Author Topic: Brain lesions and Sjogrens?  (Read 439 times)

Deb 27

Brain lesions and Sjogrens?
« on: February 04, 2020, 01:36:00 PM »
Do many of you out there have brain lesions with Sjogrens? I think I've read about some over the years. I've been dizzy lately and had balance issues, so my PCP ordered a brain MRI. Ugh, I hope it's not brain lesions but I hope it will show why I've been dizzy, headaches and imbalance. I flunked the "sobriety" test where you put one foot in front of the other and try to walk. LOL.... I kind of suspect one of my ears has a problem.
Sjogrens and RA,  Morphea (skin scleroderma), Hashimoto's, 
Nexium, synthroid, HRT, plaquenil,  Restasis, Maxi-tears supplement, L-glutathionne, CoQ10, folate, trintillex,  multi vitamin. lisinopril.

irish

• Global Moderator
Re: Brain lesions and Sjogrens?
« Reply #1 on: February 04, 2020, 02:53:17 PM »
If you do a search on the brain lesions ...search is on the home page....you will find some posts about this.

There have been people with lesions but I don't remember the whole picture. Sometimes Sjogrens is a misdiagnosis that is figured out down the road. Good that you are having a scan. My neuro does one every so often as in every 5-8 years....to see if anything has shown up.

Dizziness or ataxia is a problem for sjogrens patients. This can cause problems walking. I developed this bcd in 1996 and I walked like a drunk for many months. I ended up taking off 4 months work. I had other issues at that time also. I did improve quite a bit but have had balance issues a lot ever since. Be patient and think positive til you have the scan and it is read. Interesting enough, when I have my balance issues and missed all that work I was not diagnosed with any autoimmune disease. Sjogrens was diagnosed in 2003. Life is interesting. Take care and good luck. Irish

araminta

« Reply #2 on: February 05, 2020, 06:40:29 AM »
Could it be labyrinthitis?   I occasionally get this, and had it particularly badly the first year my Sjogrens symptoms got going. 
Dry eyes (MGD), nose, mouth, labyrinthitis, rashes, dry skin (occasional eczeme), mouth ulcers, constant but fluctuating fatigue.  Blood tests and Schirmers negative,no Sjogrens dx yet.   Flax oil, multivitamins,  saline nasal spray, Hylo forte, Lacrilube, organic castor oil for eyes, moisturisers.

Deb 27

« Reply #3 on: February 05, 2020, 01:16:31 PM »
I guess we will see when I get the MRI. Will an MRI pick up labrynthitis, araminta?? I suspect it's something with my ear, a nerve or allergies. Some days it's bad, others, not so much.  What do they do for labrynthis??? I can't take Motrin or Advil.

That's quite a story Irish. Sorry you went through that. I hope you don't have it anymore!! I wonder if the dizziness was related to the brain lesions?? I certainly don't want to have to go on any hard hitting meds.

Nexium, synthroid, HRT, plaquenil,  Restasis, Maxi-tears supplement, L-glutathionne, CoQ10, folate, trintillex,  multi vitamin. lisinopril.

irish

• Global Moderator
« Reply #4 on: February 05, 2020, 03:08:52 PM »
There are many things that can cause dizziness and imbalance. Many of them response to medication and some need steroids in addition to daily part time medication. Many of them show up on scans also. I have 4 different issues that cause balance issues and have had them for 20 years. You learn to adspt and live with them---at least I have. Don't panic...a virus can cause dizziness at times. Irish
« Last Edit: February 06, 2020, 01:02:10 PM by irish »

susanep

• Each Day Is A Miracle !
« Reply #5 on: February 05, 2020, 11:14:00 PM »
All of you with the brain issues are going through so much. What do you do  when walking and dizzy? I keep thinking of falls and broken bones. It is scary.

