Author Topic: Tongue Ulcer  (Read 945 times)

susanep

• Each Day Is A Miracle !
Tongue Ulcer
« on: October 12, 2019, 12:17:44 PM »
Hi  Everyone,
I am getting a bit concerned about an ulcer on the side of my tongue. I have had ulcers in mouth before, but they always went away. This is very painful. Any ideas?

Thank you!
susanep
Sjogren's, Lupus, Rheumatoid Arthritis, Hypothyroid, Fibro, Sleep Apnea, Diabetes 2, Asthma, and Gerd.  (Meds I take) Omeprazole, Pilocarpine, Levothyroxine, Effexor, Cpap, Aspirin, Mobic, Prilosec,, Xanax, Restasis, Systane,Vitamin D3, Plaquenil, Gabapentin, Provigil , Advair, Nasonex, and Proventi

sixty

Re: Tongue Ulcer
« Reply #1 on: October 12, 2019, 10:19:56 PM »
I've never had an ulcer in my tongue, but I've has sores that went away quickly.  I would rinse with hydrogen peroxide & water.  Call your dentist if it persists.

bdnews2

« Reply #2 on: October 13, 2019, 05:38:05 AM »
I use a salt water gargle 4-5 times a day.  stay away from acidic foods and carbonation.
Marie

susanep

« Reply #3 on: October 13, 2019, 06:47:00 AM »
Thank you so much for your reply's. I will certainly give those a try.

susanep :)
Sjogren's, Lupus, Rheumatoid Arthritis, Hypothyroid, Fibro, Sleep Apnea, Diabetes 2, Asthma, and Gerd.  (Meds I take) Omeprazole, Pilocarpine, Levothyroxine, Effexor, Cpap, Aspirin, Mobic, Prilosec,, Xanax, Restasis, Systane,Vitamin D3, Plaquenil, Gabapentin, Provigil , Advair, Nasonex, and Proventi

irish

• Global Moderator
« Reply #4 on: October 13, 2019, 02:59:49 PM »
People with lupus often have these sores as do people with Sjogrens and other autoimmune diseases. All the suggestions are good. I am wondering if there is a new med, maybe even OTC that would help. Might even call your pharmacist. Good luck. Irish

susanep

« Reply #5 on: October 13, 2019, 05:57:47 PM »
Thanks everyone!
Hi irish..
susanep

SunshineDaydream

« Reply #6 on: October 13, 2019, 06:45:47 PM »
If it's a regular canker sore, I recommend OTC Kanka. I apply before going to bed and the sore is usually gone by the time I wake up in the morning. A home treatment is applying a damp plain tea bag (like Lipton) against the sore for about 5 minutes.

For something more severe, there's Magic Mouthwash by prescription or some people make their own based on recipes found online.

A preventative measure is to use toothpaste that does not contain sodium lauryl sulfate.

Best of luck to you. They are painful nuisances.
Sjogren's, lupus, OAB and osteopenia
Rx: Evoxac and Myrbetriq
Vitamins and Supplements: A, B complex, C, D3, E, calcium orotate, magnesium glycinate, D-Mannose, curcumin, fish oil, probiotic

Skylar

« Reply #7 on: October 13, 2019, 07:19:15 PM »
If it's a regular canker sore, I recommend OTC Kanka. I apply before going to bed and the sore is usually gone by the time I wake up in the morning. A home treatment is applying a damp plain tea bag (like Lipton) against the sore for about 5 minutes.

For something more severe, there's Magic Mouthwash by prescription or some people make their own based on recipes found online.

A preventative measure is to use toothpaste that does not contain sodium lauryl sulfate.

Best of luck to you. They are painful nuisances.
I agree - see if your doctor can prescribe Magic Mouthwash. Mine was compounded at a local pharmacy. The pharmacist can add what you need - mine was based on Peptol Bismal which helps coat my mouth temporarily to which was added lidocaine as a local anesthetic and a corticosteroid to reduce inflammation. It can be customized to what you need and helps soothe and treat your ulcer. They can add antibiotics or antifungal and antihistamines etc.

I also agree with looking for a toothpaste without sodium lauryl sulfate. I also can't tolerate fluoride in my toothpaste - both are extremely irritating ingredients. I do get fluoride in my drinking water as I drink tap water. If you drink bottled/filtered water without fluoride, you can buy it OTC.

Hope it heals quickly, they can be very painful.

Kathy57

• Primum non nocere - "First do no Harm"
« Reply #8 on: October 13, 2019, 08:42:19 PM »
Hello Sjoggie friends,

I take L-Lysine and B-12 tablets when I get sore tongue or mouth sores.  It does seem to help the mouth heal fast.  I actually read this here some years ago and I really do think it works.

I have a bottle of each that I keep in my cupboard.  I might use it once or twice per year.  I can?t remember who posted this but I thought it was good advice.  Also, if I rinse with a listerine type mouthwash it seems to numb the pain.  It hurts to rinse at first but then it numbs the sore parts.

These can be so irritating! 

Kathy
62 yr old female - Diagnosed Sjogrens Aug. 1st 2014.  Plaqinil, Evoxac, Prevacid, Lexapro, Hypothyroid, Esophagel Reflux, Gastritis, Barretts Esophagus, failed sinus surgery with 3 nasal septal perforations.  (Can't see it from the outside)  Asthma, albuterol, Dulera, Nebulizer, Osteoporosis.

susanep

« Reply #9 on: October 14, 2019, 09:32:45 AM »
Thanks Everyone,
You have so many good ideas.
susanep :)