Author Topic: New finding: Rebamipide may treat SS  (Read 245 times)

Sharon

New finding: Rebamipide may treat SS
« on: October 09, 2019, 10:57:16 AM »
A new study has found that Rebamipide, a gastroprotective medication:
"may slow the progression of Sjögren’s syndrome by increasing the number of regulatory B- and T-cells and reducing the production of inflammatory molecules in the salivary glands and spleen, according to research in a mouse model of the disease."

https://sjogrenssyndromenews.com/2019/10/01/rebamipide-may-ease-sjogrens-dryness-via-immune-cell-regulation-study-suggests/?fbclid=IwAR20n4yTXi2eMm0vLYDQsYISLwBRvxd8TAQKDyWObJOG4bNYMNb1JBC77Jw

https://www.sciencedirect.com/science/article/abs/pii/S0165247819302640

What are your thoughts on this interesting finding?  :)

« Last Edit: October 14, 2019, 10:35:14 AM by Sharon »
Sjogren's (+ RA?) positive ANA, RNP, RNP-A, APCA salivary gland swelling, dry mouth & eyes,, eyelid swelling & redness, photosensitivity, fatigue, severe joint pain, multiple sensitivities and allergic reactions 
Orencia, Restasis, Paleo Diet, Vit. D & C, Ubiquinol 200mg, Omega 3...

Deb 27

Re: New finding: Antacid med may treat SS!
« Reply #1 on: October 09, 2019, 01:01:30 PM »
Wow, that was impressive, despite the fact that it was an animal model study. Still, it seems promising. I wonder if many docs would feel comfortable prescribing this med, off label?? Well, it might not have to be since many of us have things like GERD.

I know when I tried BC pills years ago and they made me so nauseous, my doctor gave me a medication that he said would coat my stomach. I forget the name though.

Thanks Sharon!!!!
Sjogrens and RA,  Morphea (skin scleroderma), Hashimoto's, 
Nexium, synthroid, HRT, plaquenil,  Restasis, Maxi-tears supplement, L-glutathionne, CoQ10, folate, trintillex,  multi vitamin. lisinopril.

Sharon

« Reply #2 on: October 09, 2019, 01:14:34 PM »
True Deb, though it's important to note that Rebamipide is currently approved in Japan, Korea and Russia but has not received FDA approval in the US. No need for a prescription as it's OTC. It can be ordered online.
Sjogren's (+ RA?) positive ANA, RNP, RNP-A, APCA salivary gland swelling, dry mouth & eyes,, eyelid swelling & redness, photosensitivity, fatigue, severe joint pain, multiple sensitivities and allergic reactions 

Maria3667

• Cultivating a 'dry' sense of humor.
« Reply #3 on: October 09, 2019, 04:26:27 PM »
Hi Sharon,

Thanks for posting this! Interesting indeed, even though it's only been tested on mice.

Even a slight increase in saliva or eye moisture would be heralded by most of us.

But usually, if it's that effective then there's a downside too (often weight gain for me! :( ) and yes, I looked up the side effects and first thing mentioned is constipation, which I'm already bothered by.

Others include bloating, diarrhea, nausea and vomiting.

Sigh! I wish upon a star!
51. DES-daughter ('67), Lyme's ('98), GAD ('98), Sjogren's ('03), hypothyroid ('04), endometriosis ('14), osteoarthritis ('16), blepharitis ('18), frozen shoulder ('19). Meds: pilocarpine, T3&T4, 25mg quetiapine, low dose testosterone & progesterone. Allergies: nickle, methylisothiazolinone, latex

irish

• Global Moderator
« Reply #4 on: October 09, 2019, 06:18:45 PM »
There is and was a med on the market for years called Carafate. This one can be dissolved in water and drank ...some people have been known to chew it. It works really well for heartburn or reflux cause it coats the esophagus and stomach. Just a little info....Irish

Deb 27

« Reply #5 on: October 10, 2019, 07:21:47 AM »
Interesting that it isn't approved here yet but is overseas. Yes, there always seems to be a downside to medications -:(((
We are all so different when it comes to medications.
Sjogrens and RA,  Morphea (skin scleroderma), Hashimoto's, 
Nexium, synthroid, HRT, plaquenil,  Restasis, Maxi-tears supplement, L-glutathionne, CoQ10, folate, trintillex,  multi vitamin. lisinopril.

markt

« Reply #6 on: October 10, 2019, 10:50:27 AM »
Very interesting, there are published in human studies of Rebamipide with regard to sjogrens from a decade ago.

