Author Topic: skin cancer autoimmune  (Read 206 times)

irish

• Global Moderator
skin cancer autoimmune
« on: January 03, 2020, 10:40:49 PM »
I have had a red area on the bridge of my nose for about 4 years and I have a large bridge.  It changed in size and was reddish in color. I have had 4 month skin checks by derm the past years and in November I made sure they checked it again. This area is covered by the nose piece of my glasses so doesn't get direct sun.

It was some bigger and a little irritated. A biopsy was done and it came back squamous cell cancer. My first thought was that autoimmune wasn't going to kill me but squamous cell cancer would do me in. Anyway, I was referred to this dermatologist in the cities who has a very long list of education and specializes in weird skin cancers plus cancers that are in hard to remove locations. Very organized and fast paced office.

I had a very large hole on the side of my nose and about 1 1/2 inch scar from close to the inner corner of my eye slanting down to the curvature of the nares or lower nostril. He did the Mohs procedure to remove it. This is really the way to go as there is very little tissue removed and if done right the scar is hardly visible in one year. It also is known to have a good cure rate due to the way they remove the lesion. I was very fortunate as my lesion needed only one layer of tissue plus just a smaller portion of tissue on the edge removed. I will be more careful with my sun screen.

Now, the reason I am telling you this is because  I have had autoimmune for a long time and I have had a lot more growths of different types of lesions/tags the past year. My feeling is that between the sun and the autoimmune I am much higher risk for skin cancer. Just wanted to encourage folks to take the sun screen more serious and to be sure and see a dermatologist for skin checks. I never asked to have skin checks. I think I was put on the list because people with autoimmune are more apt to have cancer and this does probably mean skin also. They told me to use the sunscreen spf 50. I have used this more than 20 years and the past couple of year I have been lax. Have a good weekend. Irish

araminta

Re: skin cancer autoimmune
« Reply #1 on: January 04, 2020, 03:50:48 AM »
Thank you for making this point, Irish.   I'm very glad that the Mohs procedure went well.

I had a bcc removed from my face a few years ago and I'm sure it was largely due to my skin having become so dry.   I hardly ever sunbathe, and I do use sun screen, but I think the dryness makes the skin more vulnerable to all sorts of conditions, including skin cancer.   I also had what the dermatologist described as solar keratosis on my left leg, but my legs are usually encased in jeans so I don't think the sun had much to do with it.

It struck me that all the skin conditions I've had have been on my left side, and I suspect that is because I sleep on my left side, and so there is more friction against the dry skin on that side.   Just my guess.

So while of course it is vital to use sunscreen, I think it is also extremely important to keep the skin well moisturised.
Dry eyes (MGD), nose, mouth, labyrinthitis, rashes, dry skin (occasional eczeme), mouth ulcers, constant but fluctuating fatigue.  Blood tests and Schirmers negative,no Sjogrens dx yet.   Flax oil, multivitamins,  saline nasal spray, Hylo forte, Lacrilube, organic castor oil for eyes, moisturisers.

Confused

« Reply #2 on: January 04, 2020, 07:00:49 AM »
For what it worth my derm told me that melanoma generally shows on the legs.  That also goes for other types of skin cancer.

Does she know what she is talking about?  A pilot for a major carrier which came after flying 20 years for the military wound up with, so far, 3 things (can not remember the name but it was not melanoma) that had to be removed and not just by freezing the stuff off which you often have done if you are showing signs of something weird.  They went in and he wound up with stitches.  A yearly appointment check is a good idea.
Of course pilots always need to be cautious

Way back in the olden days (I was 18) I had a weird looking spot.  I went into a dermatologist and the spot he barely looked at but another circular spot that was not weird colored he immediately took off.  More like he took something that was circular and pressed it down hard and up came the spot which had roots on it!  That was spooky and it hurt like heck.

It was on my leg and it had roots about 1/2 inch or so.  I have had to have other weird things removed throughout the years but thankfully nothing with rootsj.

Just some information that probably isn't really helpful.

irish

• Global Moderator
« Reply #3 on: January 04, 2020, 10:07:37 AM »
One thing to be aware of....my first dermatopathologist told me to wear sunscreen all the time, even in the house. He said that we are always being bombarded by rays that damage the skin. I wore sunscreen all the time as he said and when i was in my 70's he told me that my face looked younger than my age and it was due to wearing sunscreen.

Also, these cancerous spots can show up anyplace but if you drive a lot the spots will be apt to show up ono the left side. If you are usually the passenger the right side will be more affected.  Also, when I am in the car either driving or as a passenger I lace hand or face towels around my arms if not wearing long sleeves. Also when wearing shorts I place towels over my thighs and knees. Sounds goofy but we often forget about other parts of our body.

Also, sometimes when I am in the sun I will have a weird burning sensation on the bare skin. I have had this for years and I think it is from the Sjogrens. Sometimes I will get a fine rash from the sun on bare skin. When working in the garden I would wear a big hat, sunglasses and a long sleeved shirt. It was darned hot but I didn't get the side effect from the sun. Thanks all for you information. Irish

Joe S.

