Author Topic: what do you all do about dry clogged sinuses at night?  (Read 548 times)

rudytudy1

what do you all do about dry clogged sinuses at night?
« on: July 26, 2019, 11:15:15 AM »
What do you all do about dry stuffy sinuses when you sleep?    I can't use a humidifier because the moisture while I sleep effects my lungs and meds don't work for me.    I don't use a nasal spray except for saline solution spray.

What helps you?
Lupus arthropathy,  fatigue, Sjogren's Syndrome , cutaneous Lupus,  osteoarthritis with lumbar fusion surgery.  

diclofenac dx-2009

vrystaat

Re: what do you all do about dry clogged sinuses at night?
« Reply #1 on: July 26, 2019, 12:54:17 PM »
Hello
You need to rinse your sinuses out. I do mine once a day (at night) or three times a day if I have sinusitis.

You need a storage container: I prefer glass so I bought a 100 ml container on Amazon.
Or you can buy a plastic one made by Neilmed.

The best solution to use is Normal saline. Make it yourself by putting ½ tsp of table salt in 100 ml.
Now you have to keep this sterile, so boil the water first, & let it cool. I sterilize my container by steaming it for 30 seconds.
Likewise, I steam my flushing syringe.

When you're done, flush your sinuses in 3 positions:
  • Then flush head bent far over to left and then right.
    To flush your upper nose, put your head way down, close to your legs.
    Flush gently, and don't squirt. Do this twice in each position.

There are illustrations in many books & periodicals.

My Doctor will prescribe Budesonide instead of saline if there is allergy, or Tobramycin if there is infection.

This website gives you illustrations:
https://www.wikihow.com/Flush-Sinuses

I use a 30 ml plastic syringe instead of the Netipot.
Buy your flushing syringe "30mL Catheter Tip Syringe" online,

I find that I can keep my nasal cavity clean and moist this way.
« Last Edit: July 26, 2019, 08:22:35 PM by vrystaat »
Sjogrens;Polymyositis;Polyneuropathy;Gastritis;GERD, Autonomic Neuropathy, Neurological complications, Trigeminal Neuralgia,Gamma 3 globulin low;Multiple infections;Brain fog; Ocular problems - blepharitis, scleritiis, dry eye,severe eye pain. Possible Inclusion body Myositis.Currently Endstage

Carolina

• —if it ain't one thing, it's another." Roseanne R.
« Reply #2 on: July 26, 2019, 04:25:18 PM »
I rinse my sinuses, through my nose, with a saline solution.  I order the saline from one of the 'big box' stores, on line.  NOT expensive.

I then apply NasaCort in each nostril. (NasaCort is expensive, but I buy it 3 bottles per pack from one of the 'big box' stores, on line, usually six bottles at a time, which lasts for ever.)

AND I take generic Mucinex, morning and night, to thin my mucus.  It is called guaifenesin.  I order it from the big box stores, on line, and it is called Mucus Relief Chest) 

You can also get similar products from Amazon, same brand as the 'big box store'.

It works.

Regards, Elaine
Female-Elaine,76-CVID-pSJS-IC-PN-CAD-Osteoarthritis-COPD-SFN-Knee/Shoulder Degeneration-SIBO-Intertrigo-Act.Purpura-Anemia-Copper Def-Raynaud's-Meniere's-Hiatal Hernia-Achalasia-IVIG Gamunex-Medrol-Gabapentin-Atenolol-Pilocarpine-LDN-Nasonex-Lipitor-Estrogel-B-12-Iron-D-Mannose-NAC-Co-Q10-D3-Omega 3

Joe S.

• Fibro, Sjs, RA, CNS, Diabetes, TIA's, ADHD, ptsd
    • Chakra Force
« Reply #3 on: July 26, 2019, 05:08:30 PM »
BLEED
bkn C4 & C5, herniation's 7 n, 5 t, 4 l, Nerve Damage
Lisinopril, Amlodipine, Pantoprazole, Metformin, Furosemide, Glimepiride,
Centrum Silver, Cinnamon, Magnesium, Flaxseed, Inositol, D3, ALA, ALC, Aleve, cistanche
Reiki, reflexology, meditation, electro-herbalism

irish

• Global Moderator
« Reply #4 on: July 26, 2019, 06:21:18 PM »
If you have an ENT good, if you don't it is probably time to find one. Sinuses will bother you most of the time with the Sjogrens because of the loss of moisture production in the nasal cavity,

Ask your ENT what to do with a  rinse or irrigation and he will have his regime that he and his staff can help you with. The one thing that is important is to use distilled water and boil it and let it cool. I have stored my cooled distilled water in the ref ridge. I rinse it out with boiled warm distilled water prior to putting the cooled water in.

