Author Topic: Topical treatment for nerve pain?  (Read 885 times)

SjoGirl

Topical treatment for nerve pain?
« on: August 02, 2019, 02:19:35 PM »
Have any of you found a topical treatment for nerve pain? I'm having problems with one of my knees and one elbow and I'm sure that it's nerve pain (I've tried Voltaren Gel which I know is like Tylenol, it had zero effect).
Raynauds, sero-negative RA, Primary SjS, osteopenia, degenerative disc disease, disc protrusions,stenosis, Carpal tunnel,  poly neuropathy, myoclonus, hiatal hernia, esophagitis, viral infection, Leukopenia. Restasis, Vitamin D, B12, Evoxac, Lanzoprezole, calcium acetaminophen.

Joe S.

• Fibro, Sjs, RA, CNS, Diabetes, TIA's, ADHD, ptsd
    • Chakra Force
Re: Topical treatment for nerve pain?
« Reply #1 on: August 03, 2019, 02:27:38 AM »
I do not know if it will help you but I have used a hempz lotion that helps stop splinting action of my muscles and relieves neurological symptoms in my legs.
bkn C4 & C5, herniation's 7 n, 5 t, 4 l, Nerve Damage
Lisinopril, Amlodipine, Pantoprazole, Metformin, Furosemide, Glimepiride,
Centrum Silver, Cinnamon, Magnesium, Flaxseed, Inositol, D3, ALA, ALC, Aleve, cistanche
Reiki, reflexology, meditation, electro-herbalism

katie1111

« Reply #2 on: August 03, 2019, 05:05:50 AM »
I use Blu-emu.  It really works for me.  It can be used several times a day and has no odor.  I generally use it in the morning and at night to treat my knee pain.

Katie1111

SjoGirl

« Reply #3 on: August 09, 2019, 01:04:51 PM »
Hi and thanks.

Katie I have Blue Emu but it's not working for this pain, it seems for me to be better for muscle aches.

Joe, thanks for the idea about the hempz lotion.

My neurologist suggested something with lidocaine, I plan to give it a try.
Raynauds, sero-negative RA, Primary SjS, osteopenia, degenerative disc disease, disc protrusions,stenosis, Carpal tunnel,  poly neuropathy, myoclonus, hiatal hernia, esophagitis, viral infection, Leukopenia. Restasis, Vitamin D, B12, Evoxac, Lanzoprezole, calcium acetaminophen.

Tharrell

• There has to be humor in this somewhere!
« Reply #4 on: August 10, 2019, 03:29:19 PM »
I’m was thinking about trying the Diabetic neuropathy foot cream. I saw it at Walgreens. At night my feet are killing me with neuropathy!
MCTD, sjogren's,dRTA,CVID, sero neg. ra,achalasia,Morvan’s syndrome,familial dysautonomia,POTS, MCI, IC. Occular neuromyotonia migraines,raynauds,B6,Florinef, propanolol,sodium bicarb, plaquenil,requip,B2,topiramate, synthroid,diazepam,trulance,enbrel,cevimeline,
arava,omeprazole, mexiletin

SjoGirl

« Reply #5 on: August 12, 2019, 02:36:03 PM »
Thanks Tharell and others. I tried the Blue Emu again, it seems to have done the trick this time.

irish

• Global Moderator
« Reply #6 on: August 12, 2019, 05:13:47 PM »
I have worked with patients who have used lidacaine patches for their back pain and it did help them. I can't remember but would think that a script would be needed for that. You can ask the pharmacist and I bet they will head you in the right direction. Irish

rapnzl

« Reply #7 on: August 12, 2019, 05:47:19 PM »
Actually, lidocaine is available over the counter - many companies make 5% patches (Aspercreme, Salonpas, Icy-Hot, etc). The same companies make topical lidocaine gels/creams, also OTC.

Surprisingly, I find equivalent relief with capsaicin cream for nerve pain, but it must be "handled carefully". Capsaicin "distracts" the nerves in a powerful way, and even at the highest strength available, there is only a minimal burning sensation involved (tolerable IMHO). I think this stuff is under-rated. lol

irish

• Global Moderator
« Reply #8 on: August 12, 2019, 11:07:12 PM »
Is there a fragrance free capsaicin cream? I think there is a fragrance free BenGay. When I worked as a nurse in long term care we had a lady in a double room who used the regular "smelly" Ben Gay and her roommate had a true psychiatric conniption that resulted in a huge verbal interchange between relatives with staff intervening and the changing to roommates. All over the smelly BenGay. After that there was no regular BenGay allowed in the facility. Life is interesting. Irish

katie1111

« Reply #9 on: August 13, 2019, 03:05:47 AM »
Just remembered another fragrance free called "Biofreeze".  Don't know if it would help, but my doctor suggested it at one time.  My son, who referees soccer says it is used during the games for injuries.  It has a numbing affect.

