Author Topic: Does Medicare pay for name brand Evoxac?  (Read 221 times)

ohiolady

Does Medicare pay for name brand Evoxac?
« on: January 31, 2020, 08:03:51 PM »
Hi everyone. I will be 65 in September and am wondering what to expect with my prescriptions. I tried the generic form and I could not swallow and began getting sores in my mouth again. I?ve been on the brand name for 12 years. Will Medicare require me to use the generic form? I have insurance through my husband?s retirement plan. We have United healthcare. It is a layover plan with the Medicare.

Any comments will be appreciated.

Thanks,

Anna
SJS  Hashimoto's   Mild Raynauds  GERD  Gastroparesis
Restasis, Evoxac, Dexilant,  Domperidone, Zofran and Synthroid. Fish Oil, Vit D and B12  R lipoic acid,  Acetyl L Cartnine, Vitamin B1, and The Perfect Food Green and Fruit supplement

Kidney Cancer Survivor   
Female   Age: 62

ohiolady

Re: Does Medicare pay for name brand Evoxac?
« Reply #1 on: February 04, 2020, 07:22:14 AM »
Is anyone on Medicare and brand name Evoxac????

Thanks!!!
Restasis, Evoxac, Dexilant,  Domperidone, Zofran and Synthroid. Fish Oil, Vit D and B12  R lipoic acid,  Acetyl L Cartnine, Vitamin B1, and The Perfect Food Green and Fruit supplement

Kidney Cancer Survivor   

irish

• Global Moderator
« Reply #2 on: February 04, 2020, 05:48:09 PM »
I don't know, but you can always ask your pharmacist about this. I assume you know about pilocarpine and that it is generic drug to increase saliva. Good luck. Irish

Linda196

• Administrator
« Reply #3 on: February 05, 2020, 02:48:30 AM »
Not sure how it works in the US, but in Canada most insurance requires a generic substitution unless the doctor writes "no substitutions" or "Brand only" on the original RX, If that is done, there's no problem getting brand.

There are also several companies making cevilimine (generic Evoxac) so there is a possibility that a different one may not contain whatever ingredient caused you issues.
Please check out our home page at http://www.sjogrensworld.org/index.html {{INCLUDES A LINK TO AMAZON SHOPPING!!}}
; and live chat at https://kiwiirc.com/client/irc.dal.net/#SjogrensWorld

ohiolady

« Reply #4 on: February 05, 2020, 05:31:02 AM »
Thanks! My doctor has written brand name only. So, maybe it will not be an issue.
It seems interesting to me I must be one of the few in this situation. The generic just did not work for me.

Anna

Kidney Cancer Survivor   

Cricket

« Reply #5 on: February 09, 2020, 04:26:42 PM »
They would not pay for it till I tried generic Salagen. 

It works good for me.  I take 4 a day.  Hope this helps.
Female 64 yrs. old with:~Lymphoma ~SJS~, Fibro, Neuropathy, Spinal  Stenosis, Degenerative Discs, Shingles Arthritis, Hypo-thyroid.
Rituxan, Synthroid, Lopressor, Vasotec, Zantac, Zyrtec, evoxac, Lexapro, Neurotin, Ambien, Zanaflex, Voltarm, Vicodin, fish oil, Centrum vit.,  CoQ10, vit. D, Miralax

ohiolady

« Reply #6 on: February 11, 2020, 08:56:45 PM »
Cricket,

I have already tried pilocarpine. Nothing has worked as well for me as brand-name Evoxac.

Anna

Kidney Cancer Survivor   

Carolina

• —if it ain't one thing, it's another." Roseanne R.
« Reply #7 on: February 13, 2020, 08:10:27 PM »
Medicare, per se, doesn't have drug coverage.  Medicare only covers Doctors, and Hospitalization, plus testing and a bunch of other medically related services.

Some of the Advantage Plans that manage Medicare for you (run by Insurance Companies) also include Prescription Coverage, and the coverage will vary from plan to plan.

I have basic Medicare, plus a supplement (which pays everything Medicare doesn't pay), AND I have to buy a Prescription Plan, separately. 

Brand name Evoxac is NOT covered by my Prescription Plan. 

Generic Evoxac, Cevilemine is NOT covered by my prescription. 

I take generic Salagen (Pilocarpine) and it IS covered but costs $340 for a 90 day supply. 

Salagen (brand name) is NOT covered.   

It seems criminal that such an important medication is so expensive, even in its most generic form!

Coverage of various drugs under those part D Prescription Plans varies.  But I think mine is pretty typical.

Before you choose any plan, either an Advantage Plan, or a Supplement plus separate Drug Coverage, be sure to cost out all the options for this important class of drugs.

Regards, Elaine

« Last Edit: February 16, 2020, 05:11:22 AM by Carolina »
Female-Elaine,76-CVID-pSJS-IC-PN-CAD-Osteoarthritis-COPD-SFN-Knee/Shoulder Degeneration-SIBO-Intertrigo-Act.Purpura-Anemia-Copper Def-Raynaud's-Meniere's-Hiatal Hernia-Achalasia-IVIG Gamunex-Medrol-Gabapentin-Atenolol-Pilocarpine-LDN-Nasonex-Lipitor-Estrogel-B-12-Iron-D-Mannose-NAC-Co-Q10-D3-Omega 3

ohiolady

« Reply #8 on: February 15, 2020, 06:24:13 PM »
Thanks Elaine! I guess I Will find out come September. I already get two medications from a Canada pharmacy. I might check the price on a Evoxac the next time I call.

Anna

Kidney Cancer Survivor