Author Topic: Corona Virus / Flu  (Read 1410 times)

Carolina

• —if it ain't one thing, it's another." Roseanne R.
Re: Corona Virus / Flu
« Reply #15 on: March 05, 2020, 07:02:16 PM »
Corona Virus is a virus family designation:  SARS, MERS, the common flu (which can be over 100 different viruses) and the common cold, among others, are ALL Corona Viruses.

COVID-19 is the name of the current novel (new) Corona Virus which has moved from animals into humans.  Because it is new, no one has acquired any immunity, so that makes it a bit scarier, of course.

1.  This virus isn't as lethal as SARS, but may be more lethal than 'ordinary' flu viruses, it seems.  But it is not the Plague or Black Death type thing and probably not even the Spanish Flu of 1918.  It isn't clear that COVID-19 is any more contagious than the annual flu, perhaps even less contagious.  I hear different things.

2. WASH YOUR HANDS many times a day.

3. DO NOT TOUCH your face (easier said than done).

4. Current statistics of the lethality of COVID-19 do NOT include cases that are so mild that the sick person doesn't even know they are sick, so the death rate is probably over- stated.

5. https://www.worldometers.info/coronavirus/coronavirus-age-sex-demographics/

The distribution of deaths isn't the same for all age groups.  Only those over 60 and those with serious preexisting conditions are seriously at risk.  The rate becomes much higher for those 80+ years old.  Men are more at risk than women.

6. The effect of the measures taken to prevent the spread of COVID-19 is having a severe impact on the economy world-wide.  This may be the greatest damage, in the long run.

7. VACCINE:  It will take at least year to develop and test a vaccine for COVID-19.

https://www.nbcnewyork.com/news/health/covid-19-are-we-close-to-a-novel-coronavirus-vaccine/2312199/

Wash your hands, do not touch your face.  Relax.

Regards, Elaine

« Last Edit: March 18, 2020, 08:23:25 PM by Carolina »
Female-Elaine,76-CVID-pSJS-IC-PN-CAD-Osteoarthritis-COPD-SFN-Knee/Shoulder Degeneration-SIBO-Intertrigo-Act.Purpura-Anemia-Copper Def-Raynaud's-Meniere's-Hiatal Hernia-Achalasia-IVIG Gamunex-Medrol-Gabapentin-Atenolol-Pilocarpine-LDN-Nasonex-Lipitor-Estrogel-B-12-Iron-D-Mannose-NAC-Co-Q10-D3-Omega 3

jazzlover

« Reply #16 on: March 05, 2020, 08:27:59 PM »
They are just preparing us for it.
Mast Cell Activation Syndrome (MCAS), Salicylate Sensitivity,  Interstitial Cystitis,  gluten intolerance, Raynaud's, Sjogren's, A-fib; cytomegalovirus, recovered from Lyme disease

Jenny

« Reply #17 on: March 06, 2020, 03:56:57 AM »
I totally agree with you Sixty. Tens of thousands die in the US every year from the regular flu.
63 year old female with back, shoulder, neck and knee pain, dry mouth, losing teeth, dry sinuses,Blood test positive for Sjogrens. Fibromyalgia, Osteoarthritis .
Maloxicam, Lisinopril, Norco, misc.vitamins
4 discs in low back fused. Shoulder replaced 2015 & 2017 Need knee replaced.
4 hand surgeries

Joe S.

• Fibro, Sjs, RA, CNS, Diabetes, TIA's, ADHD, ptsd
    • Chakra Force
« Reply #18 on: March 06, 2020, 07:58:03 PM »
Nexus Magazine reports a 50 ton shipment of vitamin C to Wuhan from Australia.  It seems to slow or stop the spread.

Spooky2 rife machine from China now has added the kill frequencies to their database.
bkn C4 & C5, herniation's 7 n, 5 t, 4 l, Nerve Damage
Lisinopril, Amlodipine, Pantoprazole, Metformin, Furosemide, Glimepiride,
Centrum Silver, Cinnamon, Magnesium, Flaxseed, Inositol, D3, ALA, ALC, Aleve, cistanche
Reiki, reflexology, meditation, electro-herbalism

irish

• Global Moderator
« Reply #19 on: March 06, 2020, 11:19:21 PM »
I have watched so much on TV for days about this virus. I have learned a lot but they keep changing a lot of it. Tonight on line I found a Dr. who was very good about explaining and drawing pictures. Complicated to me as I can't work my brain fast enough now.

