Author Topic: pneumonia shot  (Read 227 times)

Confused

pneumonia shot
« on: October 08, 2019, 03:10:28 AM »
Anyone have the pneumonia shot?

I had it and it through me in the worst pain flare I have had.  I have no idea how long this lasts but longer than me I am thinking.

Thanks

Deb 27

Re: pneumonia shot
« Reply #1 on: October 08, 2019, 02:48:40 PM »
I have not had a pneumonia shot but I did have a flare with the first flu vaccine that I got at my doctor's office. The next year, I got the flu shot at a local pharmacy and I did not have a reaction.  I looked into it and found out that at most pharmacies, they are single dose vaccines and they have fewer preservatives. So, I make sure to get single dose flu shots now. Maybe that's what's going on with you?? I just wanted to throw that out there for you.

I hope you feel better soon!!! Flares are not fun at all.
Sjogrens and RA,  Morphea (skin scleroderma), Hashimoto's, 
Nexium, synthroid, HRT, plaquenil,  Restasis, Maxi-tears supplement, L-glutathionne, CoQ10, folate, trintillex,  multi vitamin. lisinopril.

Scottietottie

• Global Moderator
« Reply #2 on: October 08, 2019, 03:48:13 PM »
Hi  :)

I had one last year and have to admit I was OK with it. Just had a flu shot last Saturday and my arm has been aching ever since!  (It doesn't usually)

Hope your flare dies down soon.

Take care - Scottie  :)
http://sjogrensworld.org/   (our home page)
http://www.sjogrensworld.org/chats.htm   (find our chat times here!)
https://kiwiirc.com/client/irc.dal.net  (way to chat + nickname and #Sjogrensworld)

Never do tomorrow what you can put off till the day after tomorrow!

sixty

« Reply #3 on: October 08, 2019, 06:29:44 PM »
I've had a pneumonia shot and it didn't bother me.  My recent flu shot has my arm sore tho.

Confused

« Reply #4 on: October 08, 2019, 10:02:43 PM »
Thank you all,
I must just not be meant for the pneumonia shot.  I think they said it put me in systemic inflammation.

Flu shots always make me not feel good for a day but nothing like whatever this is.

Thanks Deb.  I know I will need to get the darn flu shot and will go with the pharmacy and a single dose.  I hope your arms all feel fine soon.

This shot luckily I won't live long enough to have again!
« Last Edit: October 09, 2019, 10:24:38 PM by Confused »

irish

• Global Moderator
« Reply #5 on: October 09, 2019, 06:16:08 PM »
There is a difference between the flu shot and the pneumonia shot. As far as I know the flu shot has 2 types...the original type is one strength and in the past years they have made another flue shot that is stronger.

The pneumonia shot is only one type as far as I know. We get the one and then they usually try to give one some years later...as in 10 years later or so. It really depends on the patients health status and what the doctor thinks you should have. I would be willing to bet that there are some people who never get around to getting the second pneumonia shot.

Also, Every year the flu shot is different. The researchers work with the types of flu that they expect to be a problem and the flu shot is made up of several types of flu virus as needed for the coming year. I think this is why we can have more aches and pains from year to year. Depends on how many flu virus we have been afflicted with over the years as sometimes we have already built up some resistance to certain viruses. I may have ethos wrong but hopefully I remembered this correctly. Irish

Confused

« Reply #6 on: October 09, 2019, 10:38:51 PM »
Thanks Irish,

I always wondered why some flu shots were worse than others.  It makes sense.  They had trouble with the flu in April according to my doctor.  She still wanted me to wait until October before the flu shot.  That is when I have always had them.  With travel so easy you really never know what you are going to be exposed to.

I was told that in reality the stronger flu shot is not stronger in a way that is going to really make the flu less intense should you get it and it wasn't going to really stop you from getting the flu any more than the regular flu shot.  I don't know if this is true or not but I will always go for the less intense shot on anything.

Stay well this winter and I hope we all can.

irish

• Global Moderator
« Reply #7 on: October 10, 2019, 01:51:37 PM »
I think that the stronger flu shot is stronger and more apt to prevent flu because it builds a response in our body that fights off the flu. My immunologist wants his patients to have the stronger one as being sick with flu is really hard on most of his patients. Irish

Confused

« Reply #8 on: October 10, 2019, 02:42:08 PM »
Hi Irish,

All I know is that my doctor said that the flu shot would not help if I took the stronger shot.  Maybe it is because I have such trouble with things not reacting correcting with me.  It is frustrating.  Since I took the lighter shot last year I will probably stay with it this year.  I also have been told that I can do nothing new at this point in time.  I am glad you can take the stronger shot.  I always feel bad after taking a flu shot.

I hate decisions!

Beverley

« Reply #9 on: October 11, 2019, 02:22:26 AM »
Thank you for this topic. I had a letter from my Dr surgery saying I should have a pneumonia jab and wasn't sure how it would react. Also I have never had the flu jab but feel I should. I am flaring at present so won't do anything yet. Thank you again.

irish

• Global Moderator
« Reply #10 on: October 11, 2019, 07:01:16 PM »
I usually feel bad after my flu shot also. Every years is different. Sometimes I ache and have a headache and other years my arms gets red and painful. I always figure a little of this is really normal and means that the body is building up the defense against the flu. Irish

katie1111

« Reply #11 on: October 15, 2019, 02:46:39 PM »
I had my flu shot a week ago and didn't even get a sore arm - guess I was lucky.  I have had both pneumonia shots and the only side effect was a slightly sore arm.

Katie1111

bluegardenia

« Reply #12 on: October 15, 2019, 03:13:59 PM »
inveir had a flu shot  (and I never got the flu since more that 20 years, so before sjogren)because I am afraid that this could  "disturb"  my difficult immunologic system but I see that most of you have the shot so I really do not know what to do.
when I say I never had any flu in years I mean that I had some very bad cold feeling horrible for days or gastro disorders but never had fever
60,primary sjs, diverticulosis,ibs,atrioventricular blocks 2 degree first type, acid reflux.
omeoprazole, vit c, flack seed, omega 3, b complex, nac,systane ultra, pineapple seeds

irish

• Global Moderator
« Reply #13 on: October 15, 2019, 04:29:40 PM »
blugardenia, I am not telling you to get the flu shot. We are all different. I just wanted you to know that back in 2006 I was diagnosed with my myasthenia, hashimotos, had already been diagnosesd with Sjogrens and Bullous pemphigoid. He 2006 I also had blood work on my immune system. My t-cells were severely low....almost lower than a HIV patient. My doc watched me closely for the pneumonia that the HIV patients get that is parasitic in nature. I did not have any HIV or aids issues...It was all related to autoimmune,

I had had an enormous amount of infections..MRSA, Hemophilus, Mycobacterium kansasii and taken a ton of antibiotics since I was about 28 years old. I have taken the flu shot since in the 1980s and have never had any issues. My immunologist wants me to get it ever year. No one should be pushed into getting it. I will tell yoyo I was scared to death because of listening to all the bad stuff that goes around. I have had some sore arms but that is it. Do what you think you need to. Irish