Author Topic: Tooth problems - two will be pulled tomorrow. Dentures?  (Read 300 times)

eija

• Serious case of hum-disease!
Tooth problems - two will be pulled tomorrow. Dentures?
« on: November 24, 2019, 01:56:30 PM »

I've been MIA for a while now, haven't even been reading the forum. Thought I'd stop by now, with a burning issue:

I hate dentists. Even the need to call them makes me anxious and I keep postponing it. A funny fact: My grandpa was a dentist - a retired one but I still was totally afraid of him!

My teeth are starting to fall off, piece by piece. The last time I was at the dentist (too long ago already) less than a week after she put everything in order, my upper front tooth chipped. Then a bit after, an upper back tooth chipped, a while after that the same from the other side. Yay. Then a smaller chip from my front tooth came off. Now the back teeth started to give me grief and I managed to force myself to go get help - told them I won't have them fixed but want them off. Coudn't even get that done, before the next issue:

I was flossing the other night and the floss got stuck between my lower front teeth. Then I heard a "pling!", the floss got loose - and I saw a gap between my teeth. A piece had come off because of flossing!!!

I'm kinda nervous about tomorrow, but planning to go without my knock-off -medication, because I want to be alert enough to ask the dentist a few things. Sad thing is that he's one I've never been to before and probably won't go again (too complicated to explain). Somehow I need to make myself go to the city dentist...

The idea of dentures is scary and somehow makes me embarrassed. Also I'm worried about many issues between "now and then" - I need a long hybernation, during which someone does the work and when I wake up I'll have new shiny white teeth with no chippings and no pain!
« Last Edit: November 24, 2019, 04:10:50 PM by eija »
Female, 52, in Finland
Sjögren's, fibromyalgia, Hashimoto, depression, migraines, pressure urticaria, mild Raynaud's, MCS...
Cymbalta, Tyroxin, Oftagel drops

sixty

Re: Tooth problems - two will be pulled tomorrow
« Reply #1 on: November 24, 2019, 03:55:55 PM »
Eija, I feel the same way about going to the dentist.  I haven't been for about 10 years or more and I have periodontal disease along with Sjogrens.  My teeth suck!  I have horrible breath, dry mouth and one black tooth, a few loose ones, and I want them all pulled out also.  I too would like to wake up with it all done.  I just can't bring myself to go to the dentist to talk about my wants because they will try to talk me into saving my teeth by spending money on crowns, root canals, etc.  It's also incredibly embarrassing.  I think I just want dentures and be done with it but when most of the teeth are stable I don't think I could find a dentist to pull them.  I don't know.  Just by writing this I know how foolish I must sound and you're all thinking to just get my butt to the dentist to talk.  Thanks for listening.

Linda196

• Administrator
Re: Tooth problems - two will be pulled tomorrow. Dentures?
« Reply #2 on: November 25, 2019, 03:58:05 AM »
First, it's nice to see you again, Eija, it's been too long, but I'm sorry it's for such a pressing reason.

Secondly, I encourage both of you, and anyone else with this common fear of dentists, to talk to the dentist about it before they do any exam or work. I'm pretty sure they've run into it before, many times, and if they are at all good at their job, they will do what they can to put you at ease, and be prepared to pause, go slow, and explain anything they're about to do. It would also be good to try to have a conversation with the hygienist along the same lines, since, if you're dentist's office is run like mine, you will have more contact with them. Sixty, I know, sometimes even an appointment to talk is daunting, but hopefully you can meet a dentist with whom you can develop a good professional relationship. If necessary, meditation, self-hypnosis or medication can help.

Thirdly, try to work through your feelings about dentures. I felt the same many years ago, probably because both of my parents had full dentures and my Mother, in particular, was embarrassed by that fact. I've never had "good" teeth, and Sjogren's pretty much supplied the last factor. Over the years, I've lost a tooth or two at a time, and been wearing a partial denture since I was in my late twenties, working up to full, upper and lower, about 5 years ago (maybe a few more, I haven't really had to focus on my teeth for so long I've lost track). At first I was a bit self conscious, but to be honest, after a few comments about my "nice smile" and how I seemed to be showing it a lot more than i had been, I realized that my presentation with dentures was a lot more what I wanted it to be, than it had been trying to cover up bad teeth and enduring pain. To be honest, the first full lower denture did cause me a few issues when speaking, and since I'me involved in a couple of things that require public speaking, I had to work at that, but actually, the work and practice have improved my presentations!

Eija, I wish you well with your appointment, which is probably underway or over by now, and quick healing!