There are more ways to do irrigations than to skin a cat. I have been doing this since 2000 and for awhile I had to do it 4 times a day at least cause I had a lot of MRSA and other infections due to my low immune system. I have used all the products the others have mentioned plus Muropirocin and some others. Also, there is a nasal nebulizer set up that really works well. All of these regimes take time but the really do help. Much of the problem with the stuffiness at night is due to dryness. Also, make sure that you do any of these regimes at least 2-3 hours prior to going to bed. The water needs to drain out. If you lay down too soon the water will drain way back up into your nasal passages and this has the propensity to cause issues.

Also, find a store where you can buy generic Mucinex. This is very good to use at least 2 times a day with 400 mgm. Check with your doctor or pharmacist. This draws moisture into the areas in our body that produce mucus and cause the mucus to be thinner. This helps the lungs also. Best to take this with some food.

We can all talk all night about this stuff, but it helps to see an ENT and come armed with some of this info. Trying to follow online instructions with something you have never done before can be tricky. Good luck. Irish

I forgot to tell you what I do to help with the night dryness. I figured this out myself from wearing a mask as a nurse. When you wear a face mask you will notice that it will become a little damp and that is b because when one exhales air from the lungs moisture is exhaled also. I figured I would try wearing a mask when I slept and darned if it doesn't help. I buy the cheaper soft ones from Walmart that are about 4-$ a box.

Make sure to store them in a safe clean space and make sure your hands are clean. I use them over if I haven't used them manyt hours. I also wear the mask on those really dry windy days when I am outside or even in the house when it is so dry. The dry air just makes life miserable for me. Good luck.
« Last Edit: July 26, 2019, 06:25:46 PM by irish »

Kathy57

• Primum non nocere - "First do no Harm"
« Reply #5 on: August 02, 2019, 11:43:15 AM »
RudyTudy1,

I use a Neti Pot but have used sinus rinse bottles in the past.  I sterilize my neti pot by washing and rinsing well and then I put it in the microwave for 60 seconds.  The microwave kills viruses, bacteria, etc.

I boil water and let it cool.  I measure out the amount needed for my neti pot and then warm it up a bit in the microwave - just enough to be warm and comfortable.  I mix 1/4 tsp salt and 1/4 tsp Baking soda into the water along with my Budesonide.

I?m not able to force anything into my sinuses because they are very fragile from the Sjogrens and a failed sinus surgery.  I irrigate gently and do so through gravity.  I also use a Budesonide rinse.

I agree with Irish that it would help to see an ENT.  Dryness and inflammation go hand in hand with Sjogrens.  One word of caution.  If your ENT recommends surgery, I would demand a second and even a third opinion. 

If I could undo the damage that was done to me, I would!  You are better off seeing an ENT affiliated with a University or teaching hospital. 

I don?t know about you, but I cannot tolerate direct blowing wind in my face.  This includes air conditioning and heat and also I can?t stand close to a blowing fan.  The air dries me out and my sinuses ache!  I have taken a clean q tip and gently coated the inside of my nostrils with a protectant such as Aquaphor.

Again, my ENT knows that I do this. 

I hope you find what works best for you.  I know you will!  It just takes time and trial.

Kathy

« Last Edit: August 02, 2019, 11:47:14 AM by Kathy57 »
Diagnosed Sjogrens Aug. 1st 2014.  Plaqinil, Evoxac, Prevacid, Lexapro, Hypothyroid, Esophagel Reflux, Gastritis, Barretts Esophagus, failed sinus surgery with 3 nasal septal perforations.  (Can't see it from the outside)  Asthma, albuterol, Dulera, Nebulizer, Osteoporosis.