Author Topic: Ashwaganda  (Read 834 times)

araminta

Ashwaganda
« on: June 14, 2019, 03:57:21 AM »
Has anyone tried this?   It's an ancient Indian remedy.   Amongst other things it is supposed to help with fatigue, which is why I'm interested.
Dry eyes (MGD), nose, mouth, labyrinthitis, rashes, dry skin (occasional eczeme), mouth ulcers, constant but fluctuating fatigue.  Blood tests and Schirmers negative,no Sjogrens dx yet.   Flax oil, multivitamins,  saline nasal spray, Hylo forte, Lacrilube, organic castor oil for eyes, moisturisers.

Skylar

Re: Ashwaganda
« Reply #1 on: June 15, 2019, 03:27:56 PM »
I wouldn?t. There?s no quality evidence based research showing its effective and it has side effects.

When you consider the amount of money drug companies have put into studying aruvedic medicine if this had any potential you would see drugs based on it.

irish

• Global Moderator
« Reply #2 on: June 15, 2019, 11:40:20 PM »
I did some research on this last night and I wouldn't either. It doesn't have a tried and true tack record. The amount of liver and kidney damage that can be done by so many of these products isn't always seen right away. People take them without doctors knowledge and with other medications and heaven knows the interactions. Then all of a sudden 10 years down the road their liver or kidneys fail and they wonder why. Sorry I am a downer but one needs to really, really do research and touch base with a doctor who specializes in alternative medicine and drugs. Irish

araminta

« Reply #3 on: June 16, 2019, 04:07:07 AM »
Thank you for your thoughts, Skylar and Irish.   

I expect you're right, it needs more reseach to be sure it's safe.

Although a lot of medications that are prescribed for us have their side effects, some of them quite bad.
Dry eyes (MGD), nose, mouth, labyrinthitis, rashes, dry skin (occasional eczeme), mouth ulcers, constant but fluctuating fatigue.  Blood tests and Schirmers negative,no Sjogrens dx yet.   Flax oil, multivitamins,  saline nasal spray, Hylo forte, Lacrilube, organic castor oil for eyes, moisturisers.

Skylar

« Reply #4 on: June 16, 2019, 11:30:25 AM »
Thank you for your thoughts, Skylar and Irish.   

I expect you're right, it needs more reseach to be sure it's safe.

Although a lot of medications that are prescribed for us have their side effects, some of them quite bad.
I agree with you on medication, I?ve been prescribed two medications that were withdrawn y the FDA because they were causing deaths and my PCP wanted to prescribe another but my endocrinologist nixed the medication before I bought it. He said politely my PCP was terrible mistaken and I switched PCP after that but for another reason but that helped me make the decision sooner.

OTOH there?s more oversight and a ton more research done on medication. No government oversight on supplements except if quite a few people are made severely ill or die does the government have the legal right to make warnings. And most supplements contain contamination of ingredients that if we knew they were in the pill we would never take them and often the active ingredient isn?t there or is in excess. Supplements are tricky to find the safe ones to take. Sadly some of our medication is made in shoddy companies with similar problems but less likely than supplements.

I take B12 and I buy Costco?s because it?s tested by USP which is in independent laboratory. Otherwise I avoid most supplements. People assume wrongly that a supplement, unlike medication can?t harm you and doesn?t have side effects. You rarely see side effect warnings on the label. But they have them but the government can?t compel companies to list them on the label like they do medication.

I write this to make you be aware that it?s tempting to try all kinds of herbal and supplements chasing the rainbow looking for a cure or at least some help for our disease. We need to extra careful.

And it frustrates me that the drugs we take we not developed for autoimmune diseases. If you?re like me you?ve had drugs designed for anti-malaria, cancer etc. some with horrible side effect, none curing us and frankly I?m not sure if any of them really helped me except the anti inflammatory drugs where I could see and feel a response.

araminta

« Reply #5 on: June 17, 2019, 04:29:12 AM »
Of course you're right, Skylar, the oversight of herbal/traditional medicines is lacking.   I completely get what you're saying.

However I have had success with several traditional remedies.  I was on antibiotics seven times in one year for UTIs, I was getting desperate, then I tried some concentrated cranberry tablets and they worked immediately.  (I believe D-Mannose is the key ingredient). So after that I just took them when I thought there was a UTI, I never needed antibiotics for that problem again. 

