Author Topic: Pepcid v. Zantac - Which has proven most helpful?  (Read 551 times)

SjoGirl

Pepcid v. Zantac - Which has proven most helpful?
« on: August 19, 2019, 09:14:49 AM »
After many years of taking a PPI and now having heart arrhythmias, so I am trying to wean off of them.

I have a hiatal hernia along with gastritis and am trying Pepcid for now but wonder if any of you have found greater relief from one v. the other.

And in case anyone wonders, I am making diet adjustments but pablum would be one of the few foods I could eat without medication (and I can't eat that because I don't eat wheat!).

FYI the gastritis is SjS related, I had H. Pylori years ago but that was treated then cleared up.
Raynauds, sero-negative RA, Primary SjS, osteopenia, degenerative disc disease, disc protrusions,stenosis, Carpal tunnel,  poly neuropathy, myoclonus, hiatal hernia, esophagitis, viral infection, Leukopenia. Restasis, Vitamin D, B12, Evoxac, Lanzoprezole, calcium acetaminophen.

irish

• Global Moderator
Re: Pepcid v. Zantac - Which has proven most helpful?
« Reply #1 on: August 19, 2019, 11:26:23 AM »
Did you check with the doctor about going off your med?? When you don't take your PPI meds the acid eats at your esophagus and can cause precancerous condition that can turn to cancer and demands very serious surgery. It is wise not to make any changes in meds, etc. without talking things over with the doctor. If we try to change things a lot we can be labeled as noncompliant patients and man the docs try to avoid us then. Hope you feel better.

Also, with the PPIs everyone is different in the way they respond. I don't think there is a bad or good drug as we are all individuals. Also, gastritis demands that our stomach acid needs to be decreased as we can end up with holes eaten in our stomach or worse problems. From what you said your heart issues have nothing to do with your Reflux and acid problems. Is that right. Irish
« Last Edit: August 19, 2019, 11:30:14 AM by irish »

bluegardenia

« Reply #2 on: August 19, 2019, 01:43:28 PM »
the only thing that  I noticed after 20 years of ppi is that it diminishes my saliva. since sjogren started.i take now ranitidine and it is ok
60,primary sjs, diverticulosis,ibs,atrioventricular blocks 2 degree first type, acid reflux.
omeoprazole, vit c, flack seed, omega 3, b complex, nac,systane ultra, pineapple seeds

irish

• Global Moderator
« Reply #3 on: August 19, 2019, 06:31:28 PM »
I know what you mean. I take one rantidine and one omeprazole a day. I am supposed to take 2 omeprazole a day but because of the side effects I keep it to one a day. When my acid gets bad I increase it to 1 pill morning and one pill night. My doctor is ok with me doing this. As long as I keep the reflux down. I have had reflux for years...back in the 80's I believe it was. I have etaken just about every PPI there is and then some and these are the 2 that work the best for me. I get my esophagus scoped every couple of years and so far so good.

It is a battle to keep the acid down but worth the battle. I have been told by nurse friends to drink water when you have a lot of acid also. This helps to dilute the acid and I think it does help some. Years ago some doctors told me that I was having reflux because of some problems with my asthma....I was not diagnosed with Sjogrens then. Anything that causes stress will increase the reflux so the asthma thing does make some sense. I have found that dry toast with grape jelly goes down good when I have reflux also.We all have out ideas on how to decrease our misery. Thanks Irish

SjoGirl

« Reply #4 on: August 20, 2019, 01:28:56 PM »
Irish, yes I definitely conferred with my doc. The PA typically responds and did this time. She told me to wean off of the PPI and try Pepcid or Zantac. I am just a few days in with Pepcid and it is working so far, fingers crossed that it continues.

Interestingly, before I even stopped taking the PPI my saliva reappeared one day. I found myself almost drooling at night and had plenty of saliva during the day. I can only think this may have been related to stopping other meds which may have been causing dry mouth (and I did confer with docs about stopping those meds).

The good news is that the last time I checked all of the pre-cancerous conditions were gone. I am aware that they can all too quickly return and I can't stand the pain from the reflux so I will almost surely always be taking a med for this as long as I live.
Raynauds, sero-negative RA, Primary SjS, osteopenia, degenerative disc disease, disc protrusions,stenosis, Carpal tunnel,  poly neuropathy, myoclonus, hiatal hernia, esophagitis, viral infection, Leukopenia. Restasis, Vitamin D, B12, Evoxac, Lanzoprezole, calcium acetaminophen.

Scottietottie

• Global Moderator
« Reply #5 on: August 20, 2019, 04:17:25 PM »
Hi  :)

I had a haital hernia, wanted to get off PPIs, so I decided to get it fixed. I had a Toupet fundiplication done. No more PPIs, no more reflux, no more heartburn. Tooka it to get over it - but I did and it was worth it.

