Author Topic: Getting a good night's sleep  (Read 1297 times)

irish

• Global Moderator
Re: Getting a good night's sleep
« Reply #15 on: July 05, 2019, 11:22:01 PM »
I think I posted on a thread about Ambien previously. I was driving a long way and listening to a program put on by doctors about Ambien. They told about how so many people are taking it. Our lives are so busy with both parents working, meals to cook, homework and school activities with the kids, cleaning house, washing clothes, etc. Then at the end of the day parents get on the computer or smart phone and piddle away the time and don't get to sleep until well after midnight.

They take their ambient so they sleep good and get up early to drive to work. Strong coffee is a must n the morning. It turns out that the statistics show that there are many morning accidents during the morning traffic and the people who study this have found that many of the accidents are caused because people are hung over from their sleeping pill. Like mentioned earlier, they do not have enough sleep hours to get the drug out of their system before they get up and go to work.

I don't know what the problem is or the cure for it but I would bet a lot of people would say that we should limit our electronic use. Also, I wonder if a person would take half a dose of their sleeping pill...would they sleep and awaken in a more alert condition.  It sure if for for thought. Good luck all. Irish

araminta

« Reply #16 on: November 20, 2019, 06:53:34 AM »
Just an update on this.   I have been taking a magnesium supplement for over 2 months now, as suggested by Deb27, and it seems to be having a beneficial effect.   It's not like a knock-out pill  :), but I seem to settle down to sleep significantly faster than I did before.   I have not taken an OTC sleeping pill in that time.

I still wake up occasionally in the night, but usually manage to get back to sleep.

I take it as magnesium glycinate, 200g a day, because that was supposed to be the least likely form of magnesium to cause diarrhoea.

I am pleased and hopeful this effect will last, so many thanks to Deb27 for the suggestion.

Dry eyes (MGD), nose, mouth, labyrinthitis, rashes, dry skin (occasional eczeme), mouth ulcers, constant but fluctuating fatigue.  Blood tests and Schirmers negative,no Sjogrens dx yet.   Flax oil, multivitamins,  saline nasal spray, Hylo forte, Lacrilube, organic castor oil for eyes, moisturisers.

irish

• Global Moderator
« Reply #17 on: November 20, 2019, 01:07:24 PM »
Have you informed your doctor that you are taking the magnesium?? I does help sleep and also constipatioin but it can also cause muscle weakness in our arms and legs and also a muscle weakness that can affect our heart and cause problems. Your doctor may want to do a magnesium level.

Just wanted you to know about these side effects. Good luck. Irish

araminta

« Reply #18 on: November 21, 2019, 06:12:27 AM »
Irish, thank you very much for that warning.

I think I am well within the recommended daily limits for magnesium, especially as I am vegan.   I've had no problems with muscle weakness in arms or legs.   However I will mention this to my doctor next time I see him.  :)

Dry eyes (MGD), nose, mouth, labyrinthitis, rashes, dry skin (occasional eczeme), mouth ulcers, constant but fluctuating fatigue.  Blood tests and Schirmers negative,no Sjogrens dx yet.   Flax oil, multivitamins,  saline nasal spray, Hylo forte, Lacrilube, organic castor oil for eyes, moisturisers.

brizzo

« Reply #19 on: November 23, 2019, 07:26:54 AM »
I'm going to add my two cents in here...

For years, actually decades, my P/C Doc had me on benzo's for "anxiety". That and Ambien to sleep. The supposed "anxiety" was causing IBS... a gift from my Father's Mother to all his children... WHOOPEEE!!!! Thanks MomMom!!!!

Well, it was just a a symptom, not the cause. I was diagnosed with adult onset ADHD. At the same time, I had had it with the benzos. So, I decided to taper off. Not an easy thing to do but the Adderall and the Vyvanse really had a huge impact on the IBS, stress and "anxiety". Once I was refocused, I could take my kind off of things and my problems were solved... BUT...

Sleep was hard in coming. Not because of the stimulant therapy but because I was on benzo's and ambien for decades. I didn't know who to go to sleep anymore. I had to relearn good sleep hygiene. No "blue screens", phones, tablets, etc... two hours before bed. When in bed, I could read for a little but that was it. Bed was for sleeping and I kept the room dark and cold. Lot's of blankets with some weight to them helped settle me down...

Still, I was having trouble. Well, I live in California and cannabis is legal. I do not suggest that this is for everyone but it might work for some. I had stopped "smoking" pot years and years ago. I went to the dispensary and bought a vape cartridge and battery that had "the most potent indica" they had. Indica eases pain, promotes relaxation, and it knocks you the "F" out. Don't get a "sativa" or a hybrid. They will keep you up. It works hella great. I drop right off.

If it is legal where you are. If you can tolerate it. If it doesn't push back on your personal morals/ethics then I urge you to try it. Just before you shut off the light. I can guarantee you will get a good night's sleep.

Wacky Tobaccy... who would have thought?!

araminta

« Reply #20 on: November 24, 2019, 06:06:11 AM »
Brizzo - I'm in the UK and cannabis is illegal!   But thank you for your thoughts.   I would just say be careful with the vaping, it's now thought that that can damage the lungs.

I expect there's no one sleep solution to suit everybody   It's probably wise to start with the gentle things first (dark room, sleep hygiene etc.).   But Sjogrens does seem to bring insomnia as one of its symptoms, strange really when we're so tired all the time.