Author Topic: Turns out it's Premature Atrial Contractions - Now to find the cause  (Read 462 times)

SjoGirl

For those who have been following my posts about arrhythmias, I had a Holter monitor a couple of weeks ago after experiencing irregular heartbeats. I got the report today, turns out it's Premature Atrial Contractions (not premature ventricular contractions as my doc thought it might be).

I am scheduled for an echocardiogram in a couple of weeks to make sure it's not a problem with the chamber. My guess is that it's from fatigue, stress and/or my Raynauds. Caffeine can be a cause but I've been testing that possibility, I am not finding a link (and I don't really drink all that much caffeine).

Thanks to those who have been following along for "listening," as you all know, it seems to always be something with Sjoggies.
Raynauds, sero-negative RA, Primary SjS, osteopenia, degenerative disc disease, disc protrusions,stenosis, Carpal tunnel,  poly neuropathy, myoclonus, hiatal hernia, esophagitis, viral infection, Leukopenia. Restasis, Vitamin D, B12, Evoxac, Lanzoprezole, calcium acetaminophen.

Skylar

Re: Turns out it's Premature Atrial Contractions - Now to find the cause
« Reply #1 on: July 15, 2019, 03:00:51 PM »
((((HUGS)))))  It's good you know what it is now and it's getting thoroughly checked out.

irish

• Global Moderator
« Reply #2 on: July 15, 2019, 08:31:10 PM »
Good that you know but make sure you tell your doc about electrical problems in heart due to neuropathy with Sjogrensw. I just read about it again on line. Hzve you searched this at all??? Good luck. Irish

jazzlover

« Reply #3 on: July 16, 2019, 06:11:55 PM »
Keep us posted. I hope you can find the trigger.

I get help for my A-fib with CoQ10.
Mast Cell Activation Syndrome (MCAS), Salicylate Sensitivity,  Interstitial Cystitis,  gluten intolerance, Raynaud's, Sjogren's, A-fib; cytomegalovirus, recovered from Lyme disease

SjoGirl

« Reply #4 on: July 17, 2019, 08:29:18 AM »
Thanks all.

I am all for taking a supplement v. a drug, I will ask about CoQ10.

Irish I did not bring up neuropathy but did raise questions about Raynauds and also about my spine. I have DDD and osteoarthritis all the way up and down my spine and wondered if it could somehow be causing an issue. I also wondered, when talking out loud to my PCP,  if this might be systemic based in the autonomic nervous system (so I guess in a way I did mention neuropathy).

What I'm told is that this is sort of an electrical short circuit, I'll know more after the echo.
Raynauds, sero-negative RA, Primary SjS, osteopenia, degenerative disc disease, disc protrusions,stenosis, Carpal tunnel,  poly neuropathy, myoclonus, hiatal hernia, esophagitis, viral infection, Leukopenia. Restasis, Vitamin D, B12, Evoxac, Lanzoprezole, calcium acetaminophen.

irish

• Global Moderator
« Reply #5 on: July 19, 2019, 11:24:24 AM »
Research autonomic neuropathy and you may find some info also.   The electrical impulses are neurology at its finest so autoimmune diseases can surely influence this. Do they label this atrial fibrillation yet? There are meds that can treat this with fairly good results. Irish

jazzlover

« Reply #6 on: July 21, 2019, 12:14:52 PM »
I was wondering too about the A-fib. I have A-fib and I'm taking verapamil and the Co
Q10 .. I also take magnesium.

Keep us posted!
Mast Cell Activation Syndrome (MCAS), Salicylate Sensitivity,  Interstitial Cystitis,  gluten intolerance, Raynaud's, Sjogren's, A-fib; cytomegalovirus, recovered from Lyme disease

irish

• Global Moderator
« Reply #7 on: July 21, 2019, 11:38:42 PM »
I reread your post about the doc dying this was sort of an electrical short circuit. That is caused by neuropathy. The nervous system is very complicated and it can affect the beating of the heart. Most docs have limited knowledge about Sjogrens and the weird things that can happen.

As I said earlier a search of Sjogrens, neuropathy and heart irregularities will bring you up much information. One of the issues that is a worry for pregnant women is having a baby with a heart block. Pregnant women with Sjogrens would do well to have a OB-GYN who deals with high risk pregnancies as Sjogrens women have a risk of having a baby with heart block. This is a component of electrical caused by enruological issues.

The nervous system regulates a good many things in our body and people lose sight of the fact that the heart, vagus nerve and many other things are regulated by the CNS. I am being a"little pushy" about this because I don't want to see you end up having serious consequences. Good luck. Irish

SjoGirl

« Reply #8 on: July 22, 2019, 05:09:14 PM »
Thanks again. Irish, I have not yet searched on autonomic neuropathy but will, it really was one of the first things I thought of. I'm heading out of town and can do some checking while I'm riding in the car (not driving riding).

I have cut back on coffee and chocolate both of which are known causes of PAVs. I am a bit miserable today I think due to withdrawals and being tired of giving up more foods (I've already given up gluten, dairy, spicy foods, etc.).

I am also writing to people with organizations where I volunteer to say that I have to cut back. I am still working and volunteering, it's all become too much and this gives me a reason to throw up a white flag and say enough.

I have my Echo in two weeks, I'll send an update then. Thanks for all the support!!

irish

• Global Moderator
« Reply #9 on: July 22, 2019, 06:57:04 PM »
It will be interesting to see if cutting down on your volunteering, etc will take some stress of and get rid of the heart irregularity. Can always hope!!! Good luck. Irish

SjoGirl

« Reply #10 on: August 02, 2019, 02:17:24 PM »
Irish, so far so good. I have also cut back on caffeine and chocolate, oh I miss both!

I am using a new I-watch to practice breathing more and becoming aware of how jacked up I can get sometimes over small things, it is all helping.

SjoGirl

« Reply #11 on: August 09, 2019, 01:06:14 PM »
Hi all,

I had my echocardiogram today. It was surprisingly a bit painful because she had to press pretty hard to see past organs to my heart (she said you are thin and have a lot packed into a little body).

I should know something by early next week. I'll keep you all posted.

Sophie