Author Topic: Preserving teeth  (Read 560 times)

Deb 27

Preserving teeth
« on: August 07, 2019, 12:07:00 PM »
So, I had a crown fall off a few days ago and went to the dentist today. The tooth has to come out because it is decayed under the crown.  I have more crowns in my mouth than I know. I do not take a saliva enhancer and wondered if this might help preserve my teeth? I've had a bit of a flare the past several weeks. I don't want to have to resort to expensive implants and or bridges/dentures. I've had good luck until now with the crowns holding out. I am worried my luck is starting to run out.
Sjogrens and RA,  Morphea (skin scleroderma), Hashimoto's, 
Nexium, synthroid, HRT, plaquenil,  Restasis, Maxi-tears supplement, L-glutathionne, CoQ10, folate, trintillex,  multi vitamin. lisinopril.

Carolina

• —if it ain't one thing, it's another." Roseanne R.
Re: Preserving teeth
« Reply #1 on: August 07, 2019, 08:30:53 PM »
I've taken Evoxac or Salagen since 2002, which is when I was diagnosed.  And up until a year or two ago, I went to the dentist three times year.

I have very bad teeth, since childhood.  All of my molars have crowns, mostly with root canals, and I have one implant and had a tooth removed that fell apart under a crown, last year.

So the furthest back tooth upper right is gone.  I still may have an implant to replace it, since I dislike missing a tooth.

I've never had a cavity in my front teeth, top and bottom, for some reason.

It has been very expensive to care for my teeth, with fillings removed and replaced, and then crowns, also replaced.  Plus the root canals, and the implant.

For me, I feel lucky to be able to have my teeth at 77,  (tho I doubt if much original tooth structure is left  in my molars.

But even with Salagen/Evoxac I am still very dry.  I couldn't live without a saliva enhancer.

Regards, Elaine

« Last Edit: August 09, 2019, 06:38:29 AM by Carolina »
Female-Elaine,76-CVID-pSJS-IC-PN-CAD-Osteoarthritis-COPD-SFN-Knee/Shoulder Degeneration-SIBO-Intertrigo-Act.Purpura-Anemia-Copper Def-Raynaud's-Meniere's-Hiatal Hernia-Achalasia-IVIG Gamunex-Medrol-Gabapentin-Atenolol-Pilocarpine-LDN-Nasonex-Lipitor-Estrogel-B-12-Iron-D-Mannose-NAC-Co-Q10-D3-Omega 3

irish

• Global Moderator
« Reply #2 on: August 08, 2019, 09:34:47 PM »
Our luck does run out with teeth. I had many years of losing teeth and having many caps and root canals...and terrible infections. I had my first tooth pulled at age 24 pr sp and then in late 30's everything went to pot. I had at least half my teeth pulled by 2003 and had a partial metal on top. Refused to get implants due to cost and because I thought the potential fort infection was too great.

I got a new dentist who finally listened to me and ended up having them pulled. It was still a long drawn out affair but new dentist was so good. I have had dentures since 2004 and have been so glad to have them. They have their cons, but I have not had to spend my life in the dentists chair anymore and dentures have worked out well for me. I used the dental adhesive and can eat anything...even corn on the cob. However, caramels just aren't easy to eat with dentures.

You have to make up your mind. I was around 61 when I had the rest of my teeth pulled so I wasn't a spring chicken. I do t hing a persons age probably makes a difference. If you go to the search option at the top of the page after the orange Home button, you can search out dental work in many ways. You will find a lot of info that we have posted over the years. WE have had a whole lot of discussions and input about this subject. Good luck. Irish

Liz D.

« Reply #3 on: August 09, 2019, 05:04:20 AM »
Deb,

Unfortunately, our luck does seem to run out with Sjogrens ????. Like Irish, I’ve had multiple problems from infections, abscesses, root canals, crowns, bridges, gum surgeries.  It can be extremely depressing but it is the nature of the beast.

I’ve been on evoxac which helps a bit with saliva.  It probably has helped to a degree with delaying some dental problems.  It at least helps make my mouth more comfortable.

Of course not all Sjogrens patients have such severe dental problems. Some have more issues with their dry eyes or other issues.  In my case, my mouth is the biggest problem.  My dentist thinks he can help me save my teeth for awhile but he realizes there will be some teeth I need pulled.  I feel eventually I’ll need dentures.  But I’m just not ready at 55. 

I feel for you!

Liz D
55 year old female
Sjogrens Syndrome (diagnosed 2004), Hypothryoidism, Asthma, Osteoporosis
Meds:  Plaquenil 400 mg; Synthroid 100mcg; Evoxac, Flovent, Flonase, Protonix 40 mg.,  Prozac 40 mg. Naproxen 500 mg., Hormone Replacement Therapy, vitamins, calcium, flaxseed, biotin

Carolina

• —if it ain't one thing, it's another." Roseanne R.
I can't live without a saliva enhancer
« Reply #4 on: August 09, 2019, 06:40:20 AM »
I meant to say I can't with WITHOUT a saliva enhancer.

I've corrected this error in my post.

Regards, Elaine
Female-Elaine,76-CVID-pSJS-IC-PN-CAD-Osteoarthritis-COPD-SFN-Knee/Shoulder Degeneration-SIBO-Intertrigo-Act.Purpura-Anemia-Copper Def-Raynaud's-Meniere's-Hiatal Hernia-Achalasia-IVIG Gamunex-Medrol-Gabapentin-Atenolol-Pilocarpine-LDN-Nasonex-Lipitor-Estrogel-B-12-Iron-D-Mannose-NAC-Co-Q10-D3-Omega 3

ohiolady

« Reply #5 on: August 10, 2019, 06:49:43 PM »
Deb,
I have one implant and a few crowns. I have been fortunate since my mouth is so dry. I use Evoxac and it is a lifesaver. Don?t be afraid of implants. Mine has caused me no problems. Just my two cents.

Anna
SJS  Hashimoto's   Mild Raynauds  GERD  Gastroparesis
Restasis, Evoxac, Dexilant,  Domperidone, Zofran and Synthroid. Fish Oil, Vit D and B12  R lipoic acid,  Acetyl L Cartnine, Vitamin B1, and The Perfect Food Green and Fruit supplement

Kidney Cancer Survivor   
Female   Age: 62

Deb 27

« Reply #6 on: August 12, 2019, 04:23:16 PM »
Thank you for the replies-:)))

It does seem at some point, we throw in the towel and get dentures-:((((   I probably need to try evoxac and see what other measures I can do to increase saliva and take better care of the teeth. I am worried that over time, all of these crowns will fail and I'll have to choose.

Sjogrens and RA,  Morphea (skin scleroderma), Hashimoto's, 
Nexium, synthroid, HRT, plaquenil,  Restasis, Maxi-tears supplement, L-glutathionne, CoQ10, folate, trintillex,  multi vitamin. lisinopril.

irish

• Global Moderator
« Reply #7 on: August 12, 2019, 05:11:15 PM »
Just a note, I  had  my Sjogrens diagnosis about 4 months prior to having my teeth pulled. I had a dry mouth all those years but not terribly dry. Had Sjogrens testing in 2005 and I failed all the saliva production testing. It just didn't bother me as much as it did other people.

The thing I always wondered is why for the 20 years prior to that I had no dentist who ever questioned why I had so many root canals and caps and cavities. I look back on it and figure they were not very well educated then plus I do believe they liked the money. I had one dentist who spent a lot of time in Los Vegas.!!! Irish