Author Topic: Disability Pension Claim Submitted  (Read 771 times)

Lotus1

Disability Pension Claim Submitted
« on: July 16, 2019, 05:15:01 PM »
Hello everybody

It's been a long time since I visited this forum.

I've been 3.5 months completing a disability pension claim uploading supporting documents which I finally submitted.
I had to have the correct centrelink wording on the documents like I do at present with the medical certificates for the newstart allowance so I don't need to look for work.
We live in a crazy world where 'acceptance' is based on correct wording, crazy.
Not just centrelink either according to friends.
The estimated completion date is September 1st.

I Quit work as some of you know due to my dry eyes mainly.
I'm able to maintain other symptoms but not the dry eyes and mouth and had enough of battling on after 18 yrs in the office environment.

The next step I presume will be an assessment by Centrelink.  I expect an opthalmologist assessment at least.  Things will be interesting.  I'm hoping for a positive outcome.

Keep as well as possible dear soggies.

Lotus1

irish

• Global Moderator
Re: Disability Pension Claim Submitted
« Reply #1 on: July 16, 2019, 10:35:03 PM »
I wish you good luck. Putting all that information is such a time consuming project. Irish

Lotus1

« Reply #2 on: July 17, 2019, 02:37:48 AM »
Thank you Irish I had to complete the claim online so I decided 2 use the microphone after 6 tries to answer 2 questions and not being able to move forward wrecking my eyes I got onto the computer where I saw in small writing no more than 255 characters you would think you would not be able to type any further after a set amount of characters but no the system let me carry on typing I then sat and counted the number of characters of what I had written on a piece of paper to make sure it wasn't more than the 255 characters painful the rest of the claim wasn't so bad however it took ages to get support letters and then have the op thalmologist's letter amended to include correct wording required by Centrelink or else Your Claim is dismissed immediately

I was ever so thankful for a new neighbour who on her third attempt was granted the disability pension the reason 4 rejection was the correct wording!

I discovered some of the correct wording when my current payment allowance was stopped due to the correct wording not being on the medical certificate which the GP swiftly altered for me

I promptly phoned Centrelink to ensure the correct wording needed to be included in support letters nice staff member informed me that it did and emphasized another word that needed to be included which my neighbour had already informed me about

Hopefully at least I have all the correct wording included in the documents and my claim will be looked at ????

It isn't easy to have success now apparently if you can walk Centrelink say you are fine more or less

It was easier when my husband claimed for disability pension 9 years ago

However I am hoping and praying for a positive outcome as I think 18 years of daily misery with my dry eyes and mouth in the office was a fair trial!

I now wait for Centrelink medical assessment I guess

Will let you know my outcome

Thanks again for your interest in little old me ????

Lotus1

Carolina

• —if it ain't one thing, it's another." Roseanne R.
« Reply #3 on: July 17, 2019, 06:00:35 AM »
SSDI is a nightmare.  I understand that the policy/practice is to say 'NO' the first time, just hoping you'll give up.

My heart goes out to you, Lotus1, having to work with the nightmare of Sjogren's at its worst.

I was 'lucky' that I didn't even start with the worst of my Immune Disorder until I was already retired.

It doesn't make the conditions any better, but at least I don't have to struggle with the demands of the workplace.

Hoping that all goes well.  But I know you will succeed because you have an understanding of 'how it works'.

Regards, Elaine
Female-Elaine,78-CVID-pSJS-IC-PN-CAD-Osteoarthritis-COPD-SFN-Knee/Shoulder Degeneration-SIBO-Intertrigo-Act.Purpura-Raynaud's-Meniere's-Hiatal Hernia-Achalasia-IVIG Gamunex-Medrol-Gabapentin-Atenolol-Pilocarpine-LDN-Nasonex-Lipitor-Estrogel-D-Mannose-NAC-Co-Q10-D3-Omega 3-Naltrexone-Omeprazole-

vrystaat

« Reply #4 on: July 17, 2019, 08:02:40 AM »
One of my last jobs was as a Disability Evaluator. I worked closely with an MD.
SSDI is truly a nightmare, but if you have private Disability Insurance, the task is much harder.
My advice is to retain a Disability Attorney ASAP. Once the Insurer knows this, your case will become much easier.
If necessary, take them to Court quickly. Don't wait. A recent case took over 6 years to settle. Most disability Insurers
don't want to pay you, so they fight until the end. An example is Union Mutual (UNUM).

Finding a good Disability Attorney is very difficult. Almost always, they are not pleasant & want the case over quickly.
Word of mouth is the best method, but beware of high profile Law Firms. Their attorneys can be a handful, and they tend to string along your case.
« Last Edit: July 19, 2019, 08:01:48 AM by vrystaat »
Sjogrens;Polymyositis;Polyneuropathy;Gastritis;GERD, Autonomic Neuropathy, Neurological complications, Trigeminal Neuralgia,Gamma 3 globulin low;Multiple infections;Brain fog; Ocular problems - blepharitis, scleritiis, dry eye,severe eye pain. Possible Inclusion body Myositis.Currently Endstage

Deb 27

« Reply #5 on: July 18, 2019, 02:55:28 AM »
Lotus, I wish you good luck. I think others here have more experience than I do with disability but I wanted to wish you well.  We rely on our eyes and it can be really tough. I had a problem with a job that I had with my eyes because I did such intensive computer work. I left that job anyway in 5 months. I was lucky to find a job that didn't require such intense computer work and retired early at 63, mostly due to the extreme fatigue. Keep us posted.
Sjogrens and RA,  Morphea (skin scleroderma), Hashimoto's, 
Nexium, synthroid, HRT, plaquenil,  Restasis, Maxi-tears supplement, L-glutathionne, CoQ10, folate, trintillex,  multi vitamin. lisinopril.

irish

• Global Moderator
« Reply #6 on: July 18, 2019, 01:28:01 PM »
One of the most important things one can do is to answer the questions refrying to daily ability to function with tasks. Just saying a word like "tired" or "pain" is not an answer that they like. One needs to explain the result of those symptoms. As in: can't read any printed material, watch, grocery shop, etc. due to eye pain and fatigue. The need to lay with eye closed to rest them has increased dramatically over the past several years. Maybe state how long you have to rest your eyes a day. Describe your daily routine since eyes are worse.

The disability people want very specific instances of your daily problems related to your problem. Also, all the info you can gather up about the problems that Sjogrens can cause with the eyes such as ulcers and severe loss of vision from some of the issues. Also explain the fact that Sjogrens have decrease in secretions even in the eyes----which I think a lot of people do not understand. Sorry if I said things that you already know.

I have done 2 claims....my husbands took me 2 times ( he had autoimmune also) and mine took me one time.
It drove me crazy. As a nurse I was used to documenting but it was different when it was "me" and affected out financial well being. Good luck. Irish