Author Topic: Topical treatment for nerve pain?  (Read 343 times)

SjoGirl

Topical treatment for nerve pain?
« on: August 02, 2019, 02:19:35 PM »
Have any of you found a topical treatment for nerve pain? I'm having problems with one of my knees and one elbow and I'm sure that it's nerve pain (I've tried Voltaren Gel which I know is like Tylenol, it had zero effect).
Raynauds, sero-negative RA, Primary SjS, osteopenia, degenerative disc disease, disc protrusions,stenosis, Carpal tunnel,  poly neuropathy, myoclonus, hiatal hernia, esophagitis, viral infection, Leukopenia. Restasis, Vitamin D, B12, Evoxac, Lanzoprezole, calcium acetaminophen.

Joe S.

• Fibro, Sjs, RA, CNS, Diabetes, TIA's, ADHD, ptsd
    • Chakra Force
Re: Topical treatment for nerve pain?
« Reply #1 on: August 03, 2019, 02:27:38 AM »
I do not know if it will help you but I have used a hempz lotion that helps stop splinting action of my muscles and relieves neurological symptoms in my legs.
bkn C4 & C5, herniation's 7 n, 5 t, 4 l, Nerve Damage
Lisinopril, Amlodipine, Pantoprazole, Metformin, Furosemide, Glimepiride,
Centrum Silver, Cinnamon, Magnesium, Flaxseed, Inositol, D3, ALA, ALC, Aleve, cistanche
Reiki, reflexology, meditation, electro-herbalism

katie1111

« Reply #2 on: August 03, 2019, 05:05:50 AM »
I use Blu-emu.  It really works for me.  It can be used several times a day and has no odor.  I generally use it in the morning and at night to treat my knee pain.

Katie1111

SjoGirl

« Reply #3 on: August 09, 2019, 01:04:51 PM »
Hi and thanks.

Katie I have Blue Emu but it's not working for this pain, it seems for me to be better for muscle aches.

Joe, thanks for the idea about the hempz lotion.

My neurologist suggested something with lidocaine, I plan to give it a try.
Raynauds, sero-negative RA, Primary SjS, osteopenia, degenerative disc disease, disc protrusions,stenosis, Carpal tunnel,  poly neuropathy, myoclonus, hiatal hernia, esophagitis, viral infection, Leukopenia. Restasis, Vitamin D, B12, Evoxac, Lanzoprezole, calcium acetaminophen.

Tharrell

• There has to be humor in this somewhere!
« Reply #4 on: August 10, 2019, 03:29:19 PM »
I’m was thinking about trying the Diabetic neuropathy foot cream. I saw it at Walgreens. At night my feet are killing me with neuropathy!
MCTD, sjogren's,dRTA,CVID, sero neg. ra,achalasia,Morvan’s syndrome,familial dysautonomia,POTS, MCI, IC. Occular neuromyotonia migraines,raynauds,B6,Florinef, propanolol,IVIG, sodium bicarb, plaquenil,requip,B2,topiramate, synthroid,diazepam,trulance,enbrel,cevimeline,
arava,ranitidine

SjoGirl

« Reply #5 on: August 12, 2019, 02:36:03 PM »
Thanks Tharell and others. I tried the Blue Emu again, it seems to have done the trick this time.

irish

• Global Moderator
« Reply #6 on: August 12, 2019, 05:13:47 PM »
I have worked with patients who have used lidacaine patches for their back pain and it did help them. I can't remember but would think that a script would be needed for that. You can ask the pharmacist and I bet they will head you in the right direction. Irish

rapnzl

« Reply #7 on: August 12, 2019, 05:47:19 PM »
Actually, lidocaine is available over the counter - many companies make 5% patches (Aspercreme, Salonpas, Icy-Hot, etc). The same companies make topical lidocaine gels/creams, also OTC.

Surprisingly, I find equivalent relief with capsaicin cream for nerve pain, but it must be "handled carefully". Capsaicin "distracts" the nerves in a powerful way, and even at the highest strength available, there is only a minimal burning sensation involved (tolerable IMHO). I think this stuff is under-rated. lol

irish

• Global Moderator
« Reply #8 on: August 12, 2019, 11:07:12 PM »
Is there a fragrance free capsaicin cream? I think there is a fragrance free BenGay. When I worked as a nurse in long term care we had a lady in a double room who used the regular "smelly" Ben Gay and her roommate had a true psychiatric conniption that resulted in a huge verbal interchange between relatives with staff intervening and the changing to roommates. All over the smelly BenGay. After that there was no regular BenGay allowed in the facility. Life is interesting. Irish

katie1111

« Reply #9 on: August 13, 2019, 03:05:47 AM »
Just remembered another fragrance free called "Biofreeze".  Don't know if it would help, but my doctor suggested it at one time.  My son, who referees soccer says it is used during the games for injuries.  It has a numbing affect.

Katie1111

SjoGirl

« Reply #10 on: August 14, 2019, 06:00:11 AM »
Thanks all.

Irish yes there is an odorless version of BenGay. I tried it years ago and found that it did not seem to work as well as the one with the fragrance. That may though be my brain's expectation that it must smell like menthol to work.

Thanks Katie for the mention about Biofreeze. I have some samples that I forgot all about and will give them a try.

So far the Blue Emu seems to have been working better than I thought it would, I maybe just needed a longer course of treatment.

Thanks all.