Author Topic: Plantar fasciitis Joint & muscular pain  (Read 329 times)

AnnetteM

Plantar fasciitis Joint & muscular pain
« on: November 21, 2019, 07:25:49 AM »
I?ve had SS for my whole life basically but was only diagnosed 2.5 years ago. I had early ?typical? symptoms such as: vulvadynia, dry eyes/mouth, then the joint/muscular pain. Wrist pain is what took me to a Rheumatologist and I had tested positive for RA. After xrays & more blood tests it was determined I had primary SS.

I?ve had plantar fasciitis about 15 years ago but recovered. The last year or so my feet started hurting again but I didn?t feel it was the same as before. I went to a podiatrist who recommended pt for the PF. I started in May. I have inserts for my shoes and yet the foot pain is still evident and relentless.

My question to you all is could this be from the sjogrens?

I?m at my wits end with this and my other pain. My rheumatologist has put me on plaquenil but when I went for X-rays for knee pains he told me to stop it since it won?t help with arthritis. However the xrays only showed very mild osteoarthritis. I had been on the medication for 4-8 weeks and did have diarrhea at first with it, which my dr hadn?t heard of as a side effect. So I stopped the meds when she recommended to do so, but I?ve read that the medication could have helped with my pain from sjogrens.

These drs are beyond frustrating with how little they appear to know about this syndrome.

I welcome as much input as possible!

irish

• Global Moderator
Re: Plantar fasciitis Joint & muscular pain
« Reply #1 on: November 21, 2019, 02:25:28 PM »
Sorry that you are feeling so lousy. It stinks doesn't it. First of all, the first thing that Plaquenil was prescribed for (it is an anti parasitic drug used for malaria...and found that when given for the malaria any RA pain, suffering etc was improving in the patient. The pLaquenil was then started being given for patients with the RA and then to patients with other autoimmune diseases cause it relieved the aches and pain and swelling. It also helps some with the fatigue. It is not an immunosuppressant drug.

The Plaquenil may help with some of the symptoms but sometimes a person has to do a short course of steroids first. This use of steroids is done frequently. The doc will prescribe the Plaquenil along with a tapering dose of steroids over several months. The taper off the steroids and see how it goes with the Plaquenil. If the pain, etc starts in again the steroids are restarted again for some weeks. Realize that it takes Plaquneil usually 4-6 months or so to kick in so it takes time to get this plan going.

Also, the drug of choice for treatment of Sjogrens is Plaquenil and for some reason so many doctors don't believe this or are scared of the drug. We need to have a pre eye exam prior to starting the Plaquenil and have eye exams as prescribed by eye doc thereafter. There is a certain eye issue that needs to be watched for but it is rare. One thing about the drug is that we take a low dose for Sjogrens....400 mgm a day. People who have malaria and other issues have to take much higher dosages and that is where the eyes have issues at times. There are some people who will have some problems at times (on lower doses) but by having eyes checked routinely these problems are found early.

Another thing that I will mention is that with Sjogrens a person can have tendon inflammation., I had pain on the inner aspect of my left foot and down across the top of my foot a couple years ago. It was terrible and I could hardly walk for months. I was given a special bandage by rehab and it helped but not enough. Finally I saw my neurologist and she said "for crying out loud you have tendonitis" and gave me 4 weeks of taper dose prednisone and I was cured. That darned foot almost ruined a whole year of my life!!!

It helps to mention things that you might be concerned about on this site cause we have so many people with so many different issues who need so many treatments. Take care. Good luck. Irish
« Last Edit: November 22, 2019, 09:33:59 AM by irish »

brizzo

« Reply #2 on: November 22, 2019, 08:34:52 AM »
I'm very early in my process but I have to note that I was diagnoses with P/F about 6 or so years ago and I was able to control it with stretching and orthotics. However, recently, as this "thing" progresses, it is coming back with a vengeance. My tendons are taking a beating as well. I thought it was over-training. They have been fraying and wearing out for years. I don't know if that helps you at all but I wanted to let you know that others are experiencing some of the same things.

B.

Jenny

« Reply #3 on: November 24, 2019, 05:03:28 AM »
I have Primary Sjogren?s and often have tendonitis. I have had Plantar Fasciitis many times, often for months. I started wearing Vionics shoes about 5 years ago and haven?t had it since. Luckily I live in Florida and they have a lot of cute sandals.
63 year old female with back, shoulder, neck and knee pain, dry mouth, losing teeth, dry sinuses,Blood test positive for Sjogrens. Fibromyalgia, Osteoarthritis .
Maloxicam, Lisinopril, Norco, misc.vitamins
4 discs in low back fused. Shoulder replaced 2015 & 2017 Need knee replaced.
4 hand surgeries

irish

• Global Moderator
« Reply #4 on: November 24, 2019, 03:09:51 PM »
I have had the plantar Fasiculitis at times over the years and found that if I lie in bed with my heels off the edge of the bottom of my bed and sort of gently pull my toes so they point toward the ceiling...….this really did help me improve my feet issues. Thanks. irish

jazzlover

« Reply #5 on: November 27, 2019, 03:43:51 PM »
Foot issues are AWFUL!!

For two years (7 yrs ago) I could barely walk. I had to be pushed in a wheelchair in order to do ANY shopping. (AT that time, I was dxd with PF .. but never really fit the criteria. I did go to two rounds of therapy but it didn't help) Also tried numerous shots.

I finally got back on track once I found a good pair of custom made orthotics. I went through 8 pair before finding some that gave me any relief.

Now, my left foot has arthritis and my right one has swelling right below my big toe and the second toe on the bottom of my foot. For about two weeks it was like walking on a golf ball.

So .. my only recourse is to take meds .. which I can't take. So I am taking my three times a day curcumin and trying to make do. At least it is somewhat better than two weeks ago and I'm walking again more easily.

Did you have an MRI?

PS .. Once I reduced my intake of oxalates and salicylates, things got better. So I don't know FOR SURE what enabled me to walk again.
« Last Edit: November 27, 2019, 03:57:19 PM by jazzlover »
Mast Cell Activation Syndrome (MCAS), Salicylate Sensitivity,  Interstitial Cystitis,  gluten intolerance, Raynaud's, Sjogren's, A-fib; cytomegalovirus, recovered from Lyme disease

Deb 27

« Reply #6 on: November 27, 2019, 04:15:54 PM »
HI Annette, sorry you have Sjogrens.....I went through a similar course and was diagnosed with seronegative RA first, and Sjogrens a few years later. I've had plantar fasciitis a lot in my life that wearing clones helped. Now, I seem to get flare up with achilles tendonitis, which is horrible.

It takes from 3-6 months to know if plaquenil is working for you. It's very subtle.  You do have to get specialized eye tests, called visual field testing and a dilated eye exam to check the retinas.

Best of luck to you!!!!

Take care!
Sjogrens and RA,  Morphea (skin scleroderma), Hashimoto's, 
Nexium, synthroid, HRT, plaquenil,  Restasis, Maxi-tears supplement, L-glutathionne, CoQ10, folate, trintillex,  multi vitamin. lisinopril.