Author Topic: Swollen Lymph Nodes Under Jaw  (Read 304 times)

Trooper

Swollen Lymph Nodes Under Jaw
« on: September 10, 2019, 07:36:14 PM »
Hello. A few months ago, I developed swollen lymph nodes under my jaw. It started with one under my chin and now there are about 4 under my chin and about 2 under my jaw on each side. There also seems to be general swelling. The size of the nodes and general swelling waxes and wanes but is always very noticeable.

I do not have symptoms of an infection so my doctor does not believe antibiotics are appropriate and just believes it's  Sjogren's.  I'm wondering if a biopsy would be appropriate.  I'm aware of the increased chance of getting lymphoma but I understand that would still be rare. Regardless, a biopsy could possibly provide helpful information, right? Has anyone here had anything similar and gotten a biopsy? 

Also, does anyone have any suggestions on how to reduce the general swelling and swollen nodes?  I'm very self conscious about it.  :(

Thank you!
Dx HLA-B27 positive, Sjogren's, mixed connective/seronegative spondyloarthropathy; possible heart/lung involvement;
Tried high dose Cytoxan, methotrexate, Enbrel, Plaquenil.  Just starting Humira.

irish

• Global Moderator
Re: Swollen Lymph Nodes Under Jaw
« Reply #1 on: September 10, 2019, 09:20:58 PM »
Are you seeing an ENT who specializes in ear, nose and throat and is more familiar with the glands around the head and neck? If you are not it would be very helpful to get an appt with one. Also, have you had any swelling in your parotid glands, sublingual or submandibular glands?

We can have a low grade infection in the big salivary glands that can cause swelling in our lymph nodes. Have you done a search using ....images lymph nodes head and neck..... Just these 6 words should bring up images of lymph nodes and the location on head and neck. This might help you feel more comfortable or help you identify what is going on when you try to tell a new doctor.

The Sjogrens can cause swelling in the smaller salivary glands also that one can feel plus the lymph nodes can be just slightly swollen and it can get tricky to know just what is going on. This is why I asked about the ENT. It might also help to do a scan of the head and neck and get info this way. Ask your doctor about it. I'm sorry I can't give you a cut and dried answer but these glands and nodes can be hard to identify at times.

The thought occurred to me that you could be having some teeth that are having infection in the root. This can also cause swelling in the lymph nodes. Sometimes one doesn't even have pain with oral infections. I would guess this could result in scans and/or plus a referral to another doc to make certain. Good luck. Sorry that things aren't always simple!!!! Good luck. Irish

Trooper

« Reply #2 on: September 11, 2019, 12:11:17 PM »
Irish,

Thank you for your quick reply.  I have not seen an ENT yet so that is a good idea.  The lymph nodes that are swollen are submental and submandibular.  I have a low grade temperature but no other signs of an infection so my doctor will not prescribe antibiotics.  Do you know if it's a salivary gland infection if antibiotics are helpful? 

Also, do you if a dental x-ray would show root infection?  My dentist is right down the street and it would quite easy to run in and get x-rays if that would be sufficient to rule out a tooth infection. 

I really appreciate your help!  Thank you.
Dx HLA-B27 positive, Sjogren's, mixed connective/seronegative spondyloarthropathy; possible heart/lung involvement;
Tried high dose Cytoxan, methotrexate, Enbrel, Plaquenil.  Just starting Humira.

irish

• Global Moderator
« Reply #3 on: September 11, 2019, 08:18:05 PM »
You can have an infection in the salivary glands without a huge temp and swelling. These are the chronic, simmering salivary gland infections that an ENT will recognize. Most primary docs are not apt to order antibiotics ion occasions like this as they are not that knowledgeable in the autoimmune diseases. If you get treated by an ENT have him sent a letter to your primary doc. This way you will have the proof of your treatment that your primary can relate to Sjogrens.

I mentioned the dental x rays because it is always possible to have a simmering root infection that travels and causes trouble. If it is easy to get the x-rays you might save yourself some backtracking.

Meanwhile, have you tried using heat or moist warm packs on your jaw??If you drink plenty of fluids and use warm packs you can then massage your glands very gently. The saliva gets thick and will sort of settle as sludge in the ducts which can cause pain and formation of salivary stones. The massage often helps move saliva through the ducts.  Good luck. Irish
« Last Edit: September 11, 2019, 08:20:10 PM by irish »

Beverley

« Reply #4 on: September 30, 2019, 06:42:05 AM »
This is an interesting subject.  I frequently suffer with neuralgia on both sides of my face which I am told is not dental related.  My osteopath recommended massing lymph nodes to encourage flow of fluids throughout the body and I do find it sometimes helps around my face.  I was particularly interested in your assessment Irish.  The idea of saliva thickening in the nodes possibly ties in with the neuralgia as well don't you think?