• Fibro, Sjs, RA, CNS, Diabetes, TIA's, ADHD, ptsd
    • Chakra Force
« Reply #4 on: January 04, 2020, 02:22:12 PM »
At the end of February last year Bill from California paid me a visit. He had beat skin cancer in a different manner. After surgery, radiation and chemo it had metastasized in his body. The doctors wanted to do chemo and radiation again. Instead he purchased a Rife machine. After using his machine for two weeks there was no trace of cancer in his system. I know that there is no support for this here as it is against the law for a medical doctor to use one of these machines even though they are manufactured by Medtronics for over seas sales.
bkn C4 & C5, herniation's 7 n, 5 t, 4 l, Nerve Damage
Lisinopril, Amlodipine, Pantoprazole, Metformin, Furosemide, Glimepiride,
Centrum Silver, Cinnamon, Magnesium, Flaxseed, Inositol, D3, ALA, ALC, Aleve, cistanche
Reiki, reflexology, meditation, electro-herbalism

susanep

• Each Day Is A Miracle !
« Reply #5 on: January 04, 2020, 03:20:48 PM »
Irish,
Thank you dear for sharing this with us. You will be constantly in my prayers. I am glad they did a good job in taking care of it. I believe strongly when I pray, so the cancer doesn't have a chance, unless God has something very special he has kept for you.

God Bless My Friend,
susanep
Sjogren's, Lupus, Rheumatoid Arthritis, Hypothyroid, Fibro, Sleep Apnea, Diabetes 2, Asthma, and Gerd.  (Meds I take) Omeprazole, Pilocarpine, Levothyroxine, Effexor, Cpap, Aspirin, Mobic, Prilosec,, Xanax, Restasis, Systane,Vitamin D3, Plaquenil, Gabapentin, Provigil , Advair, Nasonex, and Proventi

Kathy57

• Primum non nocere - "First do no Harm"
« Reply #6 on: January 04, 2020, 10:14:49 PM »
Friends,

I have had a Moh?s procedure done on the upper part of my nose for squamous cell cancer and I?ve had a chunk of skin cancer removed from my right shoulder area.  Both required stitches and I wasn?t too happy with the scars.  Both areas had a running stitch and both of them loosened and broke leaving bigger healing gaps.

This was done by my dermatologist whom I will probably never let remove another one.  His running stitches must not be put in well because they have a habit of loosening and falling open after a few days,
I believe Sjogrens is causing my weird dry and red skin areas.  I agree that excellent moisturizing is a must and an ongoing battle with overly dry and sensitive skin.

This is a good reminder that I should probably make an appointment again to be screened for skin ca.

Happy new year and healthy new year to all!

Kathy
62 yr old female - Diagnosed Sjogrens Aug. 1st 2014.  Plaqinil, Evoxac, Prevacid, Lexapro, Hypothyroid, Esophagel Reflux, Gastritis, Barretts Esophagus, failed sinus surgery with 3 nasal septal perforations.  (Can't see it from the outside)  Asthma, albuterol, Dulera, Nebulizer, Osteoporosis.

irish

• Global Moderator
« Reply #7 on: January 04, 2020, 10:43:04 PM »
Sorry that you had the stitches that let go. There are some docs who can't stitch as well as others. My procedure was done on the bridge of my nose. I have a big bridge and I figured it was going to be an issue. The lesion had gotten bigger so I was happy when they sent me to a cern who has very advanced special training. His stitches and incision is beautiful and tiny little stitches. I figure I will have some stitches but they should lesson over the year. Supposed to use the vit E capsule and polk a needle into it and squeeze out the bit E to massage into the incision. I posted this to encourage people to use their sunscreen and to get their skin check. Thanks for posting. Irish

eye2dry

• Sjogrens, RA, hypothyroid
« Reply #8 on: January 05, 2020, 04:47:49 PM »
Hi all.

I was/am an LPN for over 22 years. The last 8 or so years I worked for a dermatologist, dermapathologist and
Board certified plastic surgeon. I worked in surgery with him for MOHS surgery mainly, I loved it. Seen a lot of
melanoma, squamous and basal.  Seen melanomas of the eye, sole of feet....basal cell on a buttock, squamous
cell on vulva...penis....etc

I have had several squamous and basal removed. Some with wider excision, some with MOHS. Per my derm and my rhuemie...isn't the autoimmune disease but the meds we take to tamp down our immune system to treat
Our sjogrens, RA, lupus,etc

We had several kidney transplant patients and a heart transplant pt  With awful skin cancers. The heart
Transplant pt. Had a squamous removed from his scalp and years later when he died, his surgery site still
hadnt healed/closed. He even had skin grafts to close it...still wouldn't close. Granulation tissue just couldn't
form. Yes, they use strong anti rejection meds for life.

I am of Irish English, German descent...so I am fair skin and blue eyed...fair game for skin cancer.

I just plain stay out of sun...and I hate that...I love the feel of the sun. I have lots of shade trees and that's where I stay. I still wear sunscreen.

Shelly
medications: synthroid- Cymbalta- plaquenil- lots of supplements

***Lord help me to be the person my dog thinks I am***

irish

• Global Moderator
« Reply #9 on: January 05, 2020, 09:17:08 PM »
Shelly, thanks for all that info. Brings it home. We always think that melanoma should be on skin that sees daylight. I am like you half Irish, 1/4 English and !/4 German and burned and freckled a lot in earlier years. I now do not like the sun. Find me a big tree by the lake and I am happy. Thanks again. Irish