Take care - Scottie  :)
http://sjogrensworld.org/   (our home page)
http://www.sjogrensworld.org/chats.htm   (find our chat times here!)
https://kiwiirc.com/client/irc.dal.net  (way to chat + nickname and #Sjogrensworld)

Never do tomorrow what you can put off till the day after tomorrow!

Kathy57

• Primum non nocere - "First do no Harm"
« Reply #6 on: August 20, 2019, 07:48:37 PM »
Sjogirl,

I tried to wean myself off my PPI, but was terribly unsuccessful😞. I have Barrette?s esophagus, esophagitis, and gastritis.  My acid heartburn came back full force and was very painful.

My doctor told me to just take the PPI and that I?d probably never be able to stop taking them.  I take two daily - one in the AM and one at night.  I find I can?t do without.  I tried to substitute Zantac and Tagamet but was very unsuccessful.

I hope you have more success than I did.

Kathy
Diagnosed Sjogrens Aug. 1st 2014.  Plaqinil, Evoxac, Prevacid, Lexapro, Hypothyroid, Esophagel Reflux, Gastritis, Barretts Esophagus, failed sinus surgery with 3 nasal septal perforations.  (Can't see it from the outside)  Asthma, albuterol, Dulera, Nebulizer, Osteoporosis.

SjoGirl

« Reply #7 on: August 22, 2019, 07:21:10 AM »
Hi all, I have all of the types of issues mentioned, the hernia, esophagus issues, etc.

I am pleased to report that the shift to Pepcid has worked! I had a few days of terrible burning after I stopped the PPI but I'm just about four days in on the Pepcid and it's working very well. I do still have to take a Tums on occasion for breakthrough burn but not that much. I also feel a lot better in general. I'm not sure why but wonder if the PPI was doing a number on me in ways I had not considered.

I have wondered if having the hernia fixed would address these issues. I have other matters with my heart and my hand to figure out first. If those prove to not to be big issues I may ask about whether it would prove helpful.

Deb 27

« Reply #8 on: August 24, 2019, 04:49:58 PM »
I've been able to transition off Nexium to Pepsid. It took some time and I had to cut back on the caffeine, but it seems to be working. I also elevated the head of my bed to keep the acid from coming up too easily while I sleep. Good luck!
Sjogrens and RA,  Morphea (skin scleroderma), Hashimoto's, 
Nexium, synthroid, HRT, plaquenil,  Restasis, Maxi-tears supplement, L-glutathionne, CoQ10, folate, trintillex,  multi vitamin. lisinopril.

SjoGirl

« Reply #9 on: August 25, 2019, 10:38:54 AM »
Deb, thanks, so far so good. I mostly need to avoid vinegar, which I find funny since so many people recommend using vinegar to calm a stomach or keep it in line.

Nomad

« Reply #10 on: August 25, 2019, 08:01:06 PM »
Diet adjustment and Zantac for me. Low dose. 75 mg twice a day. I periodically need to do this. Then I switch to one a day. Now, I?m back to as needed.
I eat lower fat, no junk, no flour, no sugar ...lots of water. Low fat dairy now and then...no milk. Light cheese on e in awhile.
SLE, Sj.  Syndrome, IC, Atypical Trigeminal Neuralgia, ITP (low platelets)... Various meds and lots of vitamins. Trying to eat healthy; seems to help a little.

SjoGirl

« Reply #11 on: August 27, 2019, 09:34:47 AM »
Nomad, thanks. I've been off of wheat and most dairy. I do admit to eating some chips and some sugar. I went for about 10 years without any junk or sugar I just got tired of it. I do know that too much sugar does tip scales so have to take care.

SjoGirl

« Reply #12 on: September 06, 2019, 10:48:17 AM »
Hello folks,

Just thought I would say that Pepcid is generally working beautifully for me! I am so grateful to be off of the PPI, which I believe was causing a host of problems. FYI I had horrendous GERD, Barretts' Esophagus, and so on so this is a miracle for me.

Liz D.

« Reply #13 on: September 06, 2019, 01:08:07 PM »
That is great news!
55 year old female
Sjogrens Syndrome (diagnosed 2004), Hypothryoidism, Asthma, Osteoporosis
Meds:  Plaquenil 400 mg; Synthroid 100mcg; Evoxac, Flovent, Flonase, Protonix 40 mg.,  Prozac 40 mg. Naproxen 500 mg., Hormone Replacement Therapy, vitamins, calcium, flaxseed, biotin

Kathy57

• Primum non nocere - "First do no Harm"
« Reply #14 on: September 10, 2019, 12:40:21 AM »
Sjogirl,

Happy that this all worked out for you!  It?s pretty amazing, really🤗

Kathy
Diagnosed Sjogrens Aug. 1st 2014.  Plaqinil, Evoxac, Prevacid, Lexapro, Hypothyroid, Esophagel Reflux, Gastritis, Barretts Esophagus, failed sinus surgery with 3 nasal septal perforations.  (Can't see it from the outside)  Asthma, albuterol, Dulera, Nebulizer, Osteoporosis.