Author Topic: Great news - It's not RA it's OA!  (Read 710 times)

SjoGirl

Great news - It's not RA it's OA!
« on: October 25, 2019, 07:31:01 AM »
For those who had been following I had sonograms repeated on my hands this week. The good news is there are no erosions so I don't have RA or erosive OA. I have OA!

Now I'm still in pain and my hands are swollen, so I can either up my Imuran or take Medrol for a bit. I think I'll try the Imuran increase if it does not work then I'll try the Medrol.

It's wonderful to NOT have something, isn't it???
Raynauds, sero-negative RA, Primary SjS, osteopenia, degenerative disc disease, disc protrusions,stenosis, Carpal tunnel,  poly neuropathy, myoclonus, hiatal hernia, esophagitis, viral infection, Leukopenia. Restasis, Vitamin D, B12, Evoxac, Lanzoprezole, calcium acetaminophen.

Skylar

Re: Great news - It's not RA it's OA!
« Reply #1 on: October 25, 2019, 04:10:23 PM »
It feels weird congratulating someone for being diagnosed with OA  :P ;D ;)

Congratulations for not being diagnosed with RA. Hope you get the pain under control.

Kathy57

• Primum non nocere - "First do no Harm"
« Reply #2 on: October 25, 2019, 10:26:44 PM »
Sjogirl,

Congrats on not having RA🤗.  I have OA, too, but mine is not too bad.  I can live with it.  I hope upping your Immuran works for you.

Kathy
Diagnosed Sjogrens Aug. 1st 2014.  Plaqinil, Evoxac, Prevacid, Lexapro, Hypothyroid, Esophagel Reflux, Gastritis, Barretts Esophagus, failed sinus surgery with 3 nasal septal perforations.  (Can't see it from the outside)  Asthma, albuterol, Dulera, Nebulizer, Osteoporosis.

Maria3667

• Cultivating a 'dry' sense of humor.
« Reply #3 on: October 26, 2019, 05:51:08 AM »
Yes, feels weird to congratulate you on having OA... but at least you don't have RA or erosive RA !

My OA is very painful, but can be managed with 'Green Lipped Mussels extract', which really helps. Only side effect is weight gain (as usual).
52. DES-daughter ('67), Lyme's ('98), GAD ('98), Sjogren's ('02), hypothyroid ('04), endometriosis ('14), osteoarthritis ('16), blepharitis ('18), frozen shoulder ('19). Meds: pilocarpine, thyroid meds, 25mg quetiapine, 1% testosterone. Allergies: nickle, methylisothiazolinone, latex

Carolina

• —if it ain't one thing, it's another." Roseanne R.
« Reply #4 on: October 26, 2019, 07:04:08 AM »
Dear SjoGirl,

I went through the same process over 10 years ago, and I had the same diagnoses.
I'm not sure that it's 'great news' when 'it's just OA'.

For me OA just rages on with no treatment except NSAIDS (which I cannot take).  Medrol helps, but I can't take Medrol enough for long enough to get real relief since my Immunologist is very cautious when it comes to Medrol.

My hands are severely deformed and it just keeps progressing.  The pain is often unbearable, especially during a flare.  I cannot close my right hand at all.

By the way, SjoGirl, I checked out Imuran, and it's interesting because Imuran is used to treat severe rheumatoid arthritis.

"Azathioprine is the generic form of the brand-name drug Imuran, which is used along with other medicines to prevent organ rejection after a kidney transplant. The drug is also used to treat severe rheumatoid arthritis, psoriasis, ulcerative colitis, and Crohn's disease."

I learn so much here.

Best wishes, Elaine

Female-Elaine,76-CVID-pSJS-IC-PN-CAD-Osteoarthritis-COPD-SFN-Knee/Shoulder Degeneration-SIBO-Intertrigo-Act.Purpura-Anemia-Copper Def-Raynaud's-Meniere's-Hiatal Hernia-Achalasia-IVIG Gamunex-Medrol-Gabapentin-Atenolol-Pilocarpine-LDN-Nasonex-Lipitor-Estrogel-B-12-Iron-D-Mannose-NAC-Co-Q10-D3-Omega 3

SjoGirl

« Reply #5 on: October 26, 2019, 11:36:37 AM »
Hi all,

Thanks. Yes, saying just OA does seem odd. It's not that it's not painful and in a way a bit debilitating.  My hands ache if not outright hurt and I can barely bend my left finger. I can't wear my wedding ring anymore except sometimes on my right hand, which I feel bad about but my husband understands.

I frankly was surprised when she suggested continuing the Imuran with this diagnosis, but she is also sticking with me having Sjogrens so I think is using that to justify the drug. As we all know, it's frankly difficult if not impossible to say exactly what is causing what and the AIs may all be playing into or feeding each other. I do plan to ask though if that is why she is continuing it.

Elaine I can't take NSAIDS either that's why I had Celebrex to take for pain. I did taper off of it and may need to restart but it makes me a bit ditzy and I need to work so have to take care with it.

The good news for all of us who have OA in addition to SjS is that there is more focus on OA these days and its impact on the quality of life. Maybe the fact that there are so many Boomers with it is spurring research and discussion since we can't all have every joint replaced, it will cost a fortune!