Diluted tea tree oil was also a godsend for me when I had blepharitis.

I had a seborrheic keratosis on my leg which the dermatologist tried twice to freeze off, but that didn't work.   He told me to go home and just live with it.   Then I tried apple cider vinegar dressings, and the keratosis was cured.

I do think we have to be careful with these things, but the remedies I've mentioned came from trusted sources. 

Valuable though the pharmaceutical industry's contribution can be in many areas, I do wonder if it's very much in their interest to come up with their own compounds rather than to test some very common and cheap remedies that have quite a lot of anecdotal evidence to support them.   

snoweye

« Reply #6 on: June 20, 2019, 04:15:58 AM »
From Examine.com
A number of studies suggest that it has anxiolytic (anti-anxiety) effects; studies are mostly supportive of a notable effect of ashwagandha for this purpose, and it seems to reduce cortisol levels. However, more research is needed before we can have a great deal of confidence in it or know the optimal dose. Ashwagandha may also be able to reduce insomnia, fatigue, and the symptoms of depression, but it hasn't been well-researched for these purposes.

So some limited evidence for anxiolytic and cortisol reducing efforts. Pretty much zero evidence for anything else at this stage.

@Araminta, By how much did you dilute the tree tea oil for your blepharitis? I might try this if mine comes back. Warning for men though, extended use of tea tree oil may reduce testosterone. Another thing to bear in mind, tea tree oil would really sting or perhaps even be dangerous if applied to eyes in a concentration that is too high.

araminta

« Reply #7 on: June 20, 2019, 10:37:00 AM »
Thank you for the info about ashwaganda, Snoweye.

Re. the tea tree oil for blepharitis, this is what to do (as explained to me by Bluegardenia on this forum).

Dilute the tea tree oil 1 part oil to 10 parts distilled water (I couldn't get hold of distilled water so use purified rosewater, which has been fine for me).   Keep that in a bottle.

When you want to treat your eyes, shake the bottle and add 1 part of the mixture to 5 more parts of distilled water.  Put in microwave for a few seconds until quite warm but of course not too hot.   Apply gently to upper and lower eyelids around the eylashes with a Q-tip.

If you're worried about using the tea tree oil you could always start off by diluting it even more than this.   I found it worked within a few days.

irish

• Global Moderator
« Reply #8 on: June 20, 2019, 02:53:12 PM »
Im going to add another thing regarding the treatment for the eyes. The most common treatment is the use of baby shampoo applied with q tips. One can google this on line cause I have seen the "recipe" on line many times.

The interesting part about this treatment is the fact that using the q tip causes some rubbing and manipulation go the glands on the eyelid. This manipulation also helps these glands to empty their secretions. When you have some low grade infection in these glands and massage them gently it does help to empty out the infection over times. So the production used plus the massage does the trick and also some warm packs help also. Irish

Deb 27

« Reply #9 on: June 26, 2019, 04:07:15 AM »
https://www.webmd.com/vitamins/ai/ingredientmono-953/ashwagandha

Web MD has really good reviews of supplements, you just google it and the Web MD article usually comes up. It said that it can stimulate the immune system, so it may not be best for people with auto immune disease.
Sjogrens and RA,  Morphea (skin scleroderma), Hashimoto's, 
Nexium, synthroid, HRT, plaquenil,  Restasis, Maxi-tears supplement, L-glutathionne, CoQ10, folate, trintillex,  multi vitamin. lisinopril.

Jasper

• P SJS; SFN; Sensory Polyneuropathy/Ganglionopathy
« Reply #10 on: July 08, 2019, 07:36:20 AM »
Ashwaganda acts to increase the immune system. This is NOT something we need or want. It may worsen our condition and increase flares.

It may also interfere with the immune suppressants that we are using such as Prednisone, Rituximab, Cellcept, Imuran, Cyclosporin (in Restasis), etc. It would make the immune suppressants less effective for us.

I would never use Ashwaganda for these reasons.
ANA 1:160; SS-A+; MSG +; Plaquenil, Rituxan infusions, Restasis, HRT, Curcumin, Calcium, CoQ10, NAC, Resveratrol, Whole Omega, Omega 3, R Lipoic Acid, Acetyl L Carnitine, Krill Oil, Mag. Threonate, Bio-Collagen UC II, NAD+, & Vit A, B, C, D, E, K 1 & 2.