Author Topic: Hematologist while pregnant  (Read 243 times)

kc2015

Hematologist while pregnant
« on: August 12, 2019, 10:05:33 AM »
Hi, it's been a while since I last posted. I'm 38 with lupus vs sjogrens autoimmune. I'm not a slam drunk diagnosis. My wbc have been chronically elevated for over 7 years and upon my own insistence saw a hematologist 2 yrs ago. Now they are elevated but never above 14. So rheumie and hematologist both attributed it to chronic inflammation which is verified with an elevated crp. Never had bone marrow bc. During 7 years wbc has always been elevated but sometimes goes down to 11 up to 13 down to 12 and so on. I just did ivf (my mds at cornell medical center where aware of my wbc lupus and everything) and assured me ok to proceed. Now that I am under the care of a high risk obgyn. I'm 11 weeks, I have to see another hematologist because she is concerned. Last wbc last week was 13.3 at 10 weeks pregnant. Of note my high wbc comes exclusively from neutrophils. Now the idea of bone marrow bc and cancer while pregnant scares the heck out of me

irish

• Global Moderator
Re: Hematologist while pregnant
« Reply #1 on: August 12, 2019, 05:04:51 PM »
This is just some off the cuff advice from an old grandma who doesn't know that much about the blood esp when pregnant.

However, I will add that I am 76 and have had elevated neutraphils for years and they go up and down and often above normal. MY whilte cells are all over the map and my blood work will come back with "red" markers on most of the levels of blood work but they just move around so much that docs just watch them.

I will add that with my last pregnancy I was so ill and had so many symptoms of  sjogrens but was 29 and not diagnosed until age 60. However, I did not put on weight and had so much back pain could hardly walk and didn't sleep much. I had heartburn big time and a very tender gallbladder. The list went on. My MIL told me years later she didn't thing I would survive the pregnancy.

Now, as I look back it seems now  to be pretty obvious. I was in a chronic elevated inflammatory state that was probably kicked up by my pregnancy. I did not recover all that fast after delivery and the fatigue was just terrible. Just from being pregnancy "You know". No one thought back then that I was really sick, but I sure wondered about it.

I guess my only thought is to keep optimistic and see your doctors but if you get any scary diagnosis that cause you to wonder I would get a second opinion. Pregnancy is a foreign body according to our body and I would not be surprised if a lot of your blood work would be dependent on the pregnancy.

You will have to be vigilant but it will be worth it. Take care of yourself and stay calm. Easier said than done. Please keep us updated on how your pregnancy is going. I'll keep you in my thoughts and prayers. Irish