Author Topic: Changes to Medicare Supplements for those who turn 65 in 2020 and after.  (Read 625 times)

Carolina

• —if it ain't one thing, it's another." Roseanne R.
Dear Sjogren's Angels,

My BELOVED Medicare Supplement, Plan F, is eliminated for those who turn 65 in 2020 and after.

Those already enrolled will keep Plan F.  Plan F pays 100% of all expenses NOT covered by Medicare.

There will be NO Supplement Plan that covers 100% of expenses for those who turn 65 and join Medicare after 2020.

This is so sad, because having all expenses paid makes everything so easy.  The cost of plan F is high, but as you know it is far outweighed by the expense of my medical bills.

Alas, those who need help the most are losing this help, going forward.

I am 'grandfathered' into Plan F, thank goodness.

https://www.ahip.org/wp-content/uploads/Medigap2020-002.pdf

Regards, Elaine
Female-Elaine,76-CVID-pSJS-IC-PN-CAD-Osteoarthritis-COPD-SFN-Knee/Shoulder Degeneration-SIBO-Intertrigo-Act.Purpura-Anemia-Copper Def-Raynaud's-Meniere's-Hiatal Hernia-Achalasia-IVIG Gamunex-Medrol-Gabapentin-Atenolol-Pilocarpine-LDN-Nasonex-Lipitor-Estrogel-B-12-Iron-D-Mannose-NAC-Co-Q10-D3-Omega 3

Kathy57

• Primum non nocere - "First do no Harm"
Carolina,

I?m glad that you are grandfathered in!  We are still hammering out our Medicare selection.  We think we have it but are going to check with the Business office at MD Anderson to make sure that we have a good plan that covers my husbands?s care there.

We live in Illinois, but this is important for him to be able to continue his cancer care at MD Anderson.  They are so advanced compared to anything we have in our area.

Thanks for keeping all of us updated on this important news.

Kathy
Diagnosed Sjogrens Aug. 1st 2014.  Plaqinil, Evoxac, Prevacid, Lexapro, Hypothyroid, Esophagel Reflux, Gastritis, Barretts Esophagus, failed sinus surgery with 3 nasal septal perforations.  (Can't see it from the outside)  Asthma, albuterol, Dulera, Nebulizer, Osteoporosis.

Jenny

Rats! I turn 65 next year. Luckily my husband turns this December, but he?s the healthy one.
63 year old female with back, shoulder, neck and knee pain, dry mouth, losing teeth, dry sinuses,Blood test positive for Sjogrens. Fibromyalgia, Osteoarthritis .
Maloxicam, Lisinopril, Norco, misc.vitamins
4 discs in low back fused. Shoulder replaced 2015 & 2017 Need knee replaced.
4 hand surgeries

Carolina

Dearest Sjogren's Angels,

I've just found out some very good news.

It looks as if plan G (without a high deductible) is the plan that is best when Plan F is gone.  With Plan G, the only annual charge you have out of pocket is the annual $185 Medicare Deductible.  Once you've paid the first $185 of Medicare Plan B expenses, everything else is covered 100%!

This is great news.

Regards, Elaine
Female-Elaine,76-CVID-pSJS-IC-PN-CAD-Osteoarthritis-COPD-SFN-Knee/Shoulder Degeneration-SIBO-Intertrigo-Act.Purpura-Anemia-Copper Def-Raynaud's-Meniere's-Hiatal Hernia-Achalasia-IVIG Gamunex-Medrol-Gabapentin-Atenolol-Pilocarpine-LDN-Nasonex-Lipitor-Estrogel-B-12-Iron-D-Mannose-NAC-Co-Q10-D3-Omega 3

Jenny

Wonderful! Thanks Elaine.
63 year old female with back, shoulder, neck and knee pain, dry mouth, losing teeth, dry sinuses,Blood test positive for Sjogrens. Fibromyalgia, Osteoarthritis .
Maloxicam, Lisinopril, Norco, misc.vitamins
4 discs in low back fused. Shoulder replaced 2015 & 2017 Need knee replaced.
4 hand surgeries

Carolina

Okay, another update:

In Plan G there is an annual Medicare Part A deductible of $1340.  The annual deductible for Plan B is $185.    Those are your out of pocket expenses each year.