Anyway, he went through a bunch of things and said that this flu (in research) seems to be fought off by zinc. The zinc is to be at a high level in our blood stream, but the doc said that if one would take it on a regular basis our zinc level would increase. He thought it would be worth a try.Also, the zinc is water soluble and we shouldn't have a problem with toxicity. He also said that the H1N1 flu seemed to be defeated more by vitamin D.

I have decided that I will just stay home more than usual when the virus starts to be more widespread. We have some cases in the cities but not widespread yet. Really, staying calm is a good idea cause getting all shook up could cause us more chance of dying from a heart attack.

My theory is that this has been a very good time to get our act together and get our countries factories making our meds and medical supplies. Everybody has been thinking someone else was keeping watch. We have had things way too good in this country. We have forgotten that we come from people who settled the land and made do with little or nothing for decades. Life is not without hardship (besides the electronic age stress). Stay well and take it easy. Hopefully by spring things will be more predictable. irish

Maria3667

• Cultivating a 'dry' sense of humor.
« Reply #20 on: March 07, 2020, 02:20:40 AM »
Just to put things into perspective: in the worst case scenario (according to WHO) this virus is fatal for approx 1 to maybe 3.5% unfortunate souls who fall ill from it.

But by far and gone not everyone is afflicted!

Falling beyond the stats are those who are either immune to it or those who only show minor symptoms. THAT IS THE MAJORITY OF US!

It's not 1 to 3.5% of the whole population who might die, but only of the small group whom test positive.

Of course it's terrible for the afflicted. But on a world population of almost 8 billion, 3450 deceased is less deaths than the regular flu.
« Last Edit: March 07, 2020, 02:43:58 AM by Maria3667 »
52. DES-daughter ('67), Lyme's ('98), GAD ('98), Sjogren's ('02), hypothyroid ('04), endometriosis ('14), osteoarthritis ('16), blepharitis ('18), frozen shoulder ('19). Pilocarpine, thyroid meds, 25mg quetiapine, 1% testosterone. Allergies: sodium hydroxide, nickle, methylisothiazolinone, latex

Kathy57

• Primum non nocere - "First do no Harm"
« Reply #21 on: March 07, 2020, 10:35:30 PM »
I take a flu shot religiously every year.  I would never go without one!  All of my doctors concur.  I am a registered nurse and have great faith in science.  I have also completed the two part Shingles vaccine.

I don?t believe there is any evidence that a flu shot will make you sick, but we should really be having this discussion with our trusted health care advisors.

You cannot work at any of the healthcare facilities in my area without getting a mandatory, and yearly, flu vaccine.  This is done more to protect vulnerable patients, but also to keep the staff well so they will not miss work.  My hospital gave them to us for free, and not taking a flu shot was never an option.  You could be terminated for refusing it, and I actually full heartedly agree with that assessment.

Nothing is 100% but we should do what we can to protect others and ourselves.  Have a good Sunday!

Kathy
« Last Edit: March 07, 2020, 10:42:15 PM by Kathy57 »
62 yr old female - Diagnosed Sjogrens Aug. 1st 2014.  Plaqinil, Evoxac, Prevacid, Lexapro, Hypothyroid, Esophagel Reflux, Gastritis, Barretts Esophagus, failed sinus surgery with 3 nasal septal perforations.  (Can't see it from the outside)  Asthma, albuterol, Dulera, Nebulizer, Osteoporosis.

irish

• Global Moderator
« Reply #22 on: March 08, 2020, 01:46:21 PM »
I plan to tell my kids that if I get the C virus I will probably die. I am not hoping to die but the stats put me in that group. I never thought that with all these autoimmune diseases I would live long enough to be taken out by a world wide virus.

As an old RN I am totally fascinated in all the flu that has been in our country. I have done a lot of reading on them and there is a lot of history that we are never told. I plan on checking out the flu that has affected our country in the 1700 and 1800 next. This includes other illness besides the flu. I got interested in this back in high school when I wrote reports on the Plague and Poliomylitis. We will never be without these infections as they seem to knock down every centuries population.  Irish

jazzlover

« Reply #23 on: March 08, 2020, 07:56:07 PM »
Irish .. I'm a bit younger than you and a bit more healthy, but I have serious doubts about my survival too. My husband is healthier than I am but his asthma is worse than mine.

I get really sick any time I get the flu or such.

