Author Topic: Corona Virus / Flu  (Read 1412 times)

Douglas

Corona Virus / Flu
« on: February 26, 2020, 03:03:12 PM »
It's a long time since I have posted in here but I do read the forum a lot.

It's concerning that this virus seems to be hitting people with health conditions the hardest. Obviously no one will no for sure the effects this virus would have on us if indeed any of us catch it, so my question is regarding the Flu. I haven't had the Flu in years and don't take the Flu jab at all as I have read it can give you the Flu?

Should I be taking a Flu shot as I have Sjogrens? Would I be more at risk of complications if I had the Flu?

Thanks

Maria3667

• Cultivating a 'dry' sense of humor.
Re: Corona Virus / Flu
« Reply #1 on: February 26, 2020, 06:36:08 PM »
Hi Douglas,

Like you said, since I have Sjogren's the flu seems to pass me by... I'm not worried about the Corona virus as I feel our immune system is already ramped up.

But I would be cautions if my condition would be compromised by ailments, especially concerning lungs, heart, arteries, diabetes and those weakend by cancer. From what I've read the already vulnerable are most at risk from Corona.

Having the flu might complicate things. On the other hand, the flu jab often makes people sick too. So you'll have to weigh the pro's and con's.

Personally I've never taken the flu jab & haven't had flu in over 20 years (maybe due to my daily dose of 3.000 mg vitamin C?). So for me I feel it's unnecessary, but it's a decision each person has to make individually.

Edited: to add vitamin C.

« Last Edit: February 28, 2020, 05:38:56 PM by Maria3667 »
52. DES-daughter ('67), Lyme's ('98), GAD ('98), Sjogren's ('02), hypothyroid ('04), endometriosis ('14), osteoarthritis ('16), blepharitis ('18), frozen shoulder ('19). Pilocarpine, thyroid meds, 25mg quetiapine, 1% testosterone. Allergies: sodium hydroxide, nickle, methylisothiazolinone, latex

Joe S.

• Fibro, Sjs, RA, CNS, Diabetes, TIA's, ADHD, ptsd
    • Chakra Force
« Reply #2 on: February 26, 2020, 09:17:58 PM »
I take the flu shot every year. News thru Nexus Magazine indicates that high doses of Vitamin C help to slow or stop the virus. 3-5 grams I would imagine. The report said 50 tons of C was being shipped in. Old and sick people, especially males seem to die from it.
bkn C4 & C5, herniation's 7 n, 5 t, 4 l, Nerve Damage
Lisinopril, Amlodipine, Pantoprazole, Metformin, Furosemide, Glimepiride,
Centrum Silver, Cinnamon, Magnesium, Flaxseed, Inositol, D3, ALA, ALC, Aleve, cistanche
Reiki, reflexology, meditation, electro-herbalism

Douglas

« Reply #3 on: February 27, 2020, 03:30:29 AM »
Hopefully our ramped up immune system as you say will protect us all from the worst of it. I will be sure to buy some strong Vitamin C when I am at the shop and I would get enough food and supplies to cover a few weeks quarantine anyway as this thing could out of hand. Better safe than sorry.

Jenny

« Reply #4 on: February 27, 2020, 04:39:42 AM »
I get the flu shot every fall and never have had an issue.
63 year old female with back, shoulder, neck and knee pain, dry mouth, losing teeth, dry sinuses,Blood test positive for Sjogrens. Fibromyalgia, Osteoarthritis .
Maloxicam, Lisinopril, Norco, misc.vitamins
4 discs in low back fused. Shoulder replaced 2015 & 2017 Need knee replaced.
4 hand surgeries

twilite

« Reply #5 on: February 27, 2020, 04:32:34 PM »
I have never had a flu shot. I never got the flu. I don't catch colds.

I read they are using plaquenil to combat coronavirus. I have been taking for years maybe it works...

64 Years Old - Diagnosed in 2008 - Secondary Sjogren' s, HypoThyroid, Fibromyalgia, osteoporosis, RA, , Pre-syncope, Hypermobility syndrome, Arthralgia, Insomnia, neuropathoy, dry mouth, eyes, low BP & Vit D, Citrulline Antibody, orthostatic hypotension, ulcer, glaucoma, brain fog, and depression

jazzlover

« Reply #6 on: February 27, 2020, 08:13:48 PM »
NO flu shots for me.

It won't help with the corona anyway.

I'm not even sure I would take any vaccines they might develop for corona.
Mast Cell Activation Syndrome (MCAS), Salicylate Sensitivity,  Interstitial Cystitis,  gluten intolerance, Raynaud's, Sjogren's, A-fib; cytomegalovirus, recovered from Lyme disease

twilite

« Reply #7 on: February 28, 2020, 03:41:17 AM »
NO flu shots for me.

It won't help with the corona anyway.

I'm not even sure I would take any vaccines they might develop for corona.