Hugs,
susanep
Sjogren's, Lupus, Rheumatoid Arthritis, Hypothyroid, Fibro, Sleep Apnea, Diabetes 2, Asthma, and Gerd.  (Meds I take) Omeprazole, Pilocarpine, Levothyroxine, Effexor, Cpap, Aspirin, Mobic, Prilosec,, Xanax, Restasis, Systane,Vitamin D3, Plaquenil, Gabapentin, Provigil , Advair, Nasonex, and Proventi

araminta

« Reply #6 on: February 06, 2020, 04:40:16 AM »
I guess we will see when I get the MRI. Will an MRI pick up labrynthitis, araminta?? I suspect it's something with my ear, a nerve or allergies. Some days it's bad, others, not so much.  What do they do for labrynthis??? I can't take Motrin or Advil.
   Betahistine tablets (also called SERC) work very well for me, I always keep a pack at home just in case.

I don't think the MRI would pick up labyrinthitis.
Dry eyes (MGD), nose, mouth, labyrinthitis, rashes, dry skin (occasional eczeme), mouth ulcers, constant but fluctuating fatigue.  Blood tests and Schirmers negative,no Sjogrens dx yet.   Flax oil, multivitamins,  saline nasal spray, Hylo forte, Lacrilube, organic castor oil for eyes, moisturisers.

eye2dry

• Sjogrens, RA, hypothyroid
« Reply #7 on: February 06, 2020, 07:10:54 AM »
Hi all.

I had something like this in March 2016. Happened when I drove to a nearby town. It started with a ringing in
one ear.....dizziness....managed to make it home driving with my head cocked at a funny angle, one eye shut.

Soon as I got home the vomiting started, the room was spinning and turning on its side, vision distorted.

Hours later husband took me to GP, he gave me shot of compazine, RX for antivert and valium.
Took 3 days to recover completely.  He mentioned labrinthrytis as reason.

However, my rheumy felt it was a result of sjogrens affecting my inner ear.

Anyways, it never happened again, and I never want it to !!

Good luck and hoping for good news on your MRI Deb27.

Shelly
medications: synthroid- Cymbalta- plaquenil- lots of supplements

***Lord help me to be the person my dog thinks I am***

vrystaat

« Reply #8 on: February 06, 2020, 10:37:23 AM »
My Sjogren's Syndrome started with brain problems (Neuro-Sjogren's).
Back in 1990 I suddenly got Neuropathy in my legs. I remained undiagnosed for the next 10 years.
Sjogren's syndrome can actually cause symptoms similar to multiple sclerosis.

Thereafter I got a Cranial nerve dysfunction (Trigeminal neuritis).
Peripheral nervous system disease, manifesting commonly as peripheral sensory neuropathy or, more rarely, as mononeuritis multiplex, is a well-established feature of the disease.
The manifestations of SS are protean, with almost any part of the body being possibly involved.
Primary SS can have central nervous system (CNS) manifestations, including focal brain lesions, diffuse brain lesions, and spinal cord lesions.
Currently, I am quite ill, & getting IVIG for Acute Myositis.

I'll stop here, or else I'd get carried away.
You must see a Neurologist early, and get some help.

Best wishes
Sjogrens;Polymyositis;Polyneuropathy;Gastritis;GERD, Autonomic Neuropathy, Neurological complications, Trigeminal Neuralgia,Gamma 3 globulin low;Multiple infections;Brain fog; Ocular problems - blepharitis, scleritiis, dry eye,severe eye pain. Possible Inclusion body Myositis.Currently Endstage

irish

• Global Moderator
« Reply #9 on: February 06, 2020, 01:18:29 PM »
Vrystaat, I am sorry that you are having so many issues. ope the IVIG works for you.

I started with issues back in about 1990. I would have problems knowing where to place my feet when I walked. It was like I couldn't find the sidewalk position.. Of course doctors didn't listen. I had hypothyroid at the time, newly diagnosed, and in reading had found that there is a balance issues or ataxia associated with it.Doctors didn't want to hear it.

