Author Topic: Anyone deal with "voice box" pain?  (Read 170 times)

deeindiana

• Deb Perry Studio: photography & graphic arts
Anyone deal with "voice box" pain?
« on: February 04, 2020, 12:14:37 PM »
Maybe it's not actually my voice box, but that's the area of the pain. For a month I've had pain in my throat (at the front of my throat just above that little indent in your neck), hoarseness, and feel the need to frequently clear my throat. It gets worse as the day goes on (talking makes it worse) until by late afternoon it's horrible. Even though my brain tells me that I can breather quite fine, my fears take over and I become a nervous wreck! (Yes, I'm my own worst enemy)

I've been sleeping with a humidifier, drinking sips of water frequently and sucking on Halls Fruit Breezers to numb some of the pain.  I don't think I have post nasal drip but gee, who knows! I don't feel excessively dry -- just my "normal" level of dryness -- but nothing helps and it seems to be growing worse.

I did have Influenza B over Christmas and the doctor said my chest pain was Costochondritis: inflammation of the rib cage cartridge (of course...MORE inflammation). I don't know if that could have anything to do with the voice box pain.

Does anyone else deal with this? I guess I'd like to know that I'm not alone and others have made it through! I made an appointment with my ENT doctor but can't get in for two weeks. Any words of advice or comfort?

Diagnosed June 2010.
Rheumy at University of Michigan Med Center. Age 52
Severely dry mouth & throat with difficulty swallowing, fibro, allodynia of the scalp.
Medications: Atenolol, Dexilant, Zoloft, Zocor, Flaxseed oil, Vit D, Nasonex, Plaquenil
I am my own worst enemy...

irish

• Global Moderator
Re: Anyone deal with "voice box" pain?
« Reply #1 on: February 04, 2020, 03:02:52 PM »
I had it just terrible for about 4 years off and on. Some days it was day after day.I was to ENT several time and no answers. I knew that I had GERD. I lost my voice a couple times and couldn't talk and then there were times I had terrible pain when I talked.

I spent a lot of my life on the couch with a warm rice pack on my neck. I also took Naprosen (Aleve) frequently as it helped. After I got through that terrible stage and was diagnosed I figured that I had inflammation in my larynx and the cricoid. Check images of throat on line. I was told years later that my vocal cords were red and swollen and I though "aha".

So, I think it was related to the Sjogrens and could have been related to Hashimotos/thyroid disease. Add there flux to the mix and it only dueled the fire. It really sort of overwhelmed my life and I was so glad that my kids were out of school. Hope you can get some help. Possible for a virus to land in that area in a person with autoimmune disease. Anything is possible isn't it.

People with rheumatoid arthritis are known to have pain in the cricoid also. RA is another connective tissue disease...so is sjogrens. Irish

Jeigh44

« Reply #2 on: February 04, 2020, 11:13:40 PM »
I get this off and on all the time!  It hurts in the indented part on both sides of my larynx.  I have been to three different ENTs and none of them had answers.    I also have intermittent hoarseness, a sore tongue, and pain under my jaw off and on.   I definitely think it is Sjogrens related.

irish

• Global Moderator
« Reply #3 on: February 05, 2020, 03:20:00 PM »
I think it is definitely inflammatory. I have hardly had this problem since I started my IVIG back in 2006. I get the IVIG once a month...a hefty dose....as needed for my Myasthenia gravis.  I suppose when I quit the IVIG my body will collapse into a pile and I will be a goner. Started my 14th year in Dec. Take care Irish

deeindiana

• Deb Perry Studio: photography & graphic arts
« Reply #4 on: February 05, 2020, 10:06:28 PM »
Thank you Jeigh44 and Irish (my old friend!). Somehow it is helpful to hear others have gone through this too. I like my ENT and hope he will take it seriously. The fact that it causes hoarseness seems to indicate the vocal chords are involved somehow. I'll also check online for photos for other clues as Irish suggests.

Gee... Why is it always something? I was doing so well there for awhile...
Diagnosed June 2010.
Rheumy at University of Michigan Med Center. Age 52
Severely dry mouth & throat with difficulty swallowing, fibro, allodynia of the scalp.
Medications: Atenolol, Dexilant, Zoloft, Zocor, Flaxseed oil, Vit D, Nasonex, Plaquenil
I am my own worst enemy...

susanep

• Each Day Is A Miracle !
« Reply #5 on: February 05, 2020, 11:06:53 PM »
I also experience this. I clear my throat all day long. It does help dee to know we are not alone.
susanep
Sjogren's, Lupus, Rheumatoid Arthritis, Hypothyroid, Fibro, Sleep Apnea, Diabetes 2, Asthma, and Gerd.  (Meds I take) Omeprazole, Pilocarpine, Levothyroxine, Effexor, Cpap, Aspirin, Mobic, Prilosec,, Xanax, Restasis, Systane,Vitamin D3, Plaquenil, Gabapentin, Provigil , Advair, Nasonex, and Proventi

Tharrell

• There has to be humor in this somewhere!
« Reply #6 on: February 22, 2020, 10:13:35 AM »
I have crycopharyngeal spasms that hurt like the dickens around my voice box. I’m to do a modified barium swallow with speech pathology to see what’s going on. Then I’m to see a speech therapist to learn specific neck massages help calm down the spasms. Maybe something similar?
MCTD, sjogren's,dRTA,CVID, sero neg. ra,achalasia,Morvan’s syndrome,familial dysautonomia,POTS, MCI, IC. Occular neuromyotonia migraines,raynauds,B6,Florinef, propanolol,sodium bicarb, plaquenil,requip,B2,topiramate, synthroid,diazepam,trulance,enbrel,cevimeline,
arava,omeprazole, mexiletin

irish

• Global Moderator
« Reply #7 on: February 22, 2020, 03:08:13 PM »
I can't say that I ever had spasms in my cricoid area in my throat but I know that the pain I had was sort of unrelenting and all I could think of was that it acted like joint pain in a joint. The fact that my vocal cords were so swollen and red sure seemed to make me think inflammatory.

My doctors all had other opinions , none of which I thought made sense. I know that I started this back in the a980's and ended up losing my ability to sing and never gained that singing ability back. I would also have an extremely hoarse voice and by the time my work day was over my neck and throat hurt really bad. Spent my off work hours with naprosyn tabs for inflammation and warm rice pack or heating pack on my neck. I was glad my kids were grown.

Hope you are feeling better Dee. One doctor told me it was from reflux but I raised the bed, took the meds, watched my diet and it made no difference. Another thing that just hit me...I had not been diagnosed with hypothyroid then and I moved the end of 89 and my new doc did tests and I was hypothyroid. Later I develoed Hashimotos. Have you been tested for these? The thyroid is so close to the cricoid. Good luck. Irish