Me either..
64 Years Old - Diagnosed in 2008 - Secondary Sjogren' s, HypoThyroid, Fibromyalgia, osteoporosis, RA, , Pre-syncope, Hypermobility syndrome, Arthralgia, Insomnia, neuropathoy, dry mouth, eyes, low BP & Vit D, Citrulline Antibody, orthostatic hypotension, ulcer, glaucoma, brain fog, and depression

Maria3667

• Cultivating a 'dry' sense of humor.
« Reply #8 on: February 28, 2020, 05:35:54 PM »
Coincidentally, I've taken high dose Vit. C (3.000 mg) ever since I was diagnosed with Sjogren's. That probably contributes to staving off the flu too.

I'm also a frequent hand washer (with warm water as I'm allergic to most soaps). Just as a precaution I've ramped that up now. The WHO says washing your hands is more effective than wearing a facemask (for the general population, in a medical setting it might be different).

Good luck to all :) !

52. DES-daughter ('67), Lyme's ('98), GAD ('98), Sjogren's ('02), hypothyroid ('04), endometriosis ('14), osteoarthritis ('16), blepharitis ('18), frozen shoulder ('19). Pilocarpine, thyroid meds, 25mg quetiapine, 1% testosterone. Allergies: sodium hydroxide, nickle, methylisothiazolinone, latex

irish

• Global Moderator
« Reply #9 on: March 02, 2020, 09:06:53 PM »
I was an RN in my former life and never did get a flu shot. I had mixed feelings about it but no one had never tried to discourage me about it. That was until we had a flu at the long term care facility I worked at.

This was the craziest flu so I have to tell somebody!!! The people started out with the sniffles and colds, cough, etc. They started almost dropping like flies. It spread really fast. We had to put a sign on the door saying no visitors. After a couple of days the people would get what we called the "dropsies". It was so crazy. The staff would call for more staff in the dining room half way through the meal. The people with the dropsies would be almost on the floor. They would get so weak and droopy that they would slide like a wet noodle almost out of their wheelchair. If they had a restraint or Posey belt on they would slide also and that is unsafe.

So we would have all these people sliding out of their chairs who needed to be put to bed...all at once....and at the same time. Of course we did the best we could with out lifts and 2 or 3 people lifts. Sooo, that is really the one flu I remember the most cause it was so weird. Those of us who hadn't had our flu shots had decided to get on the next year.

I have gotten one every year since..and that was at least 24 years ago. I didn't get diagnosed with autoimmune til after the year 2000 ands had been having symptoms since 1964. I don't get the live virus and have little if any aching, etc. Thanks for listening. Irish

Deb 27

« Reply #10 on: March 04, 2020, 11:49:35 AM »
I get a flu shot every year these days. I'm 65, have some asthma, SJogrens and Diabetes, sooooo........

I also think taking a multi vitamin might help boost your immune response, so I do that daily. My B12 and folate levels are finally back up!!!
Sjogrens and RA,  Morphea (skin scleroderma), Hashimoto's, 
Nexium, synthroid, HRT, plaquenil,  Restasis, Maxi-tears supplement, L-glutathionne, CoQ10, folate, trintillex,  multi vitamin. lisinopril.

jazzlover

« Reply #11 on: March 04, 2020, 05:22:17 PM »
No flu shots for me. It will not help.
Mast Cell Activation Syndrome (MCAS), Salicylate Sensitivity,  Interstitial Cystitis,  gluten intolerance, Raynaud's, Sjogren's, A-fib; cytomegalovirus, recovered from Lyme disease

irish

• Global Moderator
« Reply #12 on: March 04, 2020, 11:09:34 PM »
I heard from several different docs on TV today that they think some people have a  genetically predisposition protecting them from these bugs. We can all hope we have that. Good luck all. Also, they say people of high risk should stay away from crowds.......I  think most of us don't have a very active social life anyway. Irish

twilite

« Reply #13 on: March 05, 2020, 09:17:08 AM »
I have no social life it was just me and my mom. Then my grandson moved in and my son moved in he and his girlfriend had a baby and they moved in.

I have a big house too big for me I was planning to sell and downsize this year but coronavirus had other plans...

The healthy young people are in and out working and going places all the time. I had to go behind them multiple times a day disinfecting the doors light switches sink...  They exhausted me.

I found this stuff Microban 24 hr protection and I use it on a a day now and lysol in between. Hoping it works.

I really wish they had somewhere to go so I can be alone and safer.

The baby has a birthday Saturday and her mom is coming to visit, they knew they had to get a hotel cause I'm not trying to put myself at anymore risk.

I can't go to baby birthday party cause I'm limiting my social network.

I just wish I had an RV parked in my drive way lol 😆

sixty

« Reply #14 on: March 05, 2020, 01:10:57 PM »
I think this whole corona thing is quite weird.  I say that because everyone on the news is talking about it, warning us about it, explaining how to avoid catching it, yet I don't know anyone who has it.  I know there are some folks that have it, and some have died, but it just doesn't seem like it's any more dangerous than any other flue we've had in the past, and they're acting like it's something out of "The Stand" by Stephen King.  What am I missing?