Author Topic: Dry Mouth Worsens after X-rays?  (Read 271 times)

Alan

Dry Mouth Worsens after X-rays?
« on: January 18, 2020, 11:54:17 AM »
Over the last three months, I have noticed a worsening in dry mouth after the last 3 x-rays I have gotten.  The first one was a cone beam ct dental xray (this one has the highest radiation), after this there was a huge dramatic change the next day from being nighttime only to being night and day dry mouth.  The second was a Panoramic dental xray.  The third was a cervical x-ray 5 shots of the head and neck.  I had the third yesterday, and this morning my mouth was much dryer than the day before.

Has anyone else noticed this correlation?  I know that saliva glands are sensitive to radiation, but all my docs say its not related.  But, yet there is the fact that the saliva drops (they are cumulative), did occur after x-rays.  I am really concerned about this. 

Has anyone experience anything similar?  Could the x-ray radiation be affecting something?

What else could cause such sudden changes (in one day) to Saliva levels?  I don't think a disease could work that fast. 

Has anyone ever had a dramatic change in dry mouth in just a day?

--Alan

« Last Edit: January 18, 2020, 01:10:40 PM by Alan »

irish

• Global Moderator
Re: Dry Mouth Worsens after X-rays?
« Reply #1 on: January 19, 2020, 12:32:59 AM »
I have had a ton of x-rays over the years. Had 8 panoramics of teeth in less than 5 years plus many scans of sinuses, throat, neck, glands, thyroid, etc. I can't say that I ever had any increase in my oral dryness....I was very dryy for many years and lost all my teeth,etc so maybe I would not notice if I got more dry.

There are several things that can increase dryness and you are probably aware of them already. One thing is medications. I always felt that my thyroid med dries me out a lot plus other med probably cause dryness but it is possible that it varies from day to day. Decrease in fluid intake is a big issue with me. I need to keep my fluid intake up or I am really dry. Also, dry air from air conditioning and a furnace really does a job on me so I have to make sure to keep the humidity up.

I hope that you can figure this out. I am wondering if there are some extenuating circumstances that are taking place the days of the x-rays. Did you have any medications at the dentist...novacaine, etc??? How about on the day of your neck X-ray? Also, the air in medical offices can sometimes be troublesome due to different smells, humidity, etc. Time should tell. My inclination is to say that x rays don't affect one that way but that would be very ignorant of me as anything can happen to anybody at any time for any reason.. Good luck. irish

Alan

« Reply #2 on: January 19, 2020, 05:35:35 AM »
What bothers me is each time I went for xrays in the last 3 months the dry mouth got worse and did not get better, even weeks later.  Could stress and anxiety cause cumulative dry mouth, as that is the only thing else I can think of other than radiation damage.  Just strange that it happened just like this after xrays since October.  Wanted to see if xrays can affect salivary glands.

The weather did change to below freezing in the last two days. 

Does dry mouth change overnight from a disease, or is it more gradual?  Trying to figure this out.....

**update: its now 2 days since the x-rays, and the dry mouth has progressed to being dry all the time in the day...now have to drink continuously.  Very uncomfortable.  Can't imagine that this could be stress/anxiety alone.  Hope this new level of dry mouth goes away. 
« Last Edit: January 19, 2020, 01:21:26 PM by Alan »

irish

• Global Moderator
« Reply #3 on: January 19, 2020, 07:38:41 PM »
I would seriously doubt this dryness is from radiation damage. You have not had that many x rays. People that work in or with x-rays wear a badge that shows cumulative radiation exposure so that they know if they need to avoid x-rays for a while.

If radiation exposure caused dry mouth I would be much worse than I am as I have had a really, really lot of them in the past 20 years.The anxiety that we all experience worrying about our health and symptoms problems makes us worse many times. Also, just because you have increased dryness doesn't mean that it will stay.
 And, yes, stress can cause a person to have an increase in symptoms....like any or all symptoms. Make sure that you are not sucking on any candy or lozenge that could cause dryness.

Have you asked your dentist or doctor about the drug Pilocarpine or Exovac??? They are drugs that help increase saliva. Most people take them prior to meals. The Pilocarpine is cheaper in the generic. Also, the usual dose is usually 10 mgm I believe and I know what I had to drop down to 5 mgm as it made me sweat so much. Many people take this for dry mouth. You don't need a Sjogrens diagnosis for this. Sicca Is another word for dry mouth. Some people have no autoimmune disease but have "sicca". Have you checked out the side effects of your medications? Good luck. Irish