Author Topic: hormones?  (Read 260 times)

Confused

hormones?
« on: November 06, 2019, 06:36:18 PM »
I saw a doc who said as you age your hair thins and other things go wrong because of the hormone loss.  Now I have no thyroid so have the thyroid med set and it is always the same and had a hysterectomy and have always been on the same patch ever since.  Evidently there are other hormones.  I never think fast in a docs office, in fact I tend to shut down so think later.
Are any of you familiar as to what hormones she would be talking about?  This took me by surprise but probably as I am always fighting other things it is just one more addition to what I don't know.
Thanks

irish

• Global Moderator
Re: hormones?
« Reply #1 on: November 06, 2019, 10:53:37 PM »
When it comes to thyroid replacement you are probably doing the right thing.
 doing the right thing.

I have hypothyroid disease and Hashimotos autoimmune thyroid disease and have been ono thyroid replacement since 1989. Have to have the TSH checked every 6 months and things are stable for now. There are times when I have had to have TSH every 6 weeks or so and had to have my replacement med dose increased and decreased often.

I have also had a hysterectomy in 1990 and went on the Premarin 0.625 mgm the day after surgery. I took that until well into my 60's when there was such a to do about premarin effects. I had my ovaries out also and have not taken any premarin since I was in my 60's until my doc put me on the Estace vaginal cream about a year ago.

With all this being said, I didn't worry about the premarin much as I didn't have bad symptoms from loss of the ovaries. But, the, I am sort of plump and estrogen is known to hang out in women's fatty tissues so I guess I thought I was ahead of the game. There are some foods that contain estrogen also and I think that soybeans are one that does. So if one eats tofu that will help. It is sort of hard to keep track of the amount that our body gets from food.

I have not seen much lately on replacement in older women's bodies and I guess if one of our many doctors or all of them haven't addressed this we can ask them. I would think that the Vit D and possibly the Vit B12 blood testing should be done. Also, blood work for low hemg is something that should be considered also. I have had all these done and have hemoglobin done every 3 months due to history of anemia. And last but not least the blood work to test for osteoporosis.

There is only so much they can do as far as supplements because a lot of this depends on our heredity and family history plus our diet and exercise. Be nice if there was a pill that would solve everything but not so far. Generally we can only take a certain amount of premarin every day as too much can get us in trouble causing more problems for us. I'm sure you will have more info on this subject, which is good. I am always ready to learn more. Thanks. Irish

Linda196

• Administrator
« Reply #2 on: November 07, 2019, 02:41:06 AM »
When you say your thyroid is always the same, do you mean your replacement dose or your level?

In a "healthy" person, all hormones change continuously, so it's important, when taking replacement, to have the levels checked, as Irish mentioned. Additionally, hormones work together in a complicated balancing act, when one increases, another declines, so if you have a constant level of replacement, and a naturally produced hormone from a different gland is either over or under producing the balance can't be maintained by the one that is being constantly replaced at the same dose. Naturally, you wouldn't expect frequent dose changes, but at least every 6 months, levels should be checked to see if the replacement is still at the best level.

I had a total thyroidectomy 50 years ago, and for the first 8 years my replacement dose changed dramatically several times, and while I was pregnant, I never required replacement! Apparently a fetus can provide thyroid hormone during pregnancy! Who knew? LOL

For the following 35 or so years, it never needed adjustment, but in the last 6 or 7, it's been adjusted a couple of times, One interesting cause was an increase in my Vitamin D3 intake, D3 being a hormone, and affecting the balance I mentioned. Other changes came about as a result of "the change" and shifts in levels of reproductive hormones. I was able to avoid hormone replacement therapy during and after menopause, so didn't add to the shifting imbalance in that way, and the only adjustments I had to make were thyroid, but the same cautions apply to reproductive hormone replacement therapy.
Please check out our home page at http://www.sjogrensworld.org/index.html {{INCLUDES A LINK TO AMAZON SHOPPING!!}}
; and live chat at https://kiwiirc.com/client/irc.dal.net/#SjogrensWorld

Maria3667

• Cultivating a 'dry' sense of humor.
« Reply #3 on: November 07, 2019, 03:07:37 PM »
For the following 35 or so years, it never needed adjustment, but in the last 6 or 7, it's been adjusted a couple of times, One interesting cause was an increase in my Vitamin D3 intake, D3 being a hormone, and affecting the balance I mentioned.

Wow Linda! This fits me to a tee. Last March my D3-level was too low (33 nmol), so I started supplementing but my body did not react well to high dosages. So I cut back to only 5 mcg (200 IU). To my surprise, testing late September showed D3 had suddenly jumped to above average (90 nmol). Besides that, my TSH was almost immeasurably high! So I've totally quit Levothyroxine; new results should come in next week.

But the biggest surprise is how much D3 has affected me mentally. I FEEL SO MUCH BETTER! I've been battling depression & anxiety for more than 3 decades and now it feels like it was all in vain? Nobody ever bothered to check D3, until I opted it myself when I was hit by a painfully frozen shoulder. Well guess what, that nuisance is suddenly healed too!

Maybe I experience life different too because of menopause, who's to say?
So yes, talk about the 'power of hormones'!
52. DES-daughter ('67), Lyme's ('98), GAD ('98), Sjogren's ('02), hypothyroid ('04), endometriosis ('14), osteoarthritis ('16), blepharitis ('18), frozen shoulder ('19). Meds: pilocarpine, thyroid meds, 25mg quetiapine, 1% testosterone. Allergies: nickle, methylisothiazolinone, latex

irish

• Global Moderator
« Reply #4 on: November 07, 2019, 04:46:46 PM »
Im assuming that your D3 and thyroid levels are being watched over by your doctor and that you aren't taking these meds and adjusting them by the way you feel. That is a good way to get in trouble. The thyroid gland is related to all the hormones in the body and these hormones are fine tuned. It should also be noted that some meds can change the way you absorb thyroid supplement.

Years ago when I was on 8 antibiotics a day for a mycobacterium kansasii infection I got so anxious and hyper. It was beyond terrible. I would go outside and walk around the barn and outbuildings and just cry. The good thing was my infections disease doc had warned me this might happen as I was on an antibiotic called rifamipin and it was notorious for causing the change in the TSH. My TSH was only 14.8 but I can't take a high number. She also had me go in and have blood tests and biopsy of a skin rash I had developed on my lower thigh. She was concerned that I might also have an allergic reaction to the  Rifampin...which I did also. Amazing how so many things can get involved with keeping our meds in sync. Irish

Confused

« Reply #5 on: November 09, 2019, 09:19:28 PM »
I am sorry as I didn't really explain things well.  I had a hysterectomy and and woke up with the estrogen patch on and have used a patch since then. Two months later I had to have  my thyroid removed.  My TSH is always run because I am always so cold.  I have not had to have either dosage change.
I think that was why I was so suprised to hear the doctor indicate that the hormones could be causing me some trouble.
Something is always popping up and it is always something I had never heard of.

It is always something and generally is something I had no idea of and have no idea what I am supposed to do.

Sp thank you all for the help .  It is hard enough to try to make sense of things if you are feeling somewhat ok but when I am not doing well it is really hard fore me to understand much of anything.