Author Topic: Is it possible to be allergic to ALL antibiotics?  (Read 244 times)

DeadGirl75

• Dark Moon Series
Is it possible to be allergic to ALL antibiotics?
« on: September 29, 2019, 03:02:35 PM »
Every spring and fall I deal with sinus infections that require antibiotics. My doctor has tried switching to many different types of antibiotics, but the result is still the same. I break out in really itchy spots. Each time it gets worse. More spots show up. I counteracted them this time by trying a small dose of steroids, I thought I solved the problem, but I didn't continue using the steroids the whole way through. So, I had two days left and I thought I was in the clear. Oh, how wrong I was.

I saw a dermatologist and she said it was a form of herpes. I'm not a doctor, but this seems ridiculous to me. Does anyone else have this problem? It started out with just a spot on my palm, the next was on my foot, and now they pop up all over and leave scars behind. Every time they multiply. I'm beyond frustrated. I went almost a year without breaking out, but the moment I take antibiotics, bam! Here they are.

I've also seen an endocrinologist and everything came back normal. My rheumy says I do have a connective tissue disorder, possibly Raynaud's, but I'm not sure how to test for that, and osteoarthritis in my hands, knees, and feet.
~Shelly

Don't look to the past, there's nothing new there for you.

irish

• Global Moderator
Re: Is it possible to be allergic to ALL antibiotics?
« Reply #1 on: September 29, 2019, 11:37:20 PM »
Te only way that one can check for allergies to antibiotics is to see an allergist that does allergy testing to drugs. Not all allergist do this drug testing....I am thinking they think it is boring or doesn't bring in enough money.

I was deemed allergist to penicillins and amoxicillins or the cephalasporins and when in the hospital with an infection last winter I was told I needed drug testing. They had a hard time treating my infection with my allergies as not many drugs left. Sooo, I did the testing with an allergist in the town where I doctor. It took me 3 different visits and it ended up I was not allergic to either of these antibiotic families so I am really happy.

This is something that you might want to check out. The scarring from the blisters makes me wonder if it is something related to autoimmune. If you get drug tested for antibiotics then you make it easier for the other doctors to figure out what is going on. When we have autoimmune diseases it sure can complicate things and make it more time consuming and money consuming. Hope you find out what is going on. It would be nice if you would have time to let us know the results as it may help some others on this site. Thanks and good luck. Irish