Author Topic: From patient to caregiver! Yikes!  (Read 395 times)

Deb 27

From patient to caregiver! Yikes!
« on: November 11, 2019, 07:12:55 AM »
So, after being the patient for two years from having a torn meniscus in each knee, I now have to be the caregiver for my husband! He was working on the water heater in the attic and fell through the floor, tearing a tendon that goes from his thigh muscle to his knee!!!! So, he'll be out of commission for quite a while. We see an orthopedic doc on Friday.

I am worried about how I am going to keep up. I don't think I've even had to take out trash in the 16 years we've been married!!!!

The good news is that my last torn meniscus is doing ok right now and I can do what I need to do.
Sjogrens and RA,  Morphea (skin scleroderma), Hashimoto's, 
Nexium, synthroid, HRT, plaquenil,  Restasis, Maxi-tears supplement, L-glutathionne, CoQ10, folate, trintillex,  multi vitamin. lisinopril.

SjoGirl

Re: From patient to caregiver! Yikes!
« Reply #1 on: November 11, 2019, 09:52:39 AM »
Deb, That deserves an OMG! I'm glad he's not worse but this does sound aweful.

My husband had not been traveling for years and did a great deal around the house. I was surprised when he started going away again at what I could accomplish. I just have to be careful and pace myself.

Good luck to both of you!
Raynauds, sero-negative RA, Primary SjS, osteopenia, degenerative disc disease, disc protrusions,stenosis, Carpal tunnel,  poly neuropathy, myoclonus, hiatal hernia, esophagitis, viral infection, Leukopenia. Restasis, Vitamin D, B12, Evoxac, Lanzoprezole, calcium acetaminophen.

irish

• Global Moderator
« Reply #2 on: November 11, 2019, 12:28:36 PM »
Im sorry to hear about this accident. I bet that is painful.....or will be if surgery is needed.

You will learn to do what needs to be done. My hubby traveled much of our married life and when he was home he was outside fixing things and at our boys helping build houses, garages, etc. I didn't grow up doing anything much outside but I sure learned in a hurry. Also learned a lot from my hubby and learned to know what to do or who to call when appliances didn't work, well didn't work.
, etc you name it. Now that hubby is gone and I am not able to do much I sure miss the work and challenge of running a house, garden, etc. Back then it was work, now I would give my right arm to be able to do it again. Please take care.

Now days you can google a lot of things plus you have hubby there so you can ask questions. The hard part will be keeping hubby down and not over doing. Irish
« Last Edit: November 14, 2019, 10:12:55 PM by irish »

susanep

• Each Day Is A Miracle !
« Reply #3 on: November 14, 2019, 03:25:33 PM »
I hope your hubby heals quickly. Those tendons can be so painful. You will do fine.

susanep
Sjogren's, Lupus, Rheumatoid Arthritis, Hypothyroid, Fibro, Sleep Apnea, Diabetes 2, Asthma, and Gerd.  (Meds I take) Omeprazole, Pilocarpine, Levothyroxine, Effexor, Cpap, Aspirin, Mobic, Prilosec,, Xanax, Restasis, Systane,Vitamin D3, Plaquenil, Gabapentin, Provigil , Advair, Nasonex, and Proventi

Deb 27

« Reply #4 on: November 16, 2019, 11:36:46 AM »
I know what you mean Irish. I could do so much more when I was younger.......

You were right Sjogirl and Susanep!!!  I am surprising myself. It's surprising sometimes how much our spouse does until we have to do it.

Thank you all for the support. I just needed to vent to someone who understands!!!! It was a crazy week!! Lots of appointments and testing for his surgery but we both held up. I was limping around with my bad knees and achilles tendonitis and he was on crutches....

I am lucky that he is usually a fast healer and has a high pain threshold. We didn't leave the hospital until 10 pm last night! I don't know why hospitals do that anymore. It's so hard on the patients and families.
Sjogrens and RA,  Morphea (skin scleroderma), Hashimoto's, 
Nexium, synthroid, HRT, plaquenil,  Restasis, Maxi-tears supplement, L-glutathionne, CoQ10, folate, trintillex,  multi vitamin. lisinopril.