I wonder if this article indicates renewed interest, and more importantly whether further studies are commencing (if needed).

Lots of questions...  I always wondered why the trail went cold with this and IFN-a based on earlier success and late stage development. 

Sharon

« Reply #7 on: October 10, 2019, 05:39:16 PM »
Maria- Yes, all medications have possible side effects, but remember you may not experience any of them.

Deb- True, I couldn't figure out why the FDA hasn't approved it as a gastro med as it is widely and effectively used for many GI complaints (including ulcer, reflux and gastritis) in the countries mentioned. Same issue with Rebamipide eye drops.

Mark- I came across studies of Rebamipide eye drops for SS in human trials but not taken orally specifically for SS in the past.
Could you post the studies you found from a decade ago?
The FDA did not approve the eye drops either, though they are approved in other countries and promote the production of mucin in the eye....
Many questions indeed....???

Kathy57

• Primum non nocere - "First do no Harm"
« Reply #8 on: October 12, 2019, 11:41:40 AM »
Thanks Sharon!

We get so much good information off of this site, don?t we?  I have terrible GERD and certainly would be willing to try it.  I live in U.S. so would have to get it online.

Thanks for sharing🤗

Kathy
Diagnosed Sjogrens Aug. 1st 2014.  Plaqinil, Evoxac, Prevacid, Lexapro, Hypothyroid, Esophagel Reflux, Gastritis, Barretts Esophagus, failed sinus surgery with 3 nasal septal perforations.  (Can't see it from the outside)  Asthma, albuterol, Dulera, Nebulizer, Osteoporosis.

snoweye

« Reply #9 on: October 13, 2019, 08:01:33 AM »
Also see:

A daily dose of baking soda may help reduce the destructive inflammation of autoimmune diseases like rheumatoid arthritis, scientists say.

They have some of the first evidence of how the cheap, over-the-counter antacid can encourage our spleen to promote instead an anti-inflammatory environment that could be therapeutic in the face of inflammatory disease, Medical College of Georgia scientists report in the Journal of Immunology.

https://www.sciencedaily.com/releases/2018/04/180425093745.htm

The same mechanism must be at work, but in this study simply using baking sofa.

We do not need stomach acid though, and there is a theory that GERD/reflux can be the result of too little acid in the wrong place rather than too much acid in the stomach.

bluegardenia

« Reply #10 on: October 14, 2019, 07:13:07 AM »
i have gastritis since decades and nobody prescribed that med in Italy or France and I I have never seen it over the counter. its odd.
the fact that a daily dose of baking soda could be effective against inflammation would be really great for us but not for the industry!!!!they are ,spending millions to find something and baking soda could be the solution????I bet they will put to rest this news....
60,primary sjs, diverticulosis,ibs,atrioventricular blocks 2 degree first type, acid reflux.
omeoprazole, vit c, flack seed, omega 3, b complex, nac,systane ultra, pineapple seeds

Sharon

New finding: Rebamipide may treat SS!
« Reply #11 on: October 14, 2019, 10:34:35 AM »
snoweye- No, it's not the same mechanism at work at all with the baking soda. The way the Rebamipide works has nothing to do with its additional function as a gastro protective med. It just happens to be marketed as one currently.  BTW- I tried the baking soda theory in the past with no relief from SS symptoms.

Bluegardenia- It is not sold in those countries. Only in Japan, Korea and Russia.

Kathy- I'm doing the same. Contact me when you begin taking it so we can compare notes.