Katie1111

SjoGirl

« Reply #10 on: August 14, 2019, 06:00:11 AM »
Thanks all.

Irish yes there is an odorless version of BenGay. I tried it years ago and found that it did not seem to work as well as the one with the fragrance. That may though be my brain's expectation that it must smell like menthol to work.

Thanks Katie for the mention about Biofreeze. I have some samples that I forgot all about and will give them a try.

So far the Blue Emu seems to have been working better than I thought it would, I maybe just needed a longer course of treatment.

Thanks all.

Nomad

« Reply #11 on: August 24, 2019, 10:10:55 PM »
I have posted before about my compound cream for bad facial nerve pain. It is filled at a compound pharmacy. In the cream is Gabapentin, lidocaine and capsaicin. Some podiatrists write a very similar cream. I saw one for Morton?s  neuroma and he wrote one very much like this but also included an anti inflammatory in the cream. If you can?t find over the counter relief, I would definitely try finding a podiatrist who knows how to write up the compounding cream akin to what I?m describing.

You can experiment with LMX cream, which is lidocaine. You have to ask the pharmacist to order it. Mix it with a teeny tiny bit of capsaicin for arthritis. And a teeny tiny bid of hand cream.
Use extra care with capsaicin as it can and often does burn. Badly.

For some reason my prescription does not burn me. It?s very helpful. I would be in big trouble without it.
« Last Edit: August 24, 2019, 10:14:14 PM by Nomad »
SLE, Sj.  Syndrome, IC, Atypical Trigeminal Neuralgia, ITP (low platelets)... Various meds and lots of vitamins. Trying to eat healthy; seems to help a little.

irish

• Global Moderator
« Reply #12 on: August 24, 2019, 11:11:28 PM »
Thanks for telling us about this again. I had forgotten about it. Sounds like a very good alternative for people that need topical pain relief. Irish

SjoGirl

« Reply #13 on: August 25, 2019, 10:37:50 AM »
Nomad,

Sounds marvelous. So far Blue Emu and the occasional use of Voltaren Gel are helping. My ankle is though in bad shape and needs to be looked at. I have a first-ever meeting with a cardiologist this week so the ankle will have to wait as will my trigger finger which is back for the third time.

What I am finding is that my tendons and ligaments now seem to be being affected more than other parts of me. I plan to discuss when I see my new rheumatologist next month (the former one moved to work at a VA hospital).

Sophie

irish

• Global Moderator
« Reply #14 on: August 25, 2019, 11:57:33 PM »
Just to let you know that Sjogrens causes a whole lot of tendon inflammation and it literally travels from one area of the body to another. I have dealt with this for years. Heading for my fourth carpal tunnel surgery and always have aches and pains. I have learned to pretty much tell what is tendon pain as there are certain areas that seem to be affected the most for me.

The worst one I had lasted 8 months and affected the inside of my foot above the ankle and radiated and just really kept me down. Finally my oral prednisone was increased in a burst and taper and I got over it. I had been to the foot doctor and had it checked and ended up in a long stretchy bandage which was nothing but trouble cause it was winter!!!

The most important thing is to not ever, ever overstretch any joint in your body and always move deliberately cause sudden movements could aggregate the areas a lot. My oldest son who is autoimmune jumped out of bed suddenly at 3 AM one morning when the smoke detector went off. By the time he hit the floor he had ruptured his Achilles tendon and had surgery and missed 6 months of work.

Not to scare people but just to let them know to respect their tendons and go easy. Many of us can't do normal exercises and have to take it very easy. Good luck at the cardiologist. Irish

Just wanted to add that it is my impression that Sjogrens patients have a lot of tendon issues that are disregarded as just random complaints. If you sort of keep track of your pains, where they are and if there is any activity that seems to aggravate the aches it might help you. it is an inflammatory process in the tendons that drives us crazy.
« Last Edit: August 26, 2019, 11:29:30 AM by irish »