The cost of Basic Medicare (without a Supplement or Advantage Plan) is Part A and Part B.

Medicare Part A covers Hospital related expenses.

Medicare Part B covers Doctor related expenses.

Everyone takes Plan A and Plan B, and the cost is deducted from your social security payment.

You do NOT have to buy a Supplement, an Advantage Plan or Drug Coverage.  That's your decision.

Medicare ADVANTAGE (called Part C)  plans are run by the Insurance companies who have contracted with Medicare to offer coverage for a payment by Medicare.  Most plans require some monthly fee, which you pay to the insurance company.  The Plans vary all over the place, and from state to state, so when you move you have to change plans.

Advantage Plans ARE cheaper than most of the Supplements IF you choose the HMO or PPO options, and most, but not all, Advantage Plans (Part C) have drug coverage (Part D).

For those of us who want to be able to go to ANY doctor or hospital in ANY part of the country (The Mayo, MD Anderson, etc) the Advantage Plans are too variable and too likely to change from year to year..

The Supplement Plans (or Medigap), which are also run by insurance companies, cannot change from year to year (except the major change in 2020, which is a one off).

If you are looking for stable plans that have broad coverage, and you know you will have fairly high medical expenses (and who over 65 won't have high expenses some day?) The Supplements are best for you.

Since none of the Supplements has drug coverage, you ALSO need separate drug coverage (called Part D).  My Drug Coverage costs about $69/mo.

If you want less expensive coverage and don't worry about plan limitations or changes, the Advantage Plans are a good choice.  They are much cheaper than most Supplement Plans.

It IS confusing, I'll admit.

As a former HR Professional, I know that Medical Insurance is the most expensive and confusing product that an employer buys.  In the 'old days' employers could offer 'Cadillac Plans' and continue coverage for retired employees.  Those days are gone for employees, because most companies cannot offer extensive medical care any longer.

This makes the choices for Medicare very important.  If you have your former employer's medical plan after you retire, you won''t need either a Supplement or Advantage Plan, since your employer's plan will pick up what Medicare doesn't cover.

Regards, Elaine
« Last Edit: August 05, 2019, 07:41:02 AM by Carolina »

irish

• Global Moderator
I wil add to this good info that because everything is subject to change....... whether we want it to change or not....make sure to always read all the info that comes to you in the mail with your insurance logos on it. Do not think it is "junk" mail cause I have been taken by surprise by some of the info that comes to me. Can be from medicare or supplement, whatever.

We can't assume anything because we live in perilous times with our insurance coverage. Also, it pays to stop into your insurance agency or call them occasionally to see if there is any updates you missed or pending. Just a little suggestion.

My insurance agency puts on a workshop every year in October for 4 days. They send a letter to those of us on medicare with coverage from their agency. We can call in and sign up for the time and day we want to attend. They do this regards of any changes cause they also answer questions and cover items that may have been causing people problems. This is really awesome. Usually lasts 1 hour or so and they serve coffee and cookies. :) Thanks Irish

Kathy57

• Primum non nocere - "First do no Harm"
Dear Sjoggie friends,

We went with A CIGNA part G plan for my husband?s Medicare.   Still checking into the best coverage for medications.

Thanks for all the info cause it is confusing!  We go back to MD Anderson for a biopsy this coming Tuesday.  Fingers crossed.  Happy week to all.

Kathy
Diagnosed Sjogrens Aug. 1st 2014.  Plaqinil, Evoxac, Prevacid, Lexapro, Hypothyroid, Esophagel Reflux, Gastritis, Barretts Esophagus, failed sinus surgery with 3 nasal septal perforations.  (Can't see it from the outside)  Asthma, albuterol, Dulera, Nebulizer, Osteoporosis.

Carolina

Dear Kathy,

Wishing only the BEST results for you and your husband in this difficult 'journey'.

Love, Elaine