Author Topic: New study about connection between gut bacteria and dry eye  (Read 747 times)

SjoGirl

Re: New study about connection between gut bacteria and dry eye
« Reply #15 on: August 27, 2019, 09:33:09 AM »
Irish, when I tested negative for Celiac my former allergist said that did not mean that I was not gluten sensitive. He said that the way to tell was this:

1. Stop eating wheat for 4-6 weeks.
2. Try wheat products and see what happens
3. Don't try only once, try, go off of wheat and try again.

As he said, we eat many things in a given day, we could be reacting to something else, that is the reason for multiple tries.
Raynauds, sero-negative RA, Primary SjS, osteopenia, degenerative disc disease, disc protrusions,stenosis, Carpal tunnel,  poly neuropathy, myoclonus, hiatal hernia, esophagitis, viral infection, Leukopenia. Restasis, Vitamin D, B12, Evoxac, Lanzoprezole, calcium acetaminophen.

irish

• Global Moderator
« Reply #16 on: August 27, 2019, 10:20:57 PM »
My hubby was diagnosed with Celiac back in 1977 and I think he had it when we married in 1964. In 1977 there were no fancy blood tests. He had a couple scopes and swallowed a silver bullet that clipped off tissue from his small intestine which showed some issues associated with Celiac. The main thing that convinced his GI doc off the bat was when he saw hubby for the first time.

Doc said hubby looked like he was starving to death. He did blood work and his folic acid was zero....none in his body. His cholesterol was 150. Doc said that there were not too many people in our country on a normal diet who ran a 150 cholesterol and the cause was most likely malnutrition/celiac. He put him on the gluten free diet and hubby gained 10 pounds the first month. Our son has the same symptoms as hubby but no blood work that would indicate it.

He was wasting away. He had known for several years that he probably had celiac but just avoided facing it. One day he was walking across our farmyard and he could have been blown away by the wind as he was wasting away. He also had the gray pallor like his dad did. I told him it was time to make the diet change before he got in big trouble with his health. He did the diet and in one month he had gained 10 pounds.

This sons little boy at age 3 started fussing so at meals and would just scream. It took forever for me to figure out that he was having rectal spasms. He would tear his clothes off from the pain. He ended up with about 5 bigger very sore ulcers on his tongue which his mom texted pictures of to me. I texted back "time to see pediatrician for celiac". They took him and doc said skip the medical work up and go straight to the diet. Family history explains it. That boy watches his diet like a hawk and is 11 now.

Just our families experience with gluten free/celiac. Everybody in our family can cook gluten free and read labels like crazy. It isn't that hard once you get in the swing of things. A gluten free diet is not the best diet for others to be on who don't need it. I had noticed that all the recipes use so many eggs and oils and I learned to cut down on this when I baked. Doctors articles say to avoid these diets unless you really need them cause they can cause some nutritional issues. Some say to take a vitamin pill when on gluten free diets. Hubby tried that but the vitamin pills just really tore his stomach up and gave him cramps. Probably from all the dyes used back then.

People who are suffering from symptoms indicative of celiac need to take it very seriously as untreated it can go on to cause death. Literally die from malnutrition like the people in 3rd world countries. Weight loss, scurvy, bone loss, blood pressure problems...all these health issues come from the malabsorption brought on by the severe scarring of the small intestine. The small intestine absorbs the nutrients and with sprue this malabsorption can eventually affect the absorption of all nutrients.

Rather interesting disease process that is passed on through family and in the european countries, around Germany, etc. Now, with intermarriage all over the world. Diagnosed big time during WW 1 and 2 when people were starving in war torn countries. They would often end up eating pretty much a rice cereal diet and their health would improve. I'm sure many of you have come upon this info. Good luck. Irish
« Last Edit: August 27, 2019, 10:25:56 PM by irish »

SjoGirl

« Reply #17 on: August 28, 2019, 02:13:03 PM »
Irish, this part of your comment hit home:

"Doc said hubby looked like he was starving to death. He did blood work and his folic acid was zero....none in his body. His cholesterol was 150. Doc said that there were not too many people in our country on a normal diet who ran a 150 cholesterol and the cause was most likely malnutrition/celiac. He put him on the gluten free diet and hubby gained 10 pounds the first month. Our son has the same symptoms as hubby but no blood work that would indicate it."

When I first became ill I was down to 99 lbs (I was typically about 115 -120 -- I'm small). I looked malnourished and eventually had a bone marrow biopsy which showed that I had zero storage iron. I have also always tended to have low Vit D levels.

Changing my diet in several ways along with anti-inflammatory meds have made a huge difference. Up until I quit my PPI I was about 112 now I'm up to 115. I hope to not gain too much more but my doc (and husband) have said I can stand to gain a few pounds.

Finally, you are right, gluten sensitivity can kill a person as can anything that blocks absorption.
Raynauds, sero-negative RA, Primary SjS, osteopenia, degenerative disc disease, disc protrusions,stenosis, Carpal tunnel,  poly neuropathy, myoclonus, hiatal hernia, esophagitis, viral infection, Leukopenia. Restasis, Vitamin D, B12, Evoxac, Lanzoprezole, calcium acetaminophen.