Please check out our home page at http://www.sjogrensworld.org/index.html {{INCLUDES A LINK TO AMAZON SHOPPING!!}}
; and live chat at https://kiwiirc.com/client/irc.dal.net/#SjogrensWorld

Scottietottie

• Global Moderator
« Reply #3 on: November 27, 2019, 07:53:18 AM »
Hi  :)

I had lousy teeth for a lot of years. I first asked a dentist to pull the lot when I was 21. he wouldn't. From that age until into my mid 60s my teeth were nothing but trouble. There were root canals, abscesses and a lot of pain. There were teeth that fell off fillings and eventually teeth that sheared off at gum level. There were partial dentures and a total fear of eating anything that may cause another tooth to break.

Finally - a dentist agreed to pull my remaining teeth. It's a decision I have never regretted. I now have full dentures - which took a little adjusting to - but Oh the joy of being able to eat ice cream without shooting pains - or candy without nerve pain also.

It's also nice to be able to smile without showing any blackened stumps. I wish a dentist had saved me many years of pain a long time ago!

Good luck with whatever you decide.

Take care - Scottie.   :D

http://sjogrensworld.org/   (our home page)
http://www.sjogrensworld.org/chats.htm   (find our chat times here!)
https://kiwiirc.com/client/irc.dal.net  (way to chat + nickname and #Sjogrensworld)

Never do tomorrow what you can put off till the day after tomorrow!

eija

• Serious case of hum-disease!
« Reply #4 on: November 28, 2019, 03:26:40 PM »
Oh my. Life never goes as expected, does it?

After what has been a hectic month and then some, this was supposed to be a semi-eventless week, only with the tooth pulling on Monday and then hairdresser on Thursday. Well, one tooth got pulled on Monday, with quite a lot of work. But it got out and it wasn't that horrible either. And the dentist and his assistants were brilliant, both of them.

Then early Tuesday morning hubster woke me up, looking like a corpse. He had fallen in the bathroom because of feeling so bad and hurt his back. I called an ambulance and after their visit I took him to the hospital, where he stayed until today. And they still don't know what was the issue that suddenly made him nauseous, raised infection markers and caused high fever and disturbed breathing. He's better now but it's kind of scary not to know.

So, my pulled tooth is still sore. Tomorrow, in twelve hours, they'll pull the other one. I'm kind of glad to go because then they can check if the other one is healing ok or is there some kind of a problem. I'm hoping not but not sure...

sixty, I'm really sorry for your toothproblems. I really can relate, I think. And yes the shame. And every time when the dentist starts the lecture about how to take care of your teet, I'm pretty much ready to give them a high five - with an open palm on the face. It's sooooooo humiliating and frustrating and makes me feel like a pre-schooler who gets scolded for someone else's pranks  >:(  I really hope you'll find a way to fix things, because the rotten teeth can cause really bad problems, too. And that's what I'm afraid of.

Linda and Scottie  :)
Thanks for your encouragement. I have talked to the dentists about my fear, but many of them don't really take it seriously. And even if they do, that doesn't really help. Becuse the only thing that would help, would be to knock me unconscious  ;D  And yes, that can be done, but it's expensive, so under normal Finnish health insurance they don't do that easily. And for dentures, I'm all for them, even though the thought of having them makes me feel ashamed. But so did getting my disability ( here it's called, word-to-word translation, sick retirement) but now I'm almost used to it. Even though I still don't like saying it outloud  ::)

And Scottie, yeah. It's totally torture what they put people through, because of trying to save a set of useless, rotten teeth! I too think it's plain wrong, even though one dentist said she'd be making a malpractice if she pulled the tooth that had chipped - again, like a zillionth time. Maybe now that my front teeth are chipped in a way that's pretty much impossible to fix, they'll give me covers or a partial or something for cosmetic reasons. I sure hope so! But first I have to find the courage and energy to march to the communal dentists, which is a horrible, horrible place  :-\

Female, 52, in Finland
Sjögren's, fibromyalgia, Hashimoto, depression, migraines, pressure urticaria, mild Raynaud's, MCS...
Cymbalta, Tyroxin, Oftagel drops

Deb 27

« Reply #5 on: Today at 05:05:21 PM »
Hi Eija, we miss you on Thursday chats but understand it's the middle of the night where you live...

How did the 2nd extraction go? I hope well. I had the extraction from he-- back in September. I think it hurt a nerve because I was in so very much pain.  The worst part was gone in 10 days but I had pain for 6 weeks after that. My PCP thought it was TMJ. I am glad it's gone now.  Things aren't simple with us and nobody understands except us.

Take care and good luck. I hope your hubby is better.
Sjogrens and RA,  Morphea (skin scleroderma), Hashimoto's, 
Nexium, synthroid, HRT, plaquenil,  Restasis, Maxi-tears supplement, L-glutathionne, CoQ10, folate, trintillex,  multi vitamin. lisinopril.