Thanks again everyone, if I have to be on this journey you are people I am happy to be traveling with.
Raynauds, sero-negative RA, Primary SjS, osteopenia, degenerative disc disease, disc protrusions,stenosis, Carpal tunnel,  poly neuropathy, myoclonus, hiatal hernia, esophagitis, viral infection, Leukopenia. Restasis, Vitamin D, B12, Evoxac, Lanzoprezole, calcium acetaminophen.

Linda196

• Administrator
« Reply #6 on: October 27, 2019, 02:14:09 AM »
My rheumy doesn't even suggest  NSAIDS for OA, his go-to is extended release acetaminophen, which I've found to be very helpful, as long as I take it regularly. Unfortunately I have a combination of OA and inflammatory polyarthritis, so there are times the ec-ecet doesn't touch the pain, and I have to go to the NSAIDS for the inflammation. Sometimes, if an inflammation flare is extended, I wind up on an alternating regime of Acet and NSAID.

I remember many years ago, when I was being worked up for non-Hodgkin's lymphoma, results of the 4th biopsy finally came back, and my doc, told me (with a hug) that it was "only" Sarcoidosis, assuming, I suppose, that it would follow the more common 18 month course and burn out. 40 some odd years later it's still and issue! I guess "only" is a matter of perspective or comparison LOL
Please check out our home page at http://www.sjogrensworld.org/index.html {{INCLUDES A LINK TO AMAZON SHOPPING!!}}
; and live chat at https://kiwiirc.com/client/irc.dal.net/#SjogrensWorld

SjoGirl

« Reply #7 on: October 27, 2019, 06:09:41 AM »
Linda, Thanks for sharing your story, it's helpful to hear. I take acetaminophen and if that is not enough Celebrex and I've learned to live with a level of pain that is sometimes annoying but not nearly as often debilitating like it was when this all started.

Linda196

• Administrator
« Reply #8 on: October 27, 2019, 06:17:28 PM »
I found a remarkable difference in the efficacy of regular Acetaminophen and the extended release version, so if you are using regular or even extra strength Acet, it may be helpful to seek out the exteneded release ones, usually marketed as specific for arthritis.
Please check out our home page at http://www.sjogrensworld.org/index.html {{INCLUDES A LINK TO AMAZON SHOPPING!!}}
; and live chat at https://kiwiirc.com/client/irc.dal.net/#SjogrensWorld

Sharon

« Reply #9 on: October 28, 2019, 02:55:26 PM »
Sjogirl- Happy for you, but are there necessarily erosions at the beginning stages of RA?
Seems to me many of these examinations are open to interpretation.
I got the RA diagnosis based on "arthritic changes" that showed up on X-rays.
I was glad to get the diagnosis as it opened up new treatment options for me,
 mainly Orencia which has saved my joints and helped with many SS symptoms as well. 
Sjogren's (+ RA): positive ANA, RNP, RNP-A, APCA. Severe eye dryness + inflammation, multiple sensitivities and allergic reactions, fatigue. 
ORENCIA, Restasis, Anti-inflammatory diet, Vit. D & C, Ubiquinol 100mg, Omega 3....

Tharrell

• There has to be humor in this somewhere!
« Reply #10 on: October 30, 2019, 11:05:55 AM »
My orthopedist also says I have OA, but I have a seronegative ra diagnosis. I find it interesting that when I switched from Orencia to Enbrel shots all joint pain disappeared  after the second shot! I wish my rheumatologist had listened to me before I had to replace both hips which were endstage, but at least I have a chance of saving my knees which are moderate to severe arthritis.
MCTD, sjogren's,dRTA,CVID, sero neg. ra,achalasia,Morvan’s syndrome,familial dysautonomia,POTS, MCI, IC. Occular neuromyotonia migraines,raynauds,B6,Florinef, propanolol,sodium bicarb, plaquenil,requip,B2,topiramate, synthroid,diazepam,trulance,enbrel,cevimeline,
arava,omeprazole, mexiletin

SjoGirl

« Reply #11 on: October 30, 2019, 01:25:50 PM »
Thanks to those who recently posted. I am sure that erosions don't show up on RA for a while (I've read A LOT about it).

I am in pain pretty much every day and was not before, though I was taking Celebrex every day. Celebrex makes me a bit ditzy and Tylenol seems to be working again, I just need to be more consistent with it. I tried the time-release Tylenol they didn't seem to do much.

I am  starting a 25-day Medrol pack next week. I am frankly still not sure why she is then suggesting upping Imuran since she does not think this is RA. I plan to ask about that again via online messaging.

I do appreciate the comments, you are helpful as I work through all of this. One thing is for sure, whether RA or OA and SjS it's no picnic!

Sharon

« Reply #12 on: October 30, 2019, 03:12:19 PM »
True SjoGirl, it's definitely "no picnic"!
For the pain I would also look into MM which can give much relief if it is legal in your area.
Sjogren's (+ RA): positive ANA, RNP, RNP-A, APCA. Severe eye dryness + inflammation, multiple sensitivities and allergic reactions, fatigue. 
ORENCIA, Restasis, Anti-inflammatory diet, Vit. D & C, Ubiquinol 100mg, Omega 3....

SjoGirl

« Reply #13 on: October 31, 2019, 01:06:01 PM »
Sharon MM?

So the treatment conundrum continues. I asked my rheumy why continue and up the Imuran, is it because the swelling and pain might be SJS related? She said yes then mentioned RA again (after telling me that I don't have RA). Oi!

Sharon

« Reply #14 on: October 31, 2019, 02:32:16 PM »
MM= medical marijuana