Also developed proprioception and still have it. Trouble knowing where to place my body, hands and feet, etc in relation to the world. Example :Driving into a dark garage and then trying to find my car handle to open the door. Have to look at the ground when I walk. I have noticed for years that walking when I worked was much easier. I worked as a nurse and walking in the halls gave me a better ability to know my boundaries. If I walked other places where there was more space I was in worse shape.

I developed worse problems in 1996 with the ringing in my ears ad eventually started losing the hearing in my right ear. I am losing the hearing in my right ear and wear a hearing aid now. I was diagnosed with autoimmune ear disease a couple of years ago. I have to hearing loss antibodies identified in my blood. They didn't have this technology to test for this years ago.

About a year ago I started having more balance issues ( I have about 4 kinds so don't know if this is new or more of what I already have) and I have since started using a walker to keep me from falling. I am not too weak but have myasthenia gr avis and need to be careful. I love my walker. I take it to the doctor and other places. Store it in the back of my van, I keep it in my garage to I can load groceries on it and hall them to my apartment. I thought it would be a pain to deal with but so far so good.

Hood all of you with hearing and balance issues can get relief, Also , the neuro part of this is hard to deal with. I am on the IVIG also for the MG and I would think that it has helped me more than I know for other stuff. Irish

Deb 27

« Reply #10 on: February 10, 2020, 07:32:54 AM »
Thank you for all of the input and insight!!!! I am sorry others are dealing with this. Dizziness is incapacitating. The meclizine is not working very well for me either. I need to start exercising for my diabetes and have had some luck with the recumbent bike.

I wonder if this isn't from the shingles or some kind of herpes virus that I had back in 2017 on my nose. They didn't culture so we don't know. I wonder all kind of things!!! LOL... This can be a puzzling disease.

Vrystat, I wish you a lot of luck with what is going on right now.

Carolina

• —if it ain't one thing, it's another." Roseanne R.
« Reply #11 on: February 10, 2020, 11:15:38 AM »
OK, I had balance issues, and couldn't put my feet one in front of the other.

I turned out to have peripheral neuropathy.  I did have three MRI's and two CT scans in one day to rule out brain and spinal problems that might cause the neuropathy.

The neuropathy is related to my Immune Disorder.

The only time I get dizzy and fall over is if I close my eyes while I'm standing, or put something over my head.  Eyes are important for balance, as are ears, and the nerves in your legs.

Oh, I also have Meniere's, which is an Immune Disorder for me.

Good luck!

Elaine
Female-Elaine,76-CVID-pSJS-IC-PN-CAD-Osteoarthritis-COPD-SFN-Knee/Shoulder Degeneration-SIBO-Intertrigo-Act.Purpura-Anemia-Copper Def-Raynaud's-Meniere's-Hiatal Hernia-Achalasia-IVIG Gamunex-Medrol-Gabapentin-Atenolol-Pilocarpine-LDN-Nasonex-Lipitor-Estrogel-B-12-Iron-D-Mannose-NAC-Co-Q10-D3-Omega 3

jazzlover

« Reply #12 on: February 10, 2020, 12:17:00 PM »
Also consider Lyme disease. It can cause brain lesions that look like the lesions from MS.

Lyme can also cause dizziness.
« Last Edit: February 10, 2020, 12:21:07 PM by jazzlover »
Mast Cell Activation Syndrome (MCAS), Salicylate Sensitivity,  Interstitial Cystitis,  gluten intolerance, Raynaud's, Sjogren's, A-fib; cytomegalovirus, recovered from Lyme disease

Deb 27

« Reply #13 on: February 23, 2020, 08:21:40 AM »
Well, they called and said my MRI of the brain was OK. But they referred me to a Neurologist. However, the dizziness has subsided almost completely!!! It does seem to get worse when I eat restaurant food (MSG or sodium issues??) That is what I suspect, either that or allergies that are messing with my ears. Thank you for all your replies.