Author Topic: Getting through a week trip with IBS  (Read 285 times)

Navigator

Getting through a week trip with IBS
« on: July 02, 2019, 03:22:10 PM »
I was wondering if anyone had a way to get through a weeklong trip with "excursions" in the morning and not have the whole thing implode because of IBS. Is there any drug I can take for a week to let me get through the daY?  Otherwise I will have to not eat for a week.

I have early morning issues.  It's embarrassing.  My hubby kind of gets it but I think when we go on this vacation to Spain( first vacation in over 5 years) he is going to not get that I need to be near a WC in the am because I may need it without lots of warning.

I am normally ok for the day by 10am but not sure that the schedule will accommodate that.

This is really embarrassing. How do people cope? 
Hashimotos thyroiditis, Primary SJS, IBS, autoimmune hearing loss, leucopenia, arthritis,asthma.
Synthroid, Plaquenil, Crestor, Evoxac,Vit D , Fish Oil, Restasis, Daily Walking, Sleep, Baby aspirin, Probiotic, avoid gluten,dairy and sugar, hearing aide, gratitude, big dog

irish

• Global Moderator
Re: Getting through a week trip with IBS
« Reply #1 on: July 02, 2019, 04:04:56 PM »
Ask your doctor for Cholestyrmine or Questran is the other name. This drug is a powder that is used to control high cholesterol. It binds with fat in the stool which helps the body get rid of the cholesterol.

I take it part time now...my GI had to write the script under the high cholesterol diagnosis cause insurance doesn't pay for IBS or diarrhea.  The diarrhea is usually caused by the bile in the stool which irritates the small bowel and some of the lower stomach. This causes the colon to run the feces through really fast.

Take this product mixed in orange juice(I use diet coke) and it absorbs the bile in the stomach and colon and the irritation is less and the colon slows down. You will have to get this early enough to get into the hang of how to take it. It does slow the colon down and I even feared I would get constipated.

I even learned to eat better. If I eat fatty foods I can get in trouble. Taking in the morning and evening has helped me. The down side of this is that you have to take meds one hour before the Questran or 4 hours after the Questran in order to not interfere with absorption. Good luck