Author Topic: Extreme Itching  (Read 462 times)

Cricket

Extreme Itching
« on: January 15, 2020, 01:42:32 PM »
Does anyone have extreme itching?  I’ve had this for over a year.  I itch so bad that I bleed and then have sores.  Once my leg got infected, swollen and hot.  I had to take antibiotics.  I’ve been to 5 different doctors.  Now I am at an allergist. They seem to think it’s auto immune related.  So I am going to start an allergy shot called Zolair.  It is a shot under the skin and it is given every 28 days.  I sure hope it helps so I can get off of prednisone and Hydroxyzine. Has anyone else have anything like this?
Female 64 yrs. old with:~Lymphoma ~SJS~, Fibro, Neuropathy, Spinal  Stenosis, Degenerative Discs, Shingles Arthritis, Hypo-thyroid.
Rituxan, Synthroid, Lopressor, Vasotec, Zantac, Zyrtec, evoxac, Lexapro, Neurotin, Ambien, Zanaflex, Voltarm, Vicodin, fish oil, Centrum vit.,  CoQ10, vit. D, Miralax

irish

• Global Moderator
Re: Extreme Itching
« Reply #1 on: January 15, 2020, 03:23:56 PM »
I haven't had anything like that but there have been a few others with some bad itching. I do believe that you found the right doctor cause autoimmune does cause itching. When I was in nurses training we would get people in with terrible itching and they would be hospitalized for months. We would have to use all kinds of ointment and wet gauze wraps on their body plus steroids. They would have autoimmune diagnoses.

This was in the old days. :) I find it interesting that so many of your doctors didn't think of the autoimmune component with itching. Immunologists deal with diseases dealing with autoimmune, immune deficiencies and allergies. Itching is sure included in all those areas. Good luck. I would be inclined to think you will feel better.

The skin is the largest organ in the body and is known to have many symptoms related to systemic disease. Good luck. Irish
« Last Edit: January 15, 2020, 03:27:43 PM by irish »

katie1111

« Reply #2 on: January 16, 2020, 05:37:55 AM »
I have dealt with itching for many years and treating it can be mostly trial and error.  For me, bathing with an oatmeal based soap works (although not all are equally effective).  I highly recommend St. Ive's liquid oatmeal and shea butter soap which is readily available.  Benedryl is helpful - particularly at night since the main side effect is drowsiness.  Aveeno anti itch skin cream (they now have and odor free one).  If it is a small area try an ice pack (don't apply the ice directly to the skin, but wrap in a towel or something). Keep your skin well moisturized.

Katie1111

Cricket

« Reply #3 on: January 16, 2020, 07:53:32 AM »
Katie,
This is over the entire body.  I’ve have jars full of ointment, lotion and creams nothing helps.  The only thing that helps is Vick’s Vapo Rub but you are very greasy.  I do put ice on it sometimes.  Baths are not feasible cause I can’t get in or out due to a bad back.  I do appreciate you answering me.
Female 64 yrs. old with:~Lymphoma ~SJS~, Fibro, Neuropathy, Spinal  Stenosis, Degenerative Discs, Shingles Arthritis, Hypo-thyroid.
Rituxan, Synthroid, Lopressor, Vasotec, Zantac, Zyrtec, evoxac, Lexapro, Neurotin, Ambien, Zanaflex, Voltarm, Vicodin, fish oil, Centrum vit.,  CoQ10, vit. D, Miralax

irish

• Global Moderator
« Reply #4 on: January 17, 2020, 09:43:01 AM »
Has anyone done a skin biopsy???Many times the skin will biopsy what is wrong with it. I have a condition called Bullous Pemphigoid which is an autoimmune skin disease. I was a real mess when I saw my dermatopathologist and he cultured the drainage on my biggest draining lesion and it showed a bacterial and fungal infection. He put me on anti biotic, anti fungal and skin cream which was a steroid.

When the biopsy report came back it showed I had this skin disease. I had dealt with the skin issues off and on for about 5 years and would never thought of it being autoimmune. This was my first autoimmune disease. Good luck. Also, you don't need a drainage from your skin to be biopsied with a skin disease. Irish

Cricket

« Reply #5 on: January 17, 2020, 07:28:23 PM »
Irish

Yes did a biopsy and came back dermal hypersensitivity. Allergist said I have Dermatographia.  I think I spelled it right.  It’s also known as skin writing.   I am scheduled for the injection this coming Tuesday sure hoping it helps.

irish

• Global Moderator
« Reply #6 on: January 19, 2020, 12:33:55 AM »
I have heard of this. Good luck with the injection. Irish

jazzlover

« Reply #7 on: January 22, 2020, 04:25:33 PM »
Sounds like my issues. I have Mast Cell Activation Syndrome. You may want to google that.

I have not done Xolair because I'm a bit nervous about it. So far, my itching is much better after going on a low histamine and low salicylate diet. Helps TONS.

Salicylates stimilate the mast cells .. so I really have to stay away from them.

I hope you find what works for you!!
Mast Cell Activation Syndrome (MCAS), Salicylate Sensitivity,  Interstitial Cystitis,  gluten intolerance, Raynaud's, Sjogren's, A-fib; cytomegalovirus, recovered from Lyme disease

bdnews2

« Reply #8 on: February 03, 2020, 03:36:12 PM »
Hi everyone.   I havent been on for a while but the itching is still the same sometimes worse.  I have had surgery on my back last year and went to neurosurgeon today.  He is convinced that all my pain is sjs and arthritis related.  suggested a rheumy.  I might wait a bit on that.  The last one I saw about 6 years ago wasnt very helpful.  I am working and my contract is up in March so I might just stick it out til then before taking some more time off.  But the point to my reply is a suggestion for a cream for the itching.  I am a pharmacy tech of 40yrs, state and nationally certified.  i make my own compound of  1oz of benadryl cr (generic is ok) 1oz hydrocortisone cr 1% and this last one i made i added 5 drops of vit e oil and 5 drops of cbd oil.  Put it all on wax paper and mix it with a butter knife and put into a clean jar or plastic container.  It works for me in less than 10min.  The vit e & cbd is up to you and the amount of cbd is also up to you.  I did the vit e cause my skin is so dry.  REMEMBER, what works for me may not work for you.  This is what i use.  I also have Eucerin calming cr or lotion and i use aveeno body wash.  Melaluca makes a bath bar called a gold bar if you as so inclined but it could prove expensive. Let me know if this works for you.
Marie