Author Topic: Pain for weeks post extraction  (Read 69 times)

Deb 27

Pain for weeks post extraction
« on: October 08, 2019, 06:17:25 PM »
So, I had a molar cut out 3 weeks ago. It had a failed root canal. I experienced a LOT of pain afterwards for 10 days. The hydrocodone didn't work, but motrin did. I had to stop the motrin b/c it made my BP go way high.

I did not have dry socket, according to the surgeon, took antibiotics and it looks healed. So, I don't get this.  However, I've had pain in front of my ear, that goes down my jaw.   It feels like nerve pain. My PCP thinks it may be TMJ. Anybody else had anything like this after an extraction???  I haven't felt good since this darn extraction, to be honest. The pain is much better now but it should be completely gone. I went back to the oral surgeon 3 times and they put clove oil into the socket while it was still healing. They said it looked good. I don't know what to do, go back to my general dentist?? Could TMJ come on like that?? I don't want to have to pop tylenol the rest of my life.
Sjogrens and RA,  Morphea (skin scleroderma), Hashimoto's, 
Nexium, synthroid, HRT, plaquenil,  Restasis, Maxi-tears supplement, L-glutathionne, CoQ10, folate, trintillex,  multi vitamin. lisinopril.

irish

• Global Moderator
Re: Pain for weeks post extraction
« Reply #1 on: October 08, 2019, 10:06:44 PM »
I have had a molar cut out years ago with no problems and had many teeth with root canal abscesses etc. I did to have any long pain that seemed like nerve pain. I did have extended infections and needed extra antibiotics many times.

I am wondering if there was some pressure put on a nerve during the procedure. Also, swelling can occur during an extraction and that could also put pressure on a nerve. Did your surgeon do scans or X-rays after the extraction to check for pieces of root that could have broken off causing pressure on a nerve.

If it was me I would keep track of the pain and how long it takes to subside. Also if it keeps up I would make another appointment with the surgeon. I would assume that your surgeon is being proactive about your complaints. Hope this goes away soon. Irish

Deb 27

Re: Pain for weeks post extraction
« Reply #2 on: October 10, 2019, 07:24:09 AM »
Thank you for the reply Irish. She did not take an x ray when I complained and went back 3 times!!! My general dentist told me he would not recommend an implant replacement for that tooth because the root ran so close. I am thinking I might go back to my general dentist.
Sjogrens and RA,  Morphea (skin scleroderma), Hashimoto's, 
Nexium, synthroid, HRT, plaquenil,  Restasis, Maxi-tears supplement, L-glutathionne, CoQ10, folate, trintillex,  multi vitamin. lisinopril.