I am prepared, and that is all we can do.
« Last Edit: March 08, 2020, 07:58:44 PM by jazzlover »
Mast Cell Activation Syndrome (MCAS), Salicylate Sensitivity,  Interstitial Cystitis,  gluten intolerance, Raynaud's, Sjogren's, A-fib; cytomegalovirus, recovered from Lyme disease

irish

• Global Moderator
« Reply #24 on: March 08, 2020, 10:37:19 PM »
jazzover, We must sound really terrible to the younger generation. The thing about this c virus is that I have not heard any doctor who knows a lot about it. They are all stammering trying to tell the public what to expect.

We are all being given the message to stay calm but yet stock up with out wiping out the supplies. Everything that has been done for the sick ones in isolation has resulted in much expense. The planning is ongoing and Vice President Pence is so tired he can hardly talk trying to fly to all the affected areas.

The joke may be on us. Might not be as bad as we think and here we spent to the money. Then again it might be that the younger people will do well and the older ill people will not survive anyway.....and it makes no difference what we have done so money has been wasted.

I plan to try to stay calm and stock up on cold cereal and canned milk.....An attempt at humor!!! Take care all. Irish

susanep

• Each Day Is A Miracle !
« Reply #25 on: March 10, 2020, 12:20:18 AM »
I have a lot going against me too, but none of us will go until it's our time as I believe.
Hugs,
susanep
Sjogren's, Lupus, Rheumatoid Arthritis, Hypothyroid, Fibro, Sleep Apnea, Diabetes 2, Asthma, and Gerd.  (Meds I take) Omeprazole, Pilocarpine, Levothyroxine, Effexor, Cpap, Aspirin, Mobic, Prilosec,, Xanax, Restasis, Systane,Vitamin D3, Plaquenil, Gabapentin, Provigil , Advair, Nasonex, and Proventi

araminta

« Reply #26 on: March 10, 2020, 02:30:48 PM »
A little corona virus update from the UK.

We have 383 confirmed cases to date, and six deaths.

There is now widespread panic buying of toilet paper!   I visited three supermarkets today and all had run out.   It takes a virus like this to make us realise where our priorities lie.
Dry eyes (MGD), nose, mouth, labyrinthitis, rashes, dry skin (occasional eczeme), mouth ulcers, constant but fluctuating fatigue.  Blood tests and Schirmers negative,no Sjogrens dx yet.   Flax oil, multivitamins,  saline nasal spray, Hylo forte, Lacrilube, organic castor oil for eyes, moisturisers.

irish

• Global Moderator
« Reply #27 on: March 10, 2020, 02:38:58 PM »
arminata, You are so right. I went to Walmart to pick up a lot of stuff as I was running out of everything. I didn't see a shortage until I got to the gallons of water. It was all gone. Eventually the people in my town thirst but do not poop. There was plenty of toilet paper and other paper products. Irish

I just thought of this...I bet the liquor stores are doing a business. I  did hear that Coke and Pepsi were trying to stock up to help us through this event.

katie1111

« Reply #28 on: March 11, 2020, 05:13:50 AM »
Remember SARS?  I was traveling during that fiasco and was temporarily quarantined in Bhutan.  The King felt he must do something so he announced anyone who had been to China (SARS originated in China) would be quarantined for 10 days.  Our tour group had been to Tibet which the King decided would be included even though Tibet is not physically connected to China.  We were placed in a local hospital - which, because if its primitive conditions was very frightening.  We were afraid of what we might catch.  To make a long story short, we managed to cause enough problems to get ourselves released after about 3 hours.

We continued our trip and saw the terrible economic effect Sars had, not as an illness, but the number of people who lost their businesses because of the unnecessary panic about SARS.  What do you hear about SARS now?

I learned my lesson.  I am 75.  I am living my life as usual.  I have 2 cruises booked on Princess - one in October and one next March which I plan to take.  In the meantime, life is meant to be lived.  I refuse to let the media control my life.

Katie1111

Linda196

• Administrator
« Reply #29 on: March 11, 2020, 07:51:55 AM »
I just read a very interesting article regarding proposed treatment of the pneumonia caused by COVID 19.

It seems that they are researching the efficacy of HYDROYCHLOROQUIN (we know it affectionately as Plaquenil) as a treatment!

https://clinicaltrials.gov/ct2/show/NCT04261517

It has been used to treat this type, if not this specific strain, of pneumonia in the past with good effect.

OK, I'm good, guess I can take back all that toilet paper I hoarded (just kidding, I haven't panic bought anything, just keep my usual sustainability pantry intact! Well, maybe I'll refill the Plaq RX when I can LOL
Please check out our home page at http://www.sjogrensworld.org/index.html {{INCLUDES A LINK TO AMAZON SHOPPING!!}}
; and live chat at https://kiwiirc.com/client/irc.dal.net/#SjogrensWorld