it for over 10 years and have wondered if it will decrease the coronavirus the severity if I get it. Well, tonight on TV they had doctors answering questions and one of the questions was if Plaquenil would prevent us from getting the virus and the doctor said no. So, guess we will have to see what the info says after this wild year is over is over. Irish