Author Topic: A Baby Boomer Life  (Read 451 times)

Bucky

• Global Moderator
A Baby Boomer Life
« on: February 25, 2020, 12:58:03 PM »
Hi - I am a baby boomer, born in the late 1950's.  (Wow, just typing that sounds soooo long ago!)

Growing up I had always heard my grandma and my parents talk about all the changes that had happened in their lifetime.  As they got older themselves, technology kept bringing new and different things into their lives.  As a baby boomer in my early 60's, I have seen technology keep bringing new and different things to my life - as it did to my grandma and my parents.  Our son, a Generation Z - even he has commented how much things have changed in the world in his lifetime even in his mid 20's.

For myself, I have to admit that sometimes I feel like I have been left behind in this technology boom.  When people start talking computer lingo and all the features of their computer, laptop, tablet, or the capabilities of their phones, etc., I'm lost.  Our cell phones are just the basics, not all the bells and whistles (which I'm fine with).

Remember a house phone (or landline as they're called)?  Yup, I still have one at my home.  (Although, we should consider getting rid of it as the only ones who usually call are telemarketers  ::). )  I don't like being tied to my cell phone all the time.  People go into panic mode when they forget their cell at home, or their battery is low, or they don't get a response right away from a text message.  It's a two edged sword - you can be in contact with people hundreds and thousands of miles away in a nano second, it's convenient to use a cell from your vehicle while you travel (versus looking for a pay phone like years ago), but, you can also spend waaaay too much time sending texts, photos, doing face time, not to mention using all the apps people use.

Very seldom can you go somewhere where you don't see a cell phone sitting out on the table, or being held in a person's hand, or shoved into their back pocket.  It's the way of life in the year 2020.

There have been times where I just want to turn my phone off, and leave it off.  I don't want to be tied to my phone 24/7.  It used to be an unwritten rule that most people didn't call before 8 a.m. or after 9 p.m.  Now, you can get phone calls or texts any time of the day or night.  I've been woke up many times from family that live in other time zones sending texts early in the morning or late at night.

Ahhh, technology.

This thread is going to be about the changes in a Baby Boomer's life.  I've got a whole bunch of things to discuss.  If you're a boomer too, please join in the conversation.

Until next time,
Bucky
Come sit a spell and join in live chat - we serve non-fattening, zero calorie goodies while discussing all kinds of things.  ;D

http://www.sjogrensworld.org/chats.htm   (find our chat times here!)

Scottietottie

• Global Moderator
Re: A Baby Boomer Life
« Reply #1 on: February 25, 2020, 04:42:20 PM »
Count me in Bucky! I'm a boomer too. Wow! The changes in our life time .... the changes within my kids' lifetimes!

My grandparents and my parents were both 'old parents' and my grandparents were born in the 1870s. How things have changed since then!!

Thankfully my grandmother embraced the technology of her time and was an avid photographer. She developed her own pictures.

I'll look forward to keeping an eye on this thread.

Take care - Scottie  :)
http://sjogrensworld.org/   (our home page)
http://www.sjogrensworld.org/chats.htm   (find our chat times here!)
https://kiwiirc.com/client/irc.dal.net  (way to chat + nickname and #Sjogrensworld)

Never do tomorrow what you can put off till the day after tomorrow!

sixty

« Reply #2 on: February 25, 2020, 07:41:05 PM »
How easy it is now to find anything out.  You can ask any question on line and get an answer right away.  You can learn how to do just about anything.  I remember using the encyclopedia to learn about the world, as it was state of the art in the 50's and 60's.  I love the internet part of progress.  I love having my curiosity quenched immediately.

Cricket

« Reply #3 on: February 29, 2020, 05:36:22 PM »
I am also a baby boomer.  We were just talking about how ars have changed.   The crank windows, seat belts, most guys could change their own oil and due a tune up.  We had maps no GPS.  And we all managed to get where we were going.

We still have a land line phone, as we only have 1 cell phone so if my husband is gone he’s got it.  I hate using that cell phone!  How about telephone booths  I made my kids put a quarter in their shoes in case of emergency.

I must admit I sure do miss those days!
Female 64 yrs. old with:~Lymphoma ~SJS~, Fibro, Neuropathy, Spinal  Stenosis, Degenerative Discs, Shingles Arthritis, Hypo-thyroid.
Rituxan, Synthroid, Lopressor, Vasotec, Zantac, Zyrtec, evoxac, Lexapro, Neurotin, Ambien, Zanaflex, Voltarm, Vicodin, fish oil, Centrum vit.,  CoQ10, vit. D, Miralax

Liz D.

« Reply #4 on: March 01, 2020, 05:12:31 AM »
One thing I don’t miss about the early days is having to get off the couch to change the channel on the tv....by turning that clunky dial! Of course, it’s probably added to the obesity issue that we have today.

I still wish that life was simpler like those days.
56 year old female
Sjogrens Syndrome (diagnosed 2004), Hypothryoidism, Asthma, Osteoporosis
Meds:  Plaquenil 400 mg; Synthroid 100mcg; Evoxac, Flovent, Flonase, Protonix 40 mg.,  Prozac 40 mg. Naproxen 500 mg., Hormone Replacement Therapy, vitamins, calcium, flaxseed, biotin

irish

• Global Moderator
« Reply #5 on: March 14, 2020, 11:16:00 AM »
My head isn't awake to be able to post on this thread yet, but....some time ago I was ust cursing the web as they say and I ran across a place where they had listed all the inventions, etc for each year plus the events that happened. I had copied down the year I was married but do't know where I put it. You might be able to do a search to find this article. Man it was interesting.

The thing I do remember about 1964 was there was no microwave and portable radios were a big deal. Color TV was just coming in to people who could afford it. My kids and grandkids can't believe how depraved we were back then. When I tell them you could buy a used car that ran and looked fairly good for 60 bucks they are astounded. Such interesting stuff. Irish

Bucky

• Global Moderator
« Reply #6 on: March 19, 2020, 11:40:45 AM »
Well, boomers, what a drastic change in all of our day-to-day life that has transpired since my first post on this thread!!!  Wow!! :o :o

I know in my last post I mentioned about how modern technology has just taken over our lives and how I didn't like some of the changes.  Well, thankfully due to modern technology, people are able to remotely work from home to "social distance" themselves from others right now.  Years ago, this would not have been possible.

I can just imagine the stories my parents and mother-in-law would share today of yesteryear if they were still living as this pandemic has hit.  In the past, I've heard the stories of how hard times were for them growing up when the depression hit.  They survived and learned to stretch food and resources to meet their needs. We've been spoiled by all the modern conveniences and will have to adjust our lifestyles.  We'll survive this too.

Getting back to some of your comments on this thread:

How easy it is now to find anything out.  I love the internet part of progress.  I love having my curiosity quenched immediately.
  Sixty - I do too!  If you want to know something right away, just check on-line and you can have it answered.

most guys could change their own oil and due a tune up.  We had maps no GPS.  And we all managed to get where we were going.

How about telephone booths  I made my kids put a quarter in their shoes in case of emergency.
  It was the "norm" to see my dad and uncles all gathered around a vehicle with the hood up as they changed the oil, spark plugs, or tinkered under the hood or underneath the vehicle.  Today with all the electronic gear on vehicles you can't fix it yourself, it has to go to the dealership and be hooked up to diagnostic equipment ($$$).

I still order and use paper maps when traveling - there have been many times when we had no reception where we were at and a GPS would be useless. 

Here in our local community someone has one of those old fashioned phone booths outside their home.  I wonder if the phone inside actually works??

One thing I don’t miss about the early days is having to get off the couch to change the channel on the tv....by turning that clunky dial!
  Oh yeah - child labor when we had to change the channel for mom and dad.   ;D  Ha, THEY controlled the tV and everyone didn't have their own in the house like they do now.  How about the garage door openers?  Again, child labor in the rain, snow, whatever the weather was.  When I was growing up, most homes only had a one-car garage - today, there are multi-car garages on homes.  There's a house I pass in the area that has a 4-car garage!!  (of course, probably one of those garage doors has all the riding mowers, weed eaters, snowblowers, gardening tools, bikes, snowmobile, ski-doo, boats, kids toys, etc.).  Growing up my car sat outside and I would have to scrape off the ice/snow and run out there in the pouring rain, etc.

I ran across a place where they had listed all the inventions, etc for each year plus the events that happened. Man it was interesting.The thing I do remember about 1964 was there was no microwave and portable radios were a big deal. Color TV was just coming in to people who could afford it. My kids and grandkids can't believe how depraved we were back then. When I tell them you could buy a used car that ran and looked fairly good for 60 bucks they are astounded.

Irish, if you find the name of that place, let me know, I'd like to look at it.  I found online years ago something similar to that if you put in the year.  In fact, I made a booklet for this man from church for his 90th birthday that showed him all the events of his life through the years - he really enjoyed it.

I miss my little transistor radio I use to have.  Back then, no music devices like they have now!

We tell our son about "used vehicles" back in our day and how you could buy a really nice one for less than $500 bucks.  Today $500 bucks for a used vehicle would probably buy you a steering wheel.   ;)

Well, this post is waaay too long for today - so I'll end here.  But we'll continue this thread and share our experiences along the way.

Take care and do what you can to protect yourself from illness as we deal with the COVID-19.
Bucky
Come sit a spell and join in live chat - we serve non-fattening, zero calorie goodies while discussing all kinds of things.  ;D

http://www.sjogrensworld.org/chats.htm   (find our chat times here!)

Joe S.

• Fibro, Sjs, RA, CNS, Diabetes, TIA's, ADHD, ptsd
    • Chakra Force
« Reply #7 on: March 25, 2020, 08:12:48 PM »
Okay, I am a boomer. I have camped in a ten covered in snow. I have built outhouses and hand drilled wells. I have used a wood cook stove that I chopped wood for. I have hand pumped and hauled water by hand.

I have collected old BW TV's from the curb and repaired them to sell or give away. I have cut and constructed my own TV antennas to watch stations 500miles away. I have designed, built, and programmed computers.

I saw Lee Oswald shot live. I enlisted to avoid the draft rather than going to Canada to live with my blood brothers family. I used to climb small cliffs (50-75 foot) on motor cycle to see how far I could jump at full throttle.  I have scuba dived.

I have two daughters and five grandsons. My wife and I own our own home and car. We are living on our pesions.

Sjogren's is just a challenging blip in a full life.
bkn C4 & C5, herniation's 7 n, 5 t, 4 l, Nerve Damage
Lisinopril, Amlodipine, Pantoprazole, Metformin, Furosemide, Glimepiride,
Centrum Silver, Cinnamon, Magnesium, Flaxseed, Inositol, D3, ALA, ALC, Aleve, cistanche
Reiki, reflexology, meditation, electro-herbalism

meirish

« Reply #8 on: July 08, 2020, 01:45:50 PM »
I don't know if I am a baby boomer or not, but I just took one of those tests on phone and it said my mental sage is 35-37. Now I am 77 so that made be feel good.lol  Actually, I would have rather had a 37 year olds body and a 77 yr old mind.   Such is life!!   8)

meirish
« Last Edit: July 08, 2020, 01:49:48 PM by meirish »