Author Topic: Improved dryness when Sick  (Read 205 times)

markt

Improved dryness when Sick
« on: November 04, 2019, 11:52:06 AM »
Here is a weird observation that I have made (keep in mind... it is totally subjective).

When I have an active infection, it seems as if my oral dryness is markedly improved.  Even at night.

For the life of me I cannot figure out why.  Also, the opportunistic bacterial overgrowth or yellow coated tongue that I sometimes get goes right way and my oral health is much improved when I am sick with "something else."  Possibly because I have an active immune system and the immunoglobulins and protiens secereted in my saliva change in a way for the better (that is impaired by Sjogrens).

I have a theory that Sjogrens eases because other immune pathways become active and take precedent for a period of time.  (This is in tune with why oral Interferon-A therapy was used/evaluated in Sjogrens trials... e.g. using the medication to elevate certain immune pathways via increased IFN signaling with oral lozenges).

Just wondering if any of you have experienced this, and what your various MDs may think.

Mark

Sharon

Re: Improved dryness when Sick
« Reply #1 on: November 04, 2019, 02:47:16 PM »
Yes, I have definitely noticed a similar pattern:
I feel at my very best (close to normal in every respect) right before I realize I have been infected with a virus.
My theory is that the immune sytem is distracted and focuses its attack elsewhere.
It begins seeking out and attacking the virus or bacteria instead of its own tissues.
This is the same theory that helminth therapy is based on.

BTW- Interferon-A made me flare something awful, precisely because it activated my immune system, and not selectively.
Sjogren's (+ RA): positive ANA, RNP, RNP-A, APCA. Severe eye dryness + inflammation, multiple sensitivities and allergic reactions, fatigue. 
ORENCIA, Restasis, Anti-inflammatory diet, Vit. D & C, Ubiquinol 100mg, Omega 3....

Kathy57

• Primum non nocere - "First do no Harm"
« Reply #2 on: November 05, 2019, 09:45:12 AM »
Hello fellow sufferers,

I wish I could answer in the affirmative but I can not.  When I get sick with anything, it seems to trigger flare symptoms in me.  I dread even getting a cold because it usually turns into much worse.

I find the concept of helminth therapy interesting.  If I had the courage, I might even try it but it just sounds out there.

Kathy
Diagnosed Sjogrens Aug. 1st 2014.  Plaqinil, Evoxac, Prevacid, Lexapro, Hypothyroid, Esophagel Reflux, Gastritis, Barretts Esophagus, failed sinus surgery with 3 nasal septal perforations.  (Can't see it from the outside)  Asthma, albuterol, Dulera, Nebulizer, Osteoporosis.

Sharon

« Reply #3 on: November 06, 2019, 10:54:42 AM »
Kathy- When a virus sets in it also triggers a full-body flare in me, but it is the period of time when the system is just recognizing the virus and planning its attack (a day or two before it hits full-force) when AI symptoms improve for me. I don't have the courage to try helminth therapy either, but WhatYouSjo from this forum has been using it successfully.
Sjogren's (+ RA): positive ANA, RNP, RNP-A, APCA. Severe eye dryness + inflammation, multiple sensitivities and allergic reactions, fatigue. 
ORENCIA, Restasis, Anti-inflammatory diet, Vit. D & C, Ubiquinol 